Would a new router help my PS3 get online..?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xxteargodxx, Jun 21, 2011.

1. xxteargodxx
    OP

xxteargodxx GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    United States
    I have a PS3 that is about 75 feet away from our router, it gets a signal strength on average of 70%. It can get online and browse the web but no matter what game I put in to play they all will not connect online. I called Sony up and told them the issue they said the PS3 needs a signal strength of at least 80% to play games online.

What I don't understand is my cousin had his PS3 over our house and our signal strength wasn't 80% and his played games online just fine. So I either need to try a router that can send a stronger signal or wire it from my router to the system. Oh and my system is out of warranty so it'll cost $100 bucks PLUS shipping to send the bitch back to Sony for repairs.

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Reduce the number of walls between the router and PS3?

3. Jehuty25

Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2011
    United States
    Do yourself and everyone else a favor by using an ethernet cord for online gaming.

4. xxteargodxx
    OP

xxteargodxx GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    United States
    Don't need a new router, just needed to move it over another room and now the PS3 gets a 100% signal strength and there's no more issues.

[​IMG]

5. sjones900

sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    TX
    Or a more abstract idea. If moving is not an option at all and you have a laptop, try bridging the connection of your laptops wifi and it's ethernet port and hook up your PS3 wired that way. I do it sometimes because the PS3 only has 802.11g and my laptop has 802.11n.