Worst case scenario Nintendo crushes flashcarts

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is some buzz going around currently on how Nintendo is going around trying to kill off the latest doodad that allows the clever and the willing to get something for nothing.

Say (just fore the sake of preposterous argument's sake) that Nintendo actually WAS successful in making it no longer possible to obtain and or make use of our popular doodad the slot 1 flash cart option what would I actually do (beyond not caring and continuing to use the one I have with the games I have at my disposal now).

Well I have already mostly answered my own question. But, this month there will be god alone knows how many Nintendo DS games released. What if the people producing the flash carts were gone? Well no more updates when a game refused to cooperate I suppose. This would increasingly make being a site that offered the rom files more and more only a place to find OLD game roms. Because if the newer ones ain't working, then why put them up for download eh.

Eventually the thrill of having the flash cart will die down I guess. And in time fewer and fewer people will be all that interested in discussing them. Fewer people buying them eventually. Less people asking how to fix a rom that doesn't cooperate, as it will become common knowledge eventually that if it doesn't work too bad.

But what is a flash cart really?
It's a device with software to enable us to use a Micro sd card to play rom files.
That's not exactly hard to recreate in a lot of ways.
For instance, it's entirely legal to market sd cards and micro sd cards (well the last time I looked it was).
And it appears it is legal to market sd card adapters to allow them to use micro sd cards.
The only real barrier is the size of a Nintendo cartridge is important.
That barrier doesn't seem like much of a defense.

Anyway, if tomorrow we were suddenly unable to download and employ Nintendo DS roms, what really would that mean to me?
I'd likely be playing a great deal fewer DS game roms.
But I bought the DS Lite itself on the strength of wanting just one game.
I might not be able to discover I liked a few titles that I was unable to decide on otherwise.
And I never buy games on impulse for the most part. I only buy games that way with my wargames and those are often picked apart long before they actually go on sale.

I wonder if it would hurt Nintendo sales, help Nintendo sales, or make no difference to Nintendo sales?
I wonder how many of us rom downloaders would never have bought the DS unit if we couldn't download roms?
I wonder how much Nintendo gets out of us constantly talking about their games even if they didn't sell the game to us?

I think the only thing that will happen, is I will get to see fewer shitty as hell Nintendo DS roms that I almost certainly never had any interest in getting in the first place.
I've seen most of the Pet games eh. And I did it out of curiosity only. But I could have gone without knowing for certain they can barely interest a child let alone a teen or an adult.
I'd have likely passed on some of the fringe titles like Aquarium simply as there is always a limit to my interests when it costs money.
I might have made a couple of bad calls of course. Spitfire Heroes, still unsure if it was a waste of time to download free let alone pay for.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Piracy and flash carts will never stop. I'll try a story analogy: imagine a gardener named Nintendo, and he is having trouble with a clever mole named R4 digging around his lawn (you can't see whats under a lawn), as Nintendo gets so frustrated as all his attempt to kill R4 have failed, he completely goes ballistic and digs up his entire lawn to try and kill this mole. The farther Nintendo keeps digging, the more R4 will dig. Eventually Nintendo will just give up and go home, and R4 is triumphant.
You understand?

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In that wost case scenario wouldnt the community just find a work around? The community as a whole could probably do whatever slot 1 manufacturer's software team could do.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'd agree on that..
Piracy community has some big brains, and people with skills..When some people get together, awesome things happen..
I really believe we are indestructible, and piracy too!! They probably can make some damage, and make a fuss about it, but nothing serious as stopping flashcarts from producing, and further improving!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: any mushroom trip adventures you can share