Wood Firmwares v1.44

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also does anyone know how to set up the extlink yet? Not to sound like a broken record, but no one seems to have said anything about that.
Nope. I'm feeling a bit thick. I have looked through the code in hex editor and can't figure how it works. My original R4 died but I still have a gold, r4idsn.cn and have just received an R4-3D from r4idsn.com and still can't figure it out. avenir or jurassicplayer might have an idea or you could try a PM to ywg.

Off topic: I was a bit sceptical after reading build quality reports about the r4idsn.com cards. The R4 3D I have just received is very nicely made and the contacts look pristine. No contact fixes required on DSL, DSiXL or 3DS.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So...I did a quick check (hex editor ftw) and logic of what I was seeing donned upon me. You can use the WoodR4.nds as an extlink (ie. nds.WoodR4.nds). While it doesn't have an exceedingly large amount of uses, it cuts out the need for inilink.nds for any WoodR4 user (and with that, some loading time). If that feature is in the R4i Gold one, then the current setup MS2 R4iGold setup could be changed just a little bit (potentially just a little bit cleaner).

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks jurassicplayer I just placed it in the extlink folder using the usual method and it works well. I am guessing it works without needing all the .ini re-writes that inilink requires.

Thanks YWG and sorry for being a bit of dunce.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm still not understand how works extlink =(
In the past in order to run ROMs from Moonshell we had to use two files developed by Taiju. They were iniclear and favlauncher. With these two files implemented into moonshell's extlink directory we are able to run ROMs from Moonshell by using Wood's autorun feature and using iniclear to tweak Wood's ini files to ensure they are cleared ready for the next ROM.

Thanks to YWG's additional code we can now use Wood to run ROMs directly from Moonshell without the need for the intermediary files. Unfortunately Moonshell still needs to be patched or running ROMs will still be blocked.

MAIO Problems:
I have tested this and it works well however I am having trouble implementing it with MAIO (moonshell all in one.) To use this properly we really need the R4s to autoboot to moonshell on startup and then return to moonshell on soft reset. If we have to run moonshell from Wood first and then start a ROM from there then there really isn't much point in doing it.

The original R4 is easy. You just need to encrpt the moonshl2.nds and rename it to _DS_MENU.DAT then decrypt the original _DS_MENU.DAT and use it in extlink and resetmse.

The R4iGold and R4IDSN are a little trickier as they will not run moonshl2.nds from boot no matter what you do. The only way around this was to modify the _DS_MENU.DAT or _DSMENU.DAT files to use an alternative ini file set on boot and soft reset solely for the purpose of using Wood's autoboot feature to run Moonshl2.nds. We then just renamed an unmodified copy of the DAT file to WOODR4.NDS which is used by moonshell extlink and favlauncher to launch ROMs via the normal autorun ini files which are cleared each time by iniclear.

Due to the way Wood now handles its own .ini files the alternate autoboot method for moonshl2.nds no longer works. I don't see the point in using the new extlink feature if I can't get moonshell2 to autoboot on startup and softreset back to moonshell. I haven't spent a long time on it but have so far not found a workaround.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that still doesnt explains how to use extlink in wood.
It doesn't work in Wood, it enables Wood to run from a patched version of moonshell via extlink. It would be nice if it was the other way around but I don't think it could ever work that way unless the moonshell sorce code was made available and embedded into the Wood OS.

Edit: Ok i take it back. It looks as if some linked files will work directly from Wood (v1.45)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y