Hacking Wood R4 vs YSMenu

Wood R4 or YSMenu, which is better?

• Wood R4, the shiny new firmware!

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • YSMenu, the classic is still the best!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I'm a loser who still uses the original R4 firmware

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

bekar

OP
Trophies
Website
www.omgpop.com
XP
Country
United States
NeoDraven said:
Right. This will be the last Bekar topic I read. Few people have managed to annoy me this much, this quickly, on the internet.

You get beat up, A LOT, don't you?

No-one is forcing you to read my topic. In fact, I'd rather people like you stay away from my topics (no offense, but seriously). If you get annoyed by my topics, then please, no need to pay a visit.
I don't see how it's so bad? It's just a poll to see what firmware people use and prefer, plus their reasoning.

I get beat up a lot? Don't make me laugh. That's lame, and you know it.
rofl2.gif

banditkeith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Wood R4 is still fairly new.
Give it some time. I personally am still using YSMenu because I am so used to it but give it a month or two and when Wood R4 works out a few more bugs and increase performance (like when they manage to crack stuff faster) I'm sure a lot more solid reasoning would come up.

It's really personal opinion. No need to get so worked up about it. Whatever that makes R4 usable is good for me.

red231

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I chose wood r4 because i'm using it rite now. I'm testing to see if it's better than ysmenu.

Wood R4
Pros:
Soft Reset works without any other modifications
New firmware and has a lot of compatibility fixes already
Looks Good (Kind've missed my R4 theme though)
Wii Connectivity (Awesome!)
Cons:
The button to bring back to nds menu still doesn't work
Soft Reset, I don't like how it is L+R+A+B+Down instead of L+R+A+B+X+Y
Rom loading a tiny bit slower (If anyone knows how to make it faster or anything, tell me)
Putting on cheats makes a .cc file
Had to change to .nds.sav (Not that big of a problem)

YSMenu
Pros:
Really easy to use (Similar to R4 Firmware)
The nds menu button works
Faster loading by a bit
Fast Updates
Cons:
Doesn't look as good (Except for the theme that I got from NDSThemes and changed a little)
Have to make a lot of modifications to get the most out of YSMenu
Froze a lot for me
Wii connectivity didn't work for me

Blade4474

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
banditkeith said:
I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Wood R4 is still fairly new.
Give it some time. I personally am still using YSMenu because I am so used to it but give it a month or two and when Wood R4 works out a few more bugs and increase performance (like when they manage to crack stuff faster) I'm sure a lot more solid reasoning would come up.

It's really personal opinion. No need to get so worked up about it. Whatever that makes R4 usable is good for me.

months? really?
I think that YWG is beyond that.
He releases new updates extremely fast, I first got Wood R4 when it was v1.05 and a month and a bit later, its 1.07.(Awesome!!!)
Hats off to YWG for all of his awesome frequent updates.
happy.gif

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
red231 said:
YSMenu
Pros:
Fast Updates

YSMenu hasn't been updated in around a year. The updates you refer to are just a few core files for TTMenu, which work better with TTMenu than YSMenu anyway.

chnkpk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From a starters point of view, WoodR4 is much superior, you just download the files and throw it into your root(and it works with most games)

YSMENU on the other hand you gotta dl the TTMENU from a specific site because the owner is a nazi and doesnt want it prepackaged, the manual route of putting together this firmware is complicated for someone who isn't computer sound and even the automated firmware creators I've seen messed up by noobs.

