Hacking Wood R4 BUGS and Compatibility

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The only issue I've encountered with the latest versions is that standby doesn't seem to work with any game.
The screen just flashes on and off whenever I try to close my DS. Is it a common issue?
I've read I need to have "patched" versions of my games or something. Is that the case?
Because I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of the games I have could go to standby, but now they can't.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
The only issue I've encountered with the latest versions is that standby doesn't seem to work with any game.
The screen just flashes on and off whenever I try to close my DS. Is it a common issue?
no.
1. That flashcard do you use?
2. Is anything in slot-2?
3. In what games this happens?
I've read I need to have "patched" versions of my games or something.
Where did you read this?

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
no.
1. That flashcard do you use?
2. Is anything in slot-2?
3. In what games this happens?
Geez, I can't believe this...
I went to shoot a video to show you its weird behavior, and it somehow fixed its freaking self!
What the hell, it's been like this for months, and now standby worked just fine... Seems like you're my lucky guy!
By the way, I'm using the original R4 DS, and no, I never had anything in Slot-2.
It used to happen in all my games. I first noticed it in Monopoly, but then it happened in all my games.
And I even had that issue with the latest Wood R4 1.42...
I don't know if it's "fixed" for good, but it works just fine now... :blink:
I'm really sorry for bothering you guys, but I really did have the issue up until now! :(

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
I went to shoot a video to show you its weird behavior, and it somehow fixed its freaking self!
The problem you was described is hardware, not software. So for example somewhere contact became better and problem went away.

Actually its not always hardware. I've encountered this problem before on my ds phat if B8 cardid isn't handled correctly for whatever reason when the screen is shut the game constantly switches between sleep and wakeup causing the screens to turn on and off aswell as the sound to make noises. More often than not its related to having a defective slot2 cart the slot such as the m3ds or scds.

In this case though it does sound like some sort of contact problem.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually its not always hardware. I've encountered this problem before on my ds phat if B8 cardid isn't handled correctly for whatever reason when the screen is shut the game constantly switches between sleep and wakeup causing the screens to turn on and off aswell as the sound to make noises. More often than not its related to having a defective slot2 cart the slot such as the m3ds or scds.
If I correctly remember, ds can waked up from 3 sources: keyboard interrupt, slot-1 interrupt and slot-2 interrupt. All this sources are hardware. The ak2 story doesn't make problem as software. It only shows that sometimes hardware problem can be solved in software. But in our case we have R4, where B8 handled in hardware and it is impossible implement wrong handling.

In this case though it does sound like some sort of contact problem.
Yes. There are two possible explanations:
1. Contact bounce — cause unwanted hardware interrupts.
2. Bad contact that cause additional power consumption. Possible that ds hardware doesn't like big power consumption from slot1 in sleep mode.

peanuttime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo DS Lite
Wood R4 - Firmware 1.42
Pokemon Heart Gold (U)
Rom ID: 4787
Kingston 2GB MicroSD (Formatted)

I've tried both Patched(Rudolph's Universal Child Play) and clean.

I can save in-game but after I turn off the DS and try to load it, the intro leads to the screen with the options "Control Info", "Adventure Info", and "No Info Needed"

Maybe it's a problem with loading, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I think I have found a couple of small bugs using wood 1.42 (r4ids.cn r4igold non3ds version).

1. X button should switch between SD/Favorites but it just gets stuck on favorites and doesn't switch.

b. possibly related, the help screen says "x Switch SD/FLASH" but on r4igold hardware it should say "x Switch SD/Favorites" because there isn't flash like akRPG.

2. The spin boxes (y button .nds options eg savesize, viewmode etc) only wrap in one direction. They stick if you scroll left and auto wrap if scroll right, I'm pretty sure in normal wood versions they wrap both directions or none.

