would it be possible to edit the MIOS to play gamecube games via wifi?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by robman62, Feb 11, 2009.

1. robman62
    OP

Member robman62 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is this even a possibility? I was wondering if there is any way to play Phantasy Star or 1080 avalanche online as if the gamecube broadband adapter is connected? [​IMG]

2. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Cannot be done.

Only way to play GC games online is with a Gamecube + broadband adapter.

3. robman62
    OP

United States
    dang, I think Ninty should have at least thought of this as a possibility in the future

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    That's a security issue. Nintendo decided that if a gamecube game is launched, the Wii shuts down all hardware not present in a gamecube, that's for example usb, bluetooth, wifi and the sd card. They did this, because they didn't want the Wii to be hacked at the release day, as it would have been very easy to change the gamecube homebrew to use the Wii hardware.

5. Fat Slaughter Ba

Newcomer Fat Slaughter Ba Advanced Member

Canada
    Well, considering there was only 7 games that actually used it, it's no surprise it wasn't added with the Wii.

6. robman62
    OP

United States

OIC, do you think Nintendo will make an update to allow it or is it a hardware impossibility or rather, the hackers will ever crack this, like via a gamecube backup loader/emulator of sorts?

then again Nintendo could just re release those games(that for the most part sold pretty poorly) for the wii under the new control premise.

7. WhiteWingedKnigh

Member WhiteWingedKnigh GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well Nintendo isn't going to release every single Cube title with new controls, I'm sure they will release their flagship games like Metroid, Mario, and other games, possibly other titles that have sold extremely well. But I want Prime 1 and 2 in my hands now!

Its not far the Japanese gets it and we have to wait wahh!!!

8. geegee

Member geegee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The main reason that the wii hardware shuts down when booting a gamecube game has nothing to do with security. The wii has extra memory and access to additional hardware. Gamecube games were never programmed to run with such "extras" and wouldn't play correctly.

9. james4204

Newcomer james4204 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    also all the phantasy star online servers are shut down, unless you access a private server

10. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think bushing and marcan would disagree with you on that point, since the entire intro to their 25c3 presentation was predicated on it....in fact, a flaw in the GC security (ability to view and parse/dump uncleared memory) is how hackers broke in and got the common-key.....which MIOS itself is signed with.