Hardware Would dual analog make a difference?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Fabis94 said:
Of course it would be better. It would be real FPS gaming, in stead of this half-assed touch screen shooting.
Duel analog is a pathetic excuse for an FPS control scheme. The mouse-keyboard combination is the only way to play FPS games, and the touchscreen controls are the only thing that comes close in precision and speed. Trying to play FPS games with dual analog is simply laughable.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
Of course it would be better. It would be real FPS gaming, in stead of this half-assed touch screen shooting.

All I hear is "RAWRGHHHH HALLLOOOOOOOOOO!!! TOUCH SCREEN BAD CUZ NOT HALO"

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to an E3 interview, for FPS's aiming will be controlled head movement or something like that, so if you looks somewhere it will aim there, something like that.

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
According to an E3 interview, for FPS's aiming will be controlled head movement or something like that, so if you looks somewhere it will aim there, something like that.
It works like this, by using the in-built gyroscope.

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 360 controller was built around the premise of FPS control-but it sucks for fighting games-not every gaming console has to cater to the FPS crowd I seriously dont understand the obsession with that genre at all>_>

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat said:
Fabis94 said:

And all i hear is "derp herp i'm a nintendo fanboy and i've never played any real FPS' so i don't know what i'm talking about"

@Veho: Really? It's ironic how you say that the dual-analog system is a pathetic excuse for a control scheme. Like REALLY ironic.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Wouldn't make any difference to me, who the hell wants to play an FPS on a handheld anyway? If you want to play traditional FPS games then do it on your home console, there are lots of games that play to the strengths of the handheld format, play those on the go instead of trying to shoe-horn a home console experience into your hand. That's the mistake Sony made and why it wasn't worth getting a PSP.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Wouldn't make any difference to me, who the hell wants to play an FPS on a handheld anyway? If you want to play traditional FPS games then do it on your home console, there are lots of games that play to the strengths of the handheld format, play those on the go instead of trying to shoe-horn a home console experience into your hand. That's the mistake Sony made and why it wasn't worth getting a PSP.
The mistake Sony made was making a Portable PlayStation, If I wanted to play PS games I would play on a big screen and at home, and that's what I did by investing in a video out cable.

With experince playing on a PSP, you do need another analog input when playing a shooter whether it be first or third. Other games really just don't need it, like Crisis Core and God of War, since you can use the L and R buttons, If I remember correctly.

For RE:Revelation and MGS 3DS, they will use the touch screen. I still haven't played peace walker, I need to down..... I mean buy the game since I don't know what the controls on that are. MGS 3DS could possibly use a similar control scheme to Peace Walker.

For lefty's Im sorry Nintendo just doesn't love you
rolleyes.gif
. You might have to use the DS like a fight pad, like how people hold PS controllers the other way when playing tekken.

If they added a another analog I don't know if either the touch screen or the other stick would be less used. Like in platform adventure games the touchscreen may have been reduced to a gimmick, where the other option would have been to "press b" instead of touching the screen.

If the 3DS did have dual analog, then that pretty much means good bye PS2P, since 2 screen are better than one (Playing yugioh is much easier on DS), with >PSP graphics and touchscreen I can now play Yugioh games with the tag force graphics with a touchscreen!!, the PS2P would have nothing special other than the graphics.

Can't really say if a second analog makes a difference, I don't tend to play shooters on PSP, I leave that to the main consoles.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Fabis94 said:
No it wouldn't. If anything a 2nd analogue stick would be a detriment on a portable console. The reason dual analog works on home consoles is that they have 4 shoulder buttons to work with meaning there are more things you can do without taking your thumbs off the camera controls. Put dual analogue on a portable and suddenly things are more cramped. You have 2 shoulder buttons to work with and its a lot more awkward to switch your thumb between face and analogue stick (think about the anatomy of a DS or PSP compared to a 360 or PS3 controller and you should be able to figure out why) FPSes would be awkward and annoying. The DS Touchscreen method is not quite ideal (only having access to the D-Pad and 1 shoulder button plus problems for DSLite users that are left handed) but allows things to be mapped to the touchscreen for easy access as well as an intuitive control mechanic.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that, yes, it would in fact make a difference.