3. I noticed a game which uses a larger custom savesize always shows no save instead of auto.
Jam with the band shows "no save" when it uses auto/unknown (so wood creates 256M .sav).
Wood doesn't update when I change the save size to auto/unknown, it still says no save in properties view and .nds options.

The game still loads fine and I think the correct save is created only wood isn't updating the setting to show the auto/unknown setting is selected.

Finally one other thing,

4. When "no save" is chosen in the savesize setup wood still creates a .sav file. The file contains no data (0k).
I noticed this when I loaded electroplankton which doesn't save.

Thank you for all the help.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
1. X button should switch between SD/Favorites but it just gets stuck on favorites and doesn't switch.
No. On non-rpg carts X button always goes to favorites.

b. possibly related, the help screen says "x Switch SD/FLASH" but on r4igold hardware it should say "x Switch SD/Favorites" because there isn't flash like akRPG.
Yes. But in real life nobody reads help.

3. I noticed a game which uses a larger custom savesize always shows no save instead of auto.
Jam with the band shows "no save" when it uses auto/unknown (so wood creates 256M .sav).
Wood doesn't update when I change the save size to auto/unknown, it still says no save in properties view and .nds options.
This is by design.

4. When "no save" is chosen in the savesize setup wood still creates a .sav file. The file contains no data (0k).
I noticed this when I loaded electroplankton which doesn't save.
This is because timestamp updated for savefile on each game launch. So you can know last game launch time even in case game doesn't have save.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you ywg for your reply previously and all the continued help/info. I'm sorry to bother you.
I started playing this recently and noticed possible AP. I will provide .sav as soon as I can but wanted to post this for reference.

Game name:Pokemon White Version
Release number:5584
CRC:EDCD5161
Clean ROM: YES (used wooddumper r72 to dump my original)
What the bug is:
I just got through the opening stages of this game and have been given the "C-gear". Its used via the touchscreen. There is a standby/power button you touch to turn your "C-gear" on/off.
If turned off and you touch this button, before it starts a new screen appears and you are asked if you want to connect to wfc.
When you select yes it tries to connect you but doesn't connect to the wifi and you are stuck on the screen forever waiting for connection.
What you did to debug it:
I downloading a different rom, tried untrimmed/trimmed. I then used wooddumper r72 to backup my original and tested the backup too. Used r4igold and 1.42 wood.
I'm guessing this might also be reproduced on Black Version but do not have the game or a save with cgear to test this.
How you can repeat the bug:
When you start your saved game (after you have been given the c-gear) it asks "do you want to turn cgear on now or connect to wfc something like this"? (There is no problem btw connecting at this point)

If you say no... once game loads, touch the cgear standby button on the bottom right side of touch screen then follow the onscreen instruction and try to connect to wfc.

If you say yes... once game loads, first turn the c-gear off then back on. And follow the on screen to try to connect.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
I just got through the opening stages of this game and have been given the "C-gear". Its used via the touchscreen. There is a standby/power button you touch to turn your "C-gear" on/off.
If turned off and you touch this button, before it starts a new screen appears and you are asked if you want to connect to wfc.
When you select yes it tries to connect you but doesn't connect to the wifi and you are stuck on the screen forever waiting for connection.
I downloaded save from gamefaq. then I touch power button game asked "Turn on the C-Gear and establish communication?", I choose "yes". Game says about sleep mode. then I touch I'm back to game. Then I touch online hexagon I get into screen with GAME SYNC. If I touch it - "Would you like to save the game?" appears. "Connect to Nintendo Wi-fi Connections?" - yes. After connecting it show me code and something about site. Where is problem?

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where is problem?
The problem isn't where you are looking, I have no problem doing what you describe either.
I'm sorry my fault, I should try to better explain in future before I report it to you.

Easiest way to reproduce this:

1. Select continue on title screen
2. Next choose "NO" when asked to Launch C-Gear communications?
3. Next choose "YES" when asked to confirm this.
4. Now the game has loaded we want to turn on the C-Gear. Touch the power button on C-Gear.
5. Choose "YES" to "turn on the C-Gear and establish communications"
6. AntiPiracy? I get stuck here.

