ROM Hack Misc Wonder how to obtain the SoundFont used in the Korg M01D...

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought the Korg M01D 3DS app (for those of you who don't know, it's literally a beginner's DAW based on some popular keyboard by Korg.) I got it after finding out that you could export songs made in it to classic MIDI, and I did make a small song in it. The problem with the MIDI export is that it doesn't include the SoundFont that the app used in production. Unsurprisingly, swapping it out with random instruments from FluidSynth didn't pan out very well, which is most likely me being an idiot who doesn't know their music production (there were barely any patches in the FluidGM2 file anyways.)
But after a google search, it turns out that the only SF2s based on the Korg M1 (which the M01D tries to replicate) only include the piano instrument (one SF2 for the M1 instruments used to make the Seinfield theme song for some reason), even though I used a lot of other instruments. So, my path was clear: pop into GodMode9 and look around for the SF2 file!

There were 2 .app files, one with the manual (woohoo), and the other with the more important bits (including the demo songs and the BMPs shown when starting the game crediting the main development groups and Korg ofc.) The below-marked folders are where I think the SoundFont could be located, however, it's all in 3DS-exclusive archives, BINs, MODs, and surprisingly enough, no subdirectories.

snap_220301185155.png
snap_220301190714.png

Whether the SoundFont counts as warez, meaning that I can't spread it, I'm not very sure of. I'm kinda leaning towards it not being counted as so, though with obvious reason to suspect otherwise.
Wonder if the BINs contain the SF2 or if the MODs can be opened in a tracker to reveal the instruments in the SF2.

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whoops, held off on making a follow-up post, but HERE IT IS: bump
I ultimately copied three folders over to my PC,
Code:
korg
Code:
DrumSeq
, and
Code:
DemoSong

1652492174139.png

Unfortunately, these (of course) aren't the typical bin/mod files openable by their upfront apps. DemoSong includes all of the 4 included songs, plus the default song for every file (songDefault.bin and YourBell.bin, which oddly hints at being able to change what the app's banner song is.)

1652492327509.png

Another path I was thinking of was doing it via an emulator like Citra. My current New 2DS XL (White & Orange) unfortunately cannot make a successful Citra NAND dump because I back in 2019 installed a custom font, and these days I can't find that installed font to restore the original font. But...
If you can recall, once upon a time when I was more "popular" here, I had a (presumably launch-model) Black & Turquoise New 2DS XL. I did not install a custom font on there. I had also factory reset it and uninstalled B9S, so I had to go through the nearly-enjoyable process of reinstalling B9S, Luma3DS, and GM9 on it to successfully make a Citra NAND dump. Once I copied that and the save file for my copy of M01D over to the PC, I had all of my songs ready to be played right through Citra.
1652492858674.png

It would've solved my problem, however as you can tell from the image's bottom toolbar, my PC can't handle a 2D-only application. The audio indeed stutters, making for a worse recording than line-in-ing my actual New 2DS into Audacity. (and no that obviously is not the entire song)
So, until I can land myself an AMD Radeon RX 6600, that is, unfortunately, a dead end. :cry:

There is a bit more solace; solace found in the app's electronic manual. There is a page devoted to the MIDI file export feature, and at the bottom is one hell of a way to peeve me off: You need to BUY the digital instruments from Korg!

mrg_2022-05-13_20-59-05.812.png

For starters, way to upsell me. Secondly, the Korg Legacy Collection no longer exists, replaced by a more-standard Korg Collection.

The M1 instrument alone is $99.99. USD.

1652493916870.png

1652494040472.png

It's not guaranteed to work with LMMS.

Next time on me not existing, I won't exist!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Wish they would give a season on Herbert