People are overlooking the fact that, even though it is there, games don't have to use it. It would simply give more options, and people like options.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Fabis94 said:
@Veho: Really? It's ironic how you say that the dual-analog system is a pathetic excuse for a control scheme. Like REALLY ironic.
You don't say. Care to elaborate?

BTW, I said it was no good for FPS games. Did you miss that part?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Fabis94 said:
monkat said:
Fabis94 said:

And all i hear is "derp herp i'm a nintendo fanboy and i've never played any real FPS' so i don't know what i'm talking about"

I fail to see any irony at all. Have you never played a PC shooter?
I managed to decipher the madness, but at first all I heard at first was "I HAZ BIO ASSASSINS CALL OF GEARS EFFECT REDEMPTION IV: ODST AND CANT PLAY ON PORTABLE! DFGSDGSDSAGDDERP"

jimwhat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
Fabis94 said:
monkat said:
Fabis94 said:

I managed to decipher the madness, but at first all I heard at first was "I HAZ BIO ASSASSINS CALL OF GEARS EFFECT REDEMPTION IV: ODST AND CANT PLAY ON PORTABLE! DFGSDGSDSAGDDERP"

That would be the coolest FPS ever made
yaynds.gif

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
lol why didint you photoshop so both analog sticks would be at the button
smile.gif
that way it will become a ps3 controller clone ! or the new PS3 Portable Controler 3D

Eighteen

Trophies
Website
3DGamelayer.yolasite.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkStriker said:
lol why didint you photoshop so both analog sticks would be at the button
smile.gif
that way it will become a ps3 controller clone ! or the new PS3 Portable Controler 3D

Well it's not weird how he put the analog sticks.. I mean Xbox 360 controllers have that too (not that I am a huge xbox fan..) and It feels good !!

Personally, I am angry at nintendo for one thing: They DO put up an analog stick, wich I really really like, but what pisses me off is that they put just one, you would think they would finally learn by now that most people like 2 analog sticks instead of one..
But regardless I love the 3DS and I am gonna buy it no matter what
yaynds.gif
(because I totally loooove Nintendo and best of all, I am a 3D Vision wh*re
ohmy.gif
!!)
i'm not making a big fuss over the 2 sticks and all... I'm just sayiiiiing
rolleyes.gif
....... So don't hate me
ninja.gif

tianeloso1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im a left handed person myself and its real weak that left handers have to stick with the button while right handers have analog slider and d-pad. They should add a second control slider. if it gets in the way with other components why just not make the slider smaller?

B

ball2012003

they should have added one
if they're saying there would
have been no room underneath
then they should have made the 3ds
longer or made the bottom screen smaller
since we wont use that screen as much anyway

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:

I'm very, very sorry for all of the dual-analog fans out there, but this pretty much sums up my opinion.

PC shooters came first, and eventually developed the mouse and keyboard setup. It's an established way of playing shooter games, and people have been fine with it long before the dual analog stick setup was ever concieved. Many hail the mouse and keyboard setup to be the most responsive way to play shooters to this day. Granted, that's their opinion, but the fact is, millions of PC gamers can't be wrong. So, first and foremost, double analog sticks is not, has not ever been, and never will be the "only good way" to play First Person Shooters.

Eventually, when home consoles started offering their own alternative control schemes, we adapted, and learned to live with it. Many console control schemes have proved to be quite reliable in the end, and many gamers today, old and new, are quite accustomed to it. But now, with all the portable consoles lacking that second analog stick, instead of learning to adapt to the new scheme like gamers did before, they're complaining, as if the dual analog option is the holy standard for FPS games, and it's a sacrilegious sin to try and change it. Once again, that's just their opinion, and that doesn't make it fact...

In short, there is nothing that makes the console setup any better than the mouse and keyboard (or the touch screen setup, etc..) to an extent that console shooters are "the only good shooters", just because you're accustomed to it. In fact, many, if not all of today's console shooters have the ol' PC shooters to thank for their awesomeness. Heck, Call of Duty started out as a PC franchise. To say that console shooters are better just sounds provincial, and, well, ridiculously noobish (for lack of a better term). There's no reason your personal control preference should directly influence the design of a console. Please get over over it, swallow your self-proclaimed pride, and learn to adapt, just like the rest of us.

:/

That being said, I think we'll live with just one stick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it way more than norm