NULL

Would you change the Wii U's name, and if so, to what?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xwatchmanx, May 11, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

12.4%
  2. No

40.0%
  3. Not sure

5.3%
  4. Could care less

19.4%
  5. Yes, but it could be better

22.9%
  1. crazyj3ss

crazyj3ss hmm

Jan 20, 2012
    United States
    Ha, you thought I'd tell?
    I personally like the Nintendo Stream(or whatever twist they could put on the spelling), heard a few people use it a while back.

Also, as much as I dislike the name Wii U as well, it isn't all gibberish. In one way it's a contradiction, yet in another it still makes sense; It can be a multiplayer regular console(the 'Wii' part), yet can be turned into a more individualised experience with it being able to stream the game to the tablet controller(the 'U' part obviously).

2. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    I like Stream also but I think it would be better if it was more like if they just used the normal WiiU, but used a caption like they did with Wii (Wii would like to play or something like that) and DSi (What will you and I do?) Something like Wii(Stream, Fight, Cooperate, PLAY with)U
    That way it makes more sense as a title.

Also what's with all the penis jokes -_-

3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy ~I have crippling depression~

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    U don't like my Wii Wii?

:creep:

4. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    Those are good names, I have some other suggestions:

Nintendo Power (Power NES)
    Nintendo Extreme
    Lumine
    Omnia
    Infinitum
    Animus
    Eclexior
    Paresona
    Perpetuno

5. AceWarhead

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    Nintendo Revolution.
    Or Coffee Table.
    OR Lounge
    or Lobby
    or Chill

6. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Nice idea for a topic. I am not using Sarcasm by the way.

I don't like the idea of the name Wii-U.

Some ideas of mine can be:

Wii-C (We See)
    Wii2
    .. can't come up with more lol.

7. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Drop the Wii branding entirely, different names for each system was part of what made nintendo different to the playstation and x box

1 person likes this.
  8. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Wii Z would be my suggestion. It offers fans the illusion of a finality to the disk based consoles (ultimate) OR (if the trend continues) can also be construed as Wii Zeta, where "zeta" is the 6th letter of the Greek alphabet and this would be Ninty's 6th installment in the home console arena. It would essentially leave a door open in either direction which is a good marketing move in my opinion. Then again, "wizz." :unsure:

1 person likes this.
  9. RichardLaughter

RichardLaughter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    honestly i dont think the name is that much of a problem. :) id keep it. its not the name that defines the console, its the games on it.

10. WitoRIT92

WitoRIT92 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2009
    United States
    As long as the console does well with 3rd party and performs better overall as a system then my chips are thrown in!

11. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Bad and good Idea.

Wii Z = Weezy
    Weezy = Lil Wayne (rapper)

1 person likes this.
  12. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    PlayStation 4.
    Let the morons who buy brands mindlessly rage.

1 person likes this.
  13. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

14. xwatchmanx
    OP

xwatchmanx The Dark Souls of GBAtemp

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Sheesh calm down, dude. He's just playing around. No need to get so offended. ;-)

15. berlinka

berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Jul 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Harderwijk, Netherlands
    Hmmm, I don't know. It's another year, another console, another attempt to conquer the world for a short period of time:

I'd say "Nintendo Wiihope" would be accurate (I admit it's not a name that will SELL a product)

16. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as offended, I was only trying to come off as annoyed. Because it was a needless post he originally made.

17. KooPako

KooPako Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2012
    United States
    as long as it has wii in its name there will be confusion,
    it should have an original name
    or else we'll have to hear stupid news about how its sales are poor because people think it's nothing but an upgraded wii

like in last e3 that a lot of people, even me, thought that wii u was the controller after nintendo's presentation

nintendo already complained because people were mistaking the 3ds and ds, don't they ever learn?

some names I read somewhere that are not that awesome but are better were
    Ultra Nintendo ( would be tops, because it'd be a reference to both snes and 64 )
    Neo Nintendo

either way i think the wii u is going to be the new dreamcast, got released too early for the 128 bit gen and got his ass kicked when the ps2 was released

Nintendo is doing all the stupid things sega used to do, like releasing a console too early for its generation ( or in this case too late maybe? )
    also either we'll be seeing another nintendo console soon or the wii u will live up to its name and be the new wii, which is, being the weakest next gen console

( Playstation 4 name's waaaaay worse tho "Orbis" )

18. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    I was actually just pointing out the flaw in his argument.
    The only things that Nintendo has made with different names like that was N64 and Gamecube.

19. duffmmann

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Which are different from the NES systems and Wii systems. Just sucks the Wii couldn't be like every other Nintendo system (except the nes) and have no other system named like it.

Again I use system here to mean console, not console and handheld. Not something I thought I'd have to specify, but I know better now.

20. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    I'm hoping Nintendo fail so hard in this generation to learn how to treat the consumer in a descent way.

A screen on the controler? They already know people doesn't like it, but because Iwata wants it they will force this into the consumer.
    DLC? No, they say they don't like to release a uncomplete game, but release 3 or more versions of the same pokémon game.
    Achievements? No, they think they take out the fun of gamaing and don't do a think that almost everybody wants
    Unappropriate Media? N64 used catridges, Gamecube used Mini-DVD, and the rumours say that WiiU will use a new media, made by Nintendo
    Limit of storage on online service: Wii users understand pretty well this, WiiWare games should have 40mb or less.
    Bad online shop system: DSiWare, WiiWare, e-shop, all of them suck, they are pretty messy, and lack titles.
    No third party games: N64 had almost none because of the catridges, Wii had almost none because it's powerless compared to PS3 and X360, what abou WiiU?

Again and again Nintendo makes the same mistakes, it's not so hard to understand what mistakes they made, and correct them