Please let me know if you cannot reproduce that and if not I will use a different save (used the save from my original game cart).

Also Happy New Year ywg and I want you to know your support isn't taken for granted, if ever it seems like it is. Always appreciate wood releases and your patience and support.

I understand you do this in your own time but I look forward to hearing from you when you have some spare.
Take care.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i can't reproduce that either. i still proceed with the c-gear normally.
What the f*** is going on with me recently..I'm sorry.

Can you confirm which version of wood and on what hardware?

Are you using the exact same rom too? (Europe English)

Could be specific to my r4igold (old) or its cause the save was off my original game cart, I've tested woodrpg now and the same happens. I'm gonna have try a different save off that site mentioned before first. I'm stumped.

I don't like to post before properly testing and am disappointed in myself now, really appreciate if you let me know basher11.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to report what I noticed a day ago while using version 1.42, I have since updated to 1.43 which is the same.
Version: Wood r4igold 1.43 and 1.42
Hardware: r4i gold (non-3ds)
Problem: When "set file list type" to "NDS+SAV" or "ALL" (global settings), wood freezes when you browse folder(s).
(If "set file list type" is "NDS" there is no problem browsing at all).

Using the same mSD tested woodrpg 1.42/1.43, this version does not freeze when the setting is changed from "NDS" and the directories can be browsed normally without a problem. So I have ruled out mSD corruption etc.
I believe the problem may only be on the r4igold version, possibly the non-3ds version only (I have non3ds but no 3ds version to test this on).

Also "Rumble Strength" setting seems ignored. Feels like always highest rumble setting in game, though wood nds setting is "low or medium".

Thanks.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a few bugs with wood 1.44. I edited the orginal post so its hopefully readable and clear.

Version: wood r4igold 1.44
Hardware: r4i gold (non-3ds)
Problem: Some of the global settings spin boxes wrap in only one direction that is to the right but not left.
When I checked wood on the rpg, 1.44 version wraps both left and right through all options.

So it would be really nice if all individual global setting options, menu spin boxes which allow selection between a list of settings but not wrap back around and around the settings.
e.g Show Files select options "NDS", "NDS+SAV", "ALL, but not left on "NDS" or right on "ALL" option.
I remember this is how it worked on previous wood versions so report it here as a possible bug or feature request.

The following 2 problems are weird and not exactly 100% reproducable.
I was able to fix both after plugging my DS lite into power and charging fully.
Strange though especially the noise issue so I leave the report for your info.

Version: wood r4igold 1.44 and woodrpg 1.44
Hardware: r4i gold (non-3ds) and acekard rpg. DS Lite only this does not happen if using DSi.
Problem: The Sound engine is not switched off when wood boots on DS Lite.
There is a lot of noise on DS lite and especially anytime when wood reads the mSD.
e.g when scrolling through a directory of files or loading a gba into PSRAM it buzzes.
(note: r4igoldwood on DSi works normally. The DSi sound engine is switched off during woods boot/softreset)

Version: woodrpg 1.44
Hardware: acekard rpg. DS Lite
Problem: DS lite battery light flashes red whenever it reads mSD or writes gba to 3in1 etc

I have not yet emailed r4ids.cn about the above global menu spin boxes bug specific to the r4igold (I am using original non-3ds version).

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
I usually have no problem with the wood r4. I usually copy paste the files from the zip over the old system files and all is fine and dandy but this time it freezes at the loading screen before the menu even comes up. Last update I made before this was for golden sun... am I missing some thing from another update?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I usually have no problem with the wood r4. I usually copy paste the files from the zip over the old system files and all is fine and dandy but this time it freezes at the loading screen before the menu even comes up.
Ever think of trying to just delete the old and then add the new like some various sources suggest? Possibly back up and then reformat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.