[WIP] (More) undertale_techdemo

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Kitlith, Apr 14, 2016.

1. XavyrrVaati

XavyrrVaati Hobbyist programmer?

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Ah I started it before I signed the NDA, so I can't work with anything like sf2dlib I'm pretty certain. I don't think anything that uses it is breaking the NDA, but I don't want to cause harm to it or the developers case it is. Writing in Lua with LP doesn't even remotely touch that stuff since it's just Lua that can technically be used on the PC version of Löve with very minor modification. tl;dr I don't want to be that asshole that ruins homebrew for the rest of you lol. I'll look into it more though, but for the record I'm a terrible programmer :)

2. haazet

haazet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    Hmm does anyone else have a take on the NDA and still working with devkitpro and LP. I'm not planning on releasing any NDA made things but do work with it and have videos of both kind of projects on my YouTube. I think it's okay but obviously Nintendo would probably pull my license if they really took because obviously I'm a shoddy dev business wise, but legal wise they are completely unrelated correct?

3. XavyrrVaati

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    If anything you work on has to do with reverse engineering the 3DS in any way you are violating the NDA. Stuff that people reverse engineer becomes illegal if someone who has access to the target's source code modifies it directly. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm making assumptions here.)
    You can still write homebrew afaik, and having videos of 3DS devkit stuff is fine too.

4. haazet

haazet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    Cool that was my take as well, I was overlooking you we're talking about sf2dlib. Ive been wondering since I was only seeing one(?) other person posting unity projects and was thinking surely they should be more and keeped reading the NDA

5. Sigiz

Sigiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    India
    when i launch it , my 3ds freezes at the homebrew page......

6. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    You can use RE'd software under a NDA, but you cannot contribute to it. So you cannot make a PR to ctrulib or something similar.

XavyrrVaati likes this.
  7. Kitlith
    OP

Kitlith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    Trapped between a rock and a hard place
    ... Shoot. Uh, could you post a link to the release you're using? It's possible that I accidentally put up a broken build. Are you using a new 3DS or an old 3DS? I've only tested on old 3DS, so it's posssible (however unlikely I feel it is) that it breaks on new 3DS for some reason.

@XavyrrVaati Likewise, my homebrew would not count as a reverse engineered product, right? Ah well. I guess I should be airing more on the cautious side of avoiding NDA contamination, *just in case*, anyway.

XavyrrVaati likes this.
  8. Sigiz

Sigiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    India
    old one , on a9lh ..... i am using the latest pre-alpha build 0.1.2-alpha

9. Kitlith
    OP

Kitlith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    o3DS w/ a9lh. Using Luma, right? Welp, I can't reproduce. It's working fine for me... >_> Then again, I'm using corbenik, and not Luma. So... Uh...

You say it freezes... have you tried multiple times? Sometimes, in my experience, when launching homebrew, it just fails.

10. XavyrrVaati

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Well, looking back on it, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. But I truly am not a good programmer. Just look at my LOVE code lol. Excuses aside, I will take a look at your code. I've never really worked on something with a lot of code from someone else though so I might barely understand it. That and when I'm not working, I'm also not always coding. And when I am, I have two other projects I work on semi-frequently. I need a time machine.

11. XavyrrVaati

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Okay I contributed some movement/direction code. But It's probably not 100% working since I'm half asleep<3

I can take a look again tomorrow to fix it if it's broken, along with adding anything else I can think to do.

Last edited by XavyrrVaati, Oct 8, 2016
  12. Sigiz

Sigiz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    India
    i tried 4 times and nope it didnt budge , waited for 15 mins as well nope...

13. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Dev & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    So... this is still being working on?

14. XavyrrVaati

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    By a different person, yes.
    Afaik there are two Undertale homebrew in development. This, and LOVE. Progress for both of them is quite slow, especially mine haha.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  15. Kitlith
    OP

Kitlith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    No, mine is slower! :P

In all seriousness, I work on this sporatically. You could say it dies, then comes back to life, then dies again... wait a moment. Am I fighting Sans right now?

WELP. I'll look into this more.

EDIT: Do you have the SVC patch enabled? Appearantly this can break hbl. And, indeed, will break the launching of this homebrew.

Last edited by Kitlith, Oct 8, 2016
    TheVinAnator likes this.
  16. Hendo16

Hendo16 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    Hey, still working on this by any chance....?

17. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Latest commit ad7768b on Oct 2, 2016, and please don't bump old posts

18. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Dev & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Don't necrobump. Btw, Cellenseres is supposed to be still working on Undertale 3DS, which was being made in the official CTR SDK. You can ask him for it.

19. Kitlith
    OP

Kitlith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2016
    United States
    Apologies. I've been busy, and when I wasn't, I was working on other things. However, it is summer time. And while I'm planning other things, *maybe* I'll get back to this.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm never going to finish this. I'm sorry.

I think I much more technically interesting project would be to reimplement Game Maker's engine, from scratch, using libretro. That way, not only would you get Undertale, but all of the other Game Maker based games on any platform that you could port libretro to. But this is not something I see myself devoting the time to. Maybe in the future, but I doubt it. I've got powerslaves stuff to work on, as well as another project that I hope to spend most of my time over the summer on. If it actually happens (it had better :/), I will be livestreaming a bunch. My twitter will have updates if that happens.

Apologies for not replying earlier, I'm not exactly on gbatemp often. I guess I'll go update the first post, now.