Xbox and Discord to partner up to let players link their accounts

xbox-homescreen.png

Microsoft and Discord have announced that soon players will be able to link and connect their Discord and Xbox accounts, for bonus functionality. This means that within in the gaming chat app, Discord, you'll be able to see what games your friends are playing on Xbox One, and join in. This will start out as a beta feature for those in the Xbox Insider program, and it will roll out in the coming months to all users. Major Nelson over at Xbox claims that Microsoft is working with Discord for added functionality, but a simple profile link is the only thing that's been announced so far.

In response to your feedback, you will now have the option to link your Discord account to your Xbox account, making it easier than ever to see what your friends are playing. If you are playing Sea of Thieves on your Xbox, you can now choose to give your Discord friends the ability to see that and decide whether they want to hop on their Xbox and join you.

:arrow: Source

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just gonna call it, M$ is gonna buy Discord and it's gonna be another Skype. Then they gonna shutdown Skype like the did MSN and the cycle repeated. M$ is a predicable company.
Nah. They're gonna buy it and integrate it into Skype as "Skype for gamers".

Reactions: SomeGamer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nah. They're gonna buy it and integrate it into Skype as "Skype for gamers".
Skype's name and reputation is completely tainted and not worth saving. They didn't do that with MSN and if they decide to buy Discord, then they won't do that with Skype.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Skype's name and reputation is completely tainted and not worth saving. They didn't do that with MSN and if they decide to buy Discord, then they won't do that with Skype.
I don't like skype, but the name is still synonimous for "video telephony/conferencing" to a lot of non-tech people. That's why microsoft killed Lync and replaced it with "skype for business".

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't like skype, but the name is still synonimous for "video telephony/conferencing" to a lot of non-tech people. That's why microsoft killed Lync and replaced it with "skype for business".
Not to get too off topic, but if this situation were to happen they would most likely market Discord as their "Skype for gaming," and keep skype for business until they can find some way to shoehorn them together. But hopefully we don't have to have this conversation for real and M$ doesn't pull a Microsoft.

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I couldn't have said better myself. I'd just like to point out how Discord's business model is super aggressive, running a lot of ads but offers no substantial returns by any means except selling data, which we know is worth a LOT of money in the market, and is allowed by their terms of service. Also the fact it's not Open Source, that should be enough reason not to use it, because there exists many open source alternatives that we know aren't even capable of the same potential undercover practices.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is what iv been talking to my friends about. with them giving it discord I think Xbox in the next 5 to 10 years will be a platform like steam and be used by pc gamers.
the only thing that xbox one does not have is windows and a way for you to upgrade parts. Xbox is slowly slowly turning its system into a pc to transition xbox gamers into pc gamers.
I don't think it'll turn them into pc players for the simple reason that those who prefer console over pc want to play with controllers rather than having a mouse and keyboard setup in their living room. The way I see it, if consoles are ever gonna fuse with pcs then they need a common controller to move on to, and for the moment there's only VR that's changing the experience on both platforms. However, VR's situation is still uncertain.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: leerpsp
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
If what is claimed about OpenFeint is true--they collected information on users without consent, sold it, and then explicitly denied collecting that information--, the CEO should have known about it. If the CEO knew about it and did nothing to stop it, he's complicit in it. Given the claim and him selling the company are within a month of each other, it's hard to argue he was unaware. To then go on and form Discord, there's no particular reason to believe that he wouldn't continue the same tactics with the new service if it's possible unless he's repudiated his past behavior and shown evidence that he's against the practice.

While I agree this is true, the point "stuff ... that you can't possibly ... know" holds for a lot of things. We don't know what all the various US government monitor has meant as far as actually monitoring you or I. We do know that they've capable of monitoring you or I and they've lied about the ability or their actual activities, even if the examples leaked were of a personal nature.

Again, read the first link. It is my opinion that one should presume that any company that can monitor and collect your information will, so the only safe protocol to use for private communication where it's impossible for a company to monitor and collect that information. Further, it is my opinion that any company that collects your information will try to monetizing that information either directly by selling it or indirectly by using that information as a platform to sell ads. In either case, almost any ToS will either explicitly tell you they will use your information, have weasel words to allow everything short of using your information today with plans to change the ToS unilaterally to use your information, or they'll just lie and use your information in breach of the ToS.

So far, the news has consistently backed up this position except in extraordinary circumstances where the people involved aren't interested in financial gain or are generally incompetent, although the latter case still leaves room for bankruptcy to sell any collected information.
If you personally wish to be cautious, go right ahead. But don't spread misinformation or present your opinion as fact. That's all.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you personally wish to be cautious, go right ahead. But don't spread misinformation or present your opinion as fact.

Speaking of which, as much as I responded to you, I wasn't the original poster. So, your own statement is spreading misinformation by implying I was spreading misinformation or presenting my opinion as fact. Now, if you had worded it "But one shouldn't spread spread misinformation or present one's opinion as fact" that wouldn't apply those valid words of wisdom upon me as if they need applied to me personally.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of which, as much as I responded to you, I wasn't the original poster. So, your own statement is spreading misinformation by implying I was spreading misinformation or presenting my opinion as fact. Now, if you had worded it "But one shouldn't spread spread misinformation or present one's opinion as fact" that wouldn't apply those valid words of wisdom upon me as if they need applied to me personally.
Oh whoops, didn't notice you weren't the original poster. My bad. Suppose you're right, then :P

TapNorX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hah..came to the same conclusion while reading the title. next victim for M$ is marked. lets hope not but i doubt.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, DO THE METH!!! +1