Worth the upgrade from sdhc class 2 to class 4 or 6?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Zanzara, May 18, 2009.

1. Zanzara
    OP

Newcomer Zanzara Newbie

United States
    hi all.

i have a 4gb sandisk micro sdhc class 2 for my m3real and never had problems (besides problems with space)
    thats why i ordered a 8gb sandisk micro sdhc. but its also class 2. i didnt really care all about this class thing until i start reading things like that some games require a class 4 or 6 card. (castlevania, animal crossing)

but since i never experienced any problems with my 4gb class 2 and i'm not playing castlevania, i wonder if its worth the upgrade.
    are there a lot of games that could make problems or run slow on class 2 cards?

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    If you don't have any problems, it isn't worth the upgrade. The games that require a faster card are pretty rare, with Castlevania and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam the most famous ones.

3. ImmaculateChimp

Newcomer ImmaculateChimp Newbie

United States
    You may, quite likely, also run into the intro cinema loading issue on The World Ends With You (from Square Enix) which will cause the game to lock up if your card is only class 2. Many people can still get around this issue while still using a class 2 card by opening and closing the DS during the part of the manga-ish cinema with the frogs(if this doesn't make much sense, trust me, when the frogs show up, you'll definitely see them as they take up the whole screen [​IMG] )

4. xjenova

Member xjenova GBAtemp Regular

Dominican Republic
    The most important attribute for a card to have (for flashcart related use) is a fast access time. That being said, classes have little to do with this attribute; the classes only guarantee a minimum writing speed, for example, a class 6 card means a minimum of 6 MB/s writing speed. There are cards that have a lower class rating than others while having much faster access times than higher classes. A good thing to do is to check beforehand some benchmarks of the card you want to buy and then decide based on its access time compared to others.