Hardware Would swapping the Wii's hard drive fix a bricked Wii?

kyle9252

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So last year I bricked my Wii by uninstalling the System Menu .wad when I was messing with themes. Would replacing the hard drive fix it? (And would replacing the hard drive give it the old boot1 that BootMii uses to install as Boot2?)

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no hard drive in a Wii... the only memory is a NAND chip, which cannot be transferred between consoles. You can transfer NANDs between two consoles if you convert the NANDs with a PC application. Unfortunately, I've never done that and I don't know the specific steps.

kyle9252

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no hard drive in a Wii... the only memory is a NAND chip, which cannot be transferred between consoles. You can transfer NANDs between two consoles if you convert the NANDs with a PC application. Unfortunately, I've never done that and I don't know the specific steps.
Could you reflash the NAND or replace the NAND chip?

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can do both of those things. Reflashing the NAND requires special hardware. But you can't simply swap NANDs or swap NAND chips because every Wii NAND has console-specific keys. The issue is you need a NAND backup from before your Wii was bricked in order to get the console-specific keys. I don't know if you have that.

Last edited by JacksonS,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj