Homebrew [WIP] (More) undertale_techdemo

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, spritesheets probably won't be a problem. I can extract them from the game, and should be able to get them from rawr.ws. (assuming the site isn't dead?) The real problem will be *using* them without cutting them up. /me has never actually worked with spritesheets before...

As for your NDA... If I understand correctly working on your project would probably also be covered under NDA if mine is. Also, remember that you worked on part of this long before I did, and given that the original author has fled the scene, you're closer to the creator than I am, I'm merely continuing what was started... That said, you do what you want. I'd love help, but if you feel like you shouldn't, that's your choice, and I'm fine with that.

Sprites... once I add those I should be able to make my collision more precice and less... rectangley... and less based on the top-left corner of frisk. I guess that'll also mean I'm rewriting more code that was left by lolzvid and not licenced.
Ah I started it before I signed the NDA, so I can't work with anything like sf2dlib I'm pretty certain. I don't think anything that uses it is breaking the NDA, but I don't want to cause harm to it or the developers case it is. Writing in Lua with LP doesn't even remotely touch that stuff since it's just Lua that can technically be used on the PC version of Löve with very minor modification. tl;dr I don't want to be that asshole that ruins homebrew for the rest of you lol. I'll look into it more though, but for the record I'm a terrible programmer :)

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm does anyone else have a take on the NDA and still working with devkitpro and LP. I'm not planning on releasing any NDA made things but do work with it and have videos of both kind of projects on my YouTube. I think it's okay but obviously Nintendo would probably pull my license if they really took because obviously I'm a shoddy dev business wise, but legal wise they are completely unrelated correct?

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm does anyone else have a take on the NDA and still working with devkitpro and LP. I'm not planning on releasing any NDA made things but do work with it and have videos of both kind of projects on my YouTube. I think it's okay but obviously Nintendo would probably pull my license if they really took because obviously I'm a shoddy dev business wise, but legal wise they are completely unrelated correct?
If anything you work on has to do with reverse engineering the 3DS in any way you are violating the NDA. Stuff that people reverse engineer becomes illegal if someone who has access to the target's source code modifies it directly. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm making assumptions here.)
You can still write homebrew afaik, and having videos of 3DS devkit stuff is fine too.

haazet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool that was my take as well, I was overlooking you we're talking about sf2dlib. Ive been wondering since I was only seeing one(?) other person posting unity projects and was thinking surely they should be more and keeped reading the NDA

Kitlith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitl.pw
XP
Country
United States
when i launch it , my 3ds freezes at the homebrew page......
... Shoot. Uh, could you post a link to the release you're using? It's possible that I accidentally put up a broken build. Are you using a new 3DS or an old 3DS? I've only tested on old 3DS, so it's posssible (however unlikely I feel it is) that it breaks on new 3DS for some reason.

@XavyrrVaati Likewise, my homebrew would not count as a reverse engineered product, right? Ah well. I guess I should be airing more on the cautious side of avoiding NDA contamination, *just in case*, anyway.

Reactions: XavyrrVaati

Sigiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
... Shoot. Uh, could you post a link to the release you're using? It's possible that I accidentally put up a broken build. Are you using a new 3DS or an old 3DS? I've only tested on old 3DS, so it's posssible (however unlikely I feel it is) that it breaks on new 3DS for some reason.

@XavyrrVaati Likewise, my homebrew would not count as a reverse engineered product, right? Ah well. I guess I should be airing more on the cautious side of avoiding NDA contamination, *just in case*, anyway.

old one , on a9lh ..... i am using the latest pre-alpha build 0.1.2-alpha

Kitlith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitl.pw
XP
Country
United States
old one , on a9lh ..... i am using the latest pre-alpha build 0.1.2-alpha
o3DS w/ a9lh. Using Luma, right? Welp, I can't reproduce. It's working fine for me... >_> Then again, I'm using corbenik, and not Luma. So... Uh...

You say it freezes... have you tried multiple times? Sometimes, in my experience, when launching homebrew, it just fails.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, looking back on it, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. But I truly am not a good programmer. Just look at my LOVE code lol. Excuses aside, I will take a look at your code. I've never really worked on something with a lot of code from someone else though so I might barely understand it. That and when I'm not working, I'm also not always coding. And when I am, I have two other projects I work on semi-frequently. I need a time machine.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I contributed some movement/direction code. But It's probably not 100% working since I'm half asleep<3

I can take a look again tomorrow to fix it if it's broken, along with adding anything else I can think to do.

Last edited by XavyrrVaati,

Sigiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
o3DS w/ a9lh. Using Luma, right? Welp, I can't reproduce. It's working fine for me... >_> Then again, I'm using corbenik, and not Luma. So... Uh...

You say it freezes... have you tried multiple times? Sometimes, in my experience, when launching homebrew, it just fails.
i tried 4 times and nope it didnt budge , waited for 15 mins as well nope...

Kitlith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitl.pw
XP
Country
United States
By a different person, yes.
Afaik there are two Undertale homebrew in development. This, and LOVE. Progress for both of them is quite slow, especially mine haha.
No, mine is slower! :P

In all seriousness, I work on this sporatically. You could say it dies, then comes back to life, then dies again... wait a moment. Am I fighting Sans right now?

i tried 4 times and nope it didnt budge , waited for 15 mins as well nope...
WELP. I'll look into this more.

EDIT: Do you have the SVC patch enabled? Appearantly this can break hbl. And, indeed, will break the launching of this homebrew.

Last edited by Kitlith,
Reactions: Deleted-379826

Hendo16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, mine is slower! :P

In all seriousness, I work on this sporatically. You could say it dies, then comes back to life, then dies again... wait a moment. Am I fighting Sans right now?

WELP. I'll look into this more.

EDIT: Do you have the SVC patch enabled? Appearantly this can break hbl. And, indeed, will break the launching of this homebrew.
Hey, still working on this by any chance....?

Kitlith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitl.pw
XP
Country
United States
Hey, still working on this by any chance....?
Apologies. I've been busy, and when I wasn't, I was working on other things. However, it is summer time. And while I'm planning other things, *maybe* I'll get back to this.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm never going to finish this. I'm sorry.

I think I much more technically interesting project would be to reimplement Game Maker's engine, from scratch, using libretro. That way, not only would you get Undertale, but all of the other Game Maker based games on any platform that you could port libretro to. But this is not something I see myself devoting the time to. Maybe in the future, but I doubt it. I've got powerslaves stuff to work on, as well as another project that I hope to spend most of my time over the summer on. If it actually happens (it had better :/), I will be livestreaming a bunch. My twitter will have updates if that happens.

Apologies for not replying earlier, I'm not exactly on gbatemp often. I guess I'll go update the first post, now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y