Hardware Would you change the Wii U's name, and if so, to what?

Do you like the name of the Wii U?

• Total voters

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If im not mistaken the N64 had a codename ultra 64 or sumthing like that sooo.....Nintendo Ultra Pad :yaywii: To go with yo Power Glove

Also WiiPad......Highlarious

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wiiner.

Guys, who want's to come over to my house and play with my Wiiner?!?!

So, I played with my Wiiner last night, and I had a great time. There's a lot of fun games you can play with it.

Mommy took my Wiiner away.

Billy played with my Wiiner too much and it doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: 2 people

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I know we're just joking around here, but sometimes I do wonder if any of you ever gave these names a second thought...

The "Wii" alone was a silly name, far worse than the project's codename - the "Revolution", and adding prefixes like "Super" or "Mega" is just... ugh.

It was a domain of the 90'ties - Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, Ultra 64, Mega CD, TurboGrafx-16, SuperFX 1 and 2 (SNES on-cartridge chip) - nothing had a simple "name", everything needed a prefix that further enhances its degree of awesome for some reason... weird, isn't it?

while i respect your opinion on prefixes, and i suppose you dont harbor much love for this generation of suffixes (wii excluded;) I still think Super Wii has a nice ring to it and has a healthy call-back to their days of Third-Party Love. Of course 'Wii' was a silly name, but honestly a large number of names are silly on their first arrival (X-Box?? who didnt have a chuckle when first hearing that, granted maybe not as silly as wii), but they grow on people. I also believe the 'Super' lends itself to being seen as a New product and recognized as such over the Wii U, sparing confusion for those that dont follow gaming conferences

S

SixSenseEagle

i would call it the Wii Orbit and as soon as start i would have option to select your intro music this would be mines by inserting music on the sd or just the orginal wii theme song by default and then i would have the wii theme would look likehttp://s1159.photobu...19945324rr7.jpg and if you want more wii themes i would download it off wii shop and you also have an option to redesign the wii themes also the color in the background how however you like that would be one Epic console with an Epic name!!! :)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is just kinda a bad name.

Generally Nintendo has made sense with their console names. NES, Nintendo Entertainment System, straightforward and to the point. Super NES implies that it's much like the NES, but now "Super" (aka better) with more stuff (better graphics, controls, etc). Nintendo 64, it's a 64-bit Nintendo system. At the time, it did introduce 3D graphics as pretty much a standard for the system so it made sense to make a name about the power of the system. Gamecube, well, it's a cube. That games. Wii, since they were aiming for this whole "family friendly broad audience" thing, it meant "we" as in "everyone". The system is now accessible to "we", or everyone. Wii U, it's a contradiction. On one hand, Wii implies broad appeal and accessibility to everyone. But then U kinda defeats this by saying it's aimed at you. So it's a system for everyone... but only for you? What? I'm guessing they were trying to say "It's still a family system but now with more appeal to you (the gamer)" but instead it just comes out as a contradiction. I know they want to stick to the Wii brand since the Wii brand was popular (I mean they had the system itself, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Party, Wii Sports Resort, etc) but the name comes off as just stupid.

Reactions: 2 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least its using someform of creative thought . unlike ps1 ps2 and then hmm ps3 whynot.

Well the first one was just called "Playstation" and was only dubbed "Playstation One" when its redesign was released at the same time as the Playstation 2. And the Playstation name just keeps with a singular brand, which is rather good marketing. I mean you have PS1, PS2, PS3, then Playstation Portable (which is like a new Playstation, but now Portable!) and Playstation Vita (Vita meaning "life", as in it'll bring a new "life" to the gaming market or some bullshit like that).

Reactions: 1 person

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
From sony's point of view i agree , but i was merely pointing out they are trying .. lol.. wether they are trying hard enough is i guess the point of the thread. imho i'd prefer an amazing system with no name , than some sexily titled hunk-o-junk.

I personally assume they are saying that the wii as a system is for us all. and the Wii U is for us all too but U can also play on the tablet all on your lonesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head