Xbox price rise hinted by Phil Spencer

xbox.jpg

During the Wall Street Journal's annual Tech Live conference, Xbox's Phil Spencer hinted at future price hikes across the platform, from consoles to games to Game Pass.

"We've held price on our console, we've held price on games... and our subscription," Spencer said. "I don't think we'll be able to do that forever. I do think at some point we'll have to raise some prices on certain things, but going into this holiday we thought it was important to maintain the prices."

It might have been an expected move from Xbox given the general trend in the industry. But it's safe to say that the same prices will apply at least till this holiday season for Xbox gaming options.

:arrow: SOURCE

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This sort of thing is precisely why it's important to not let them force out the physical games market. They know that if you can wait a couple months most titles can be had for half price. With digital they will have full control over the pricing of games forever, including raising subscription costs once they have people hooked on GP.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this confirm they're now resigned to the fact the Activision deal won't go through after all?

Surely this puts a nail in the coffin, nope hopes of that going through, with increased prices and price fixing, before an merger even occurs.
seeing how they havent acted upon it yet, they're clearly just lying. They'll price fix until the acquisition goes through and then prices will shoot up the roof

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes. No more refrigerator coming in.

Seriously, though, the XSeX is quite affordable today. It was to be expected a bit of a price increase.

I seldom find people complaining about the overpriced PS5 and Sammitch....

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It did but considering we need an alternative to the standard cash and payment systems, I'm not giving up on Crypto (mainly BTC and BAT though I won't buy any of it).

Everyone talks about how we need an alternative to government's money, yet no one has a definitive answer.
It has always been my understanding that the value of government's money is guaranteed by the gold kept in a secure location, such as Fort Knox in the USA. If it wasn't for that gold, money would just be worthless pieces of paper (more like plastic sheets in Canada). Is there such a guarantee for the value of crypto currencies? Probably not, I guess.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seeing how they havent acted upon it yet, they're clearly just lying. They'll price fix until the acquisition goes through and then prices will shoot up the roof
Not sure if I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me. By price fixing I mean Sony and Microsoft illegally setting high prices and not competing. I don’t mean a price lock or price guarantee (I've probably just misunderstood you)

Broduskii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly the only "console" I am planing on getting is a Steam deck.
Though I do need to be honest with my self, I pay roughly $100 a year for Destiny 2.
With the expansions and seasonal passes, and odd purchase of a cosmetic item.
But that feels different than paying more a single game since D2 is more of a subscription in my mind .

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I've misunderstood you, or you've misunderstood me. By price fixing I mean Sony and Microsoft illegally setting high prices and not competing. I don’t mean a price lock or price guarantee (I've probably just misunderstood you)
i thought price fixing was literally fixing the price in place. I didn't know it was called price locking

Broduskii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought price fixing was literally fixing the price in place. I didn't know it was called price locking
It somewhat like the Phoebus cartel, back when light bulbs were a major break through.
Basically they had started to make bulbs that lasted too long (in their eyes) and so people bought less.
All the major brands in the market signed an agreement to make shitty bulbs so that people would have to buy more.

"The cartel lowered operational costs and worked to standardize the life expectancy of light bulbs at 1,000 hours[6] (down from 2,500 hours),[6] and raised prices without fear of competition, in what has been described as a "classic example of planned obsolescence".[7] The cartel tested their bulbs and fined manufacturers for bulbs that lasted more than 1,000 hours. A 1929 table listed the amount of Swiss francs paid that depended on the exceeding hours of lifetime.[8]"
Wikipedia

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The biggest irony here is the fact that even greedtendo isn't raising prices yet the supposedly cheapest, most inclusive acessible company of these 3 are raising prices.....
True, but Nintendo has hardware from 2012 in their newest console, and their first-party games barely qualify as being more than AA by modern standards. Their profit margins are still massive as a result, even despite global inflation.

EagleRuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

During the Wall Street Journal's annual Tech Live conference, Xbox's Phil Spencer hinted at future price hikes across the platform, from consoles to games to Game Pass.

"We've held price on our console, we've held price on games... and our subscription," Spencer said. "I don't think we'll be able to do that forever. I do think at some point we'll have to raise some prices on certain things, but going into this holiday we thought it was important to maintain the prices."

It might have been an expected move from Xbox given the general trend in the industry. But it's safe to say that the same prices will apply at least till this holiday season for Xbox gaming options.

:arrow: SOURCE
It's all about greed.

Reactions: yoyoyo69

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has always been my understanding that the value of government's money is guaranteed by the gold kept in a secure location, such as Fort Knox in the USA. If it wasn't for that gold, money would just be worthless pieces of paper (more like plastic sheets in Canada). Is there such a guarantee for the value of crypto currencies? Probably not, I guess.
I don't know about other countries, but the US has been off the gold standard for quite a while now. The US can literally print as many dollars as they want. It is sort of unfair for other countries, since USD is basically the global currency.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about other countries, but the US has been off the gold standard for quite a while now. The US can literally print as many dollars as they want. It is sort of unfair for other countries, since USD is basically the global currency.
That reminds me, the Euro looks and feels like discounted Dollar bills and coins. Or even Monopoly money. lol

Then again, that currency has only been around for a little over 20 years

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :ph34r: