Gaming Wolfenstein II....WTF is the download for???

Dvdxploitr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, anyone that has seen the box art for Wolfenstein II notices that it "requires" an 8GB download, but what is that for? If you play the game (either with cartridge or XCI file), it boots up just fine and you can play it. I know Doom had the full game on the cartridge but a separate download for multiplayer, but Wolfenstein II is single player only. I wonder if anyone went to the store to buy the game and saw that "Internet Download Required" notice and thought to themselves "well, I don't have enough storage on my Switch and I don't feel like spending extra money on an SD card, so i'll just get something else" or if someone said "my internet speed sucks, I'll pass" or people that are in rural areas that are on limited internet speed (whether it be satellite internet or mobile data) didn't buy it. I can confirm the game does load and play with TX OS without the download. I just wonder if you get about halfway into the game and it says "Please connect to wifi to download the other half of the game" or something....

Dustii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, anyone that has seen the box art for Wolfenstein II notices that it "requires" an 8GB download, but what is that for? If you play the game (either with cartridge or XCI file), it boots up just fine and you can play it. I know Doom had the full game on the cartridge but a separate download for multiplayer, but Wolfenstein II is single player only. I wonder if anyone went to the store to buy the game and saw that "Internet Download Required" notice and thought to themselves "well, I don't have enough storage on my Switch and I don't feel like spending extra money on an SD card, so i'll just get something else" or if someone said "my internet speed sucks, I'll pass" or people that are in rural areas that are on limited internet speed (whether it be satellite internet or mobile data) didn't buy it. I can confirm the game does load and play with TX OS without the download. I just wonder if you get about halfway into the game and it says "Please connect to wifi to download the other half of the game" or something....

It might stop after a certain level? It will probably needs a download for something

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extra data which wouldn't fit on the cartridge. And no, it doesn't have a message to download the rest of the game because you're not supposed to be playing it without that game data. You are basically playing a partially downloaded game, subject to many glitches and maybe data which makes the game perform better overall. NBA2K is a great example of this. When I bought the cartridge version, it had a 19GB download attached, as the cartridge itself only contained 8GB of the game. I was impatient and launched the game while waiting, and it sent me directly to the Team Selection page. I started a game, and omg it looked horrid. Shadows, animation, movement, everything looked pretty disgusting. I closed it, and I waited for the software download, which took about 2 hours. Once I opened it, it started downloading for another hour. When I was finally able to play, it looked a lot better than before. Now by no means is NBA2K look anything like the Xbox of PS4 versions, but it is still ok. My point is that these software downloads are necessary and may affect performance for real. It could also be considered unauthorized use of software of hardware because you weren't supposed to launch it before it downloaded everything, and the game doesn't know if it's downloaded fully or not.

datahoarder

Organized.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They couldn’t fit 22GB on a 16GB cart. At least they give you a bold heads up on the cover, even if it’s silly that it isn’t included. Many games have day-one updates to prevent the game being played early as well. and for this, I’m wondering if it has to do something with it being UNCUT vs CUT for the Nazi inclusion in regard to the GER region. Otherwise, they simply just couldn’t fit all of the data on the cart. It was rumored playing will only get you a few levels in without the update.

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ya brotha, what I did ( and someone on here is going to probbaly "cringe" at this comment but:. I got the game, loaded the game in SX OS ( I didn't play it, just loaded it ) and then switched to OFW and downloaded the data. Then deleted the internet settings and booted back into SX OS and actually started playing it.

Lots of people are having issues with these types though it seems. It's odd because for me, the only game ( besides Eshop games obv ) which was Donkey Kong didn't work lol. No idea why. I emailed Xecuter and all that was said was roughly the same thing another user got. ( We are working on improving )

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
like people said its the rest of the game, your probably gonna be able to play it until a certain level before it crashes.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
you guys confirmed its the rest of the game?
in some games they deliver the high res textures via optional dlc\download. or like higher quality sound data, or have missing sounds. you can fully play the game but in a lower quality and in some cases videos\cutscenes might be missing

Reactions: ByteBite

Telnoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in some games they deliver the high res textures via optional dlc\download. or like higher quality sound data, or have missing sounds. you can fully play the game but in a lower quality and in some cases videos\cutscenes might be missing

There is a massive difference in performance between 1.0 (cartridge only) and whatever the download installs. I would say without update the game runs in between 15-20 FPS. It's a slide show. With update, it's around the promised 30fps mark.

I would most certainly not play it without updating it first, regardless if the cartridge contains the entire game or not.

Last edited by Telnoi,

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
So the download is an actual version increase, not just additional missing content being sideloaded? That would explain a lot. Does anyone have the actual version numbers?

Yeah, this does happen a lot. One of the crazier examples is Titanfall on PC - the game download was nearly 50 GB, 35 of that was uncompressed high-quality audio.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1