When it comes down to it, WoodR4 is superior, the updates come bi weekly so far, which is not bad at all, while for YSMENU, you must wait for extinfo.lib updates that don't always seem to work and are dependent on users of the forum to create instead of an actual team, not to hate on those putting the time to fix it, but its a lot more rough method than the Wood R4 releases

Also, sometimes you have to use patched roms, while with Wood, raw roms work great

It's time to move on guys, converting your saves over is a matter of rightclicking the SAV and changing extension, I don't understand why people are still even using YSMENU, what baffles me even more is people who are using Wood but are running YSMENU executable...its compatible with LESS GAMES

Also, there is no game that is compatible with YSMENU and it isn't with Wood, so ya'll need to wake up and smell the Wood(no homo)

Stropdasje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MarioWaza said:
vote for wood, with wood you can turn your old crappy R4 DS into an kind of Acekard.
Not true. The old crappy R4 DS cards (aka R4 SDHC) are the ones which do not work. Only the high quality original trusty genuine R4DS cards do.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
R4Liam said:
Definately YSMenu because you can use a plugin for moonshell and play media and games all in one! Plus the faster/updating!

YSmenu hasn't been updated in over a year, its DSTT firmware (including exitinfo etc) that's been updated.

IMO Wood is so much better thatn YSmenu. For one reason and one reason alone, rom compatability. That's a flashcart's bread and butter (well, piracy flashcarts), if it fails to do that than its fairly useless.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But the exitinfo's compatability is average at best. It still can't play a number of games such as Bejewled Twist and Strange Journey. I see no reason for R4 users to still use YSmenu when Wood is so easier and better to use. It makes no sense to prefer a sub-par firmware instead of the very good firmware.

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
R4Liam said:
Thats what im talking about- the exitinfo -the rom compatiability is better on for ysmenu because of that fact!

A few games have problems with the updated files when using YSMenu, but work with TTMenu. This trend will continue since it's a result of a bug in YSMenu itself.

QUOTE(Stropdasje @ May 18 2010, 08:56 PM) Not true. The old crappy R4 DS cards (aka R4 SDHC) are the ones which do not work. Only the high quality original trusty genuine R4DS cards do.

The 1:1 R4 clones work with Wood.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, the rom compatibility is better for ysmenu if you know how to update the files yourself...though the same could sort of be said for WoodR4, though I think it would be more troublesome updating that every time a new antipiracy game pops up rather than ysmenu.

I have an acekard now so meh, I'd probably still leave my R4 with ysmenu and woodr4 just for testing purposes (I'm sure if there is a homebrew bothering me on one firmware, there has to be at least one that works =D)

flamingo24

Trophies
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
Well, the rom compatibility is better for ysmenu if you know how to update the files yourself...

A patch must first exist since the updates are based on released patches (unless you create a patch), and even then it may not work with YSMenu only TTMenu. There are many games that fail with YSMenu and work with Wood, not including the ones fixed with the updated files.

Noib

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jurassicplayer said:
Well, the rom compatibility is better for ysmenu if you know how to update the files yourself...though the same could sort of be said for WoodR4, though I think it would be more troublesome updating that every time a new antipiracy game pops up rather than ysmenu.

Except, you know, it isn't. Name one game that works on with YSMenu that doesn't with Wood. Beyond that, name one game that worked on YSMenu before a public patch was released which could be cannibalized into the extinfo. Sorry, updating the extinfo every time a fix comes out is no less of a hassle than running a batch file to hardpatch a game while you wait for update.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Everyone says YSMenu has better compatibility in the long run...
But.... Listen. Name 25 games that haven't yet been fixed in YSmenu (as of when this was posted) but worked in Wood R4 from the start....

Starting from the 4500s, I'd say CASE CLOSED.

Suck it, YSMenu users. You can't play games labeled DSi!
yaynds.gif

Exbaddude

The Prince.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Inunah said:
But.... Listen. Name 25 games that haven't yet been fixed in YSmenu (as of when this was posted) but worked in Wood R4 from the start....

yaynds.gif
^ This is a WIN post. ^^

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Exbaddude said:
Inunah said:

yaynds.gif
^ This is a WIN post. ^^
Yeah, but prepare for the YSMenu and Original Firmware ver 1.18 fanboys! *Gets behind blockade while wearing a football helmet and a suit of armor*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...