Hardware Would you change the Wii U's name, and if so, to what?

Do you like the name of the Wii U?

• Total voters

Dr Eggman

I am THE Eggman.
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
How about going retro? It could be the ''Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System (UNES)''.
unes.png

Nintendo wants to cater to the core gaming audience, THIS is how to do it. I know that I (and a few other people, I'm sure) would buy this in a goddamn heartbeat if they named it that.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The name Wii U makes no commercial sense if interest in the Wii is at an all time low.

Personally i'd go for something like the NVision

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not that I find anything wrong with Wii U, but i really like the sound (and homage) of SUPER WII
I know we're just joking around here, but sometimes I do wonder if any of you ever gave these names a second thought...

The "Wii" alone was a silly name, far worse than the project's codename - the "Revolution", and adding prefixes like "Super" or "Mega" is just... ugh.

It was a domain of the 90'ties - Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, Ultra 64, Mega CD, TurboGrafx-16, SuperFX 1 and 2 (SNES on-cartridge chip) - nothing had a simple "name", everything needed a prefix that further enhances its degree of awesome for some reason... weird, isn't it?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with foxi. I think the Wii name should be done with, period, and super/mega/etc doesn't work either... so far the 2 names I mentioned in the OP (Nintendo 6, Nintendo Revolution) and Nintendo Sigma are my favorites

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo Stream really sounded appealing to me - it went with the theme of the video stream to the controller wherever you are, whatever you do. It also fitted the logo of the "wave"... but I suppose that Wii U is cemented now. :)

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely. While I myself have no problem with the name, I have a feeling the name and the design of the system combined would have a negative effect on sales. I could already imagine people having trouble trying to tell the difference between the Wii and the WiiU.

However, if they were to change either the design or the name, I feel it would be better off. Although, this late in development I'd imagine changing the name would be easier then changing the design, so it'd be better if they'd change the name. Anything without Wii in the title would be better.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after the N64 we had: the GBA, the GameCube, the DS, and the Wii (4 consoles)
so... this new console should be named...

the Nintendo 69 B-)

(the 3DS doesnt count because it ruins my joke)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/l6ek7TmdGE8?si=k_qXsn8Finqhz70P +1