Homebrew [WIP] List of known bricks due to an attempt to downgrade to 9.2.

nabbestia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, people.

I've downgraded my 9.9 n3ds xl to 9.2U with SafeSysUpdater and it crashed in the end (nintendo "restart your system" screen on the bottom screen). I've used MenuHax to get to the homebrew launcher.
I can boot into firmware, start camera and whatnot but I cannot access browser and system settings. Browser gives me "Internet browser" label and waits forever, system settings gives "Nintendo 3DS" app boot logo forever.

On the scale from 1 to Vladimir Putin, how hard am I screwed?.. Should I get to recovery and flash the boring 10.5?..

Hello guys, i got the same problems with a n3ds

If i'm right, i can try again with oothax, but i have somes doubts:

1) i don't have idea what firmware i have at the moment, (9.2 or 9.9, i can't enter in settings). So, in the oothax app i have no idea what i need to write when it ask the firmware
2) There are special precautions that I can use? Or can i try another direct downgrade with sysupdater?

Last edited by nabbestia,

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys, i got the same problems with a n3ds

If i'm right, i can try again with oothax, but i have somes doubts:

1) i don't have idea what firmware i have at the moment, (9.2 or 9.9, i can't enter in settings). So, in the oothax app i have no idea what i need to write when it ask the firmware
2) There are special precautions that I can use? Or can i try another direct downgrade with sysupdater?

1) just try both. if you're not able to access oot3dhax using 9.9 payload, you know you need the 9.2 payload ;)
2) just do another direct downgrade after booting into homebrew, no other precautions needed. it will install the missing titles

Reactions: nabbestia

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Evoker: Hard-shutdown his 3DS after "Installation Complete, rebooting in 10 seconds..." This shouldn't happen, so it's likely a crash happened. Managed to get into recovery, and changed his primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4, which downloaded 10.3.

Wait, so if you set your DNS to that, your 3DS will download 10.3 instead of 10.5?

Also, I semi-bricked my 10.3 O3DS multiple times. I'm not sure what happened, I checked the checksums, and I followed multiple tutorials. I'm just afraid of trying it again in case i'll have to update to 10.5

Last edited by bananapi761,

Riptide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Semi-Brick?" Report

N3DS XL 9.6

browserhax -> menuhax -> safesysupdater -> appears to update tons of cia's fine -> "an error has occurred"
powered off, took out SD Card, booted into recovery successfully but didn't want to update, powered off, deleted things from SD card as mentioned in OP, powered on, 3DS boots, can run games, however, the update appears to have not been complete as opening the browser or system settings just hangs.

no longer have a way to get to homebrew menu to attempt update again

if there is a way to get to homebrew using a DS flashcart lmk (tons of searching turned up zilch) otherwise I'll be waiting until I can get my hands on a cubic ninja cart

molcos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Total brick N3DS EU

Updated to 10.3 from 9.6 without issue, used sysupdater latest version.
Next downgrade to 9.2 verified files, used menuhax to launch.
Froze on first CIA file...waited like 10 minutes then had to restart.

Boots into menu then throws a system error screen after 1-2 seconds.
Recovery menu does not work, just a black or gray screen.
Not able to launch menuhax anymore, also removed battery and sd card.

Is there a way to unbrick without having a nand backup?
If so, who can i call/mail.

Regards

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total brick N3DS EU

Updated to 10.3 from 9.6 without issue, used sysupdater latest version.
Next downgrade to 9.2 verified files, used menuhax to launch.
Froze on first CIA file...waited like 10 minutes then had to restart.

Boots into menu then throws a system error screen after 1-2 seconds.
Recovery menu does not work, just a black or gray screen.
Not able to launch menuhax anymore, also removed battery and sd card.

Is there a way to unbrick without having a nand backup?
If so, who can i call/mail.

Regards

You MIGHT be able to do the hardmod downgrade method to get you back to a stable firmware, but I'm not positive.

molcos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You MIGHT be able to do the hardmod downgrade method to get you back to a stable firmware, but I'm not positive.

Yea, heard about that.
I also checked with Bergsala/Nintendo and they can replace the motherboard for around 80-90$
Hopefully a hardmod will be cheaper or about the same.

Who in Europe can perform that?
I tried to search for him but came up with a dude in US only.

Regards.

Azba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Reporting a successful New3DS downgrade from 10.2 EUR to 9.2

Only hitch was that it only finally worked after doing the "cheat code" with FTBrony to get it to not freeze before the downgrade starts: start it up, hold L, R and Down and tap B to exit.

astroreptar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the "an error has occurred" soft brick. When I restarted Browser and Settings hang no matter what I do. I removed some files from my SD, and tried using the older backup versions from before I started homebrew, still cant get into browser or settings.

Original sysupdater gave me a title error. So i tried Safesysupdater and it said all my cia files were good and the install went all the way through until soft brick. I can boot into recovery but want to try some other things before updating. I have an N3DS with 9.9U tried to go to 9.2.

*EDIT* Tried recover using google DNS(8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and it put me on 10.5-30U R.I.P.

Last edited by astroreptar,

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't know if this counts as a brick but in SafeSysUpdater it didn't re-boot after the "Rebooting In 10 Seconds" so I turned it off, I was lucky but for some reason I couldn't un-link my NNID so... I just formatted my sysNAND and all is well. Going further into info turning off the system in "Rebootong In 10 Seconds" is SUPER dangerous and I shouldn't of done it! So, don't take chances mine worked out (somehow) but not for all.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, turning off after it says rebooting in 10 seconds isn't dangerous at all. Usually sysupdater has frozen by that point so it's the only thing you can do anyway.

Reactions: Arkansaw

FRITZINATOR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ADD me to the list of bricks

N3dsXL entrypoint Ninjhax

full installiation on the .cia files (N3ds_9.2U)

Froze on black screen after downgrade.

Only blue light after I restart.:cry:

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ADD me to the list of bricks

N3dsXL entrypoint Ninjhax

full installiation on the .cia files (N3ds_9.2U)

Froze on black screen after downgrade.

Only blue light after I restart.:cry:
Are you sure you used the right New 3DS files? And can't you boot into recovery mode?

XenoWarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@cpasjuste, you're amazing. Was trying SysUpdater for so long, it kept saying "Failed to get CIA file infos!". This worked for me, FIRST TIME.

1) NEW 3DS version 9.4.0-20E has been downgraded successfully to 9.2.0-20E.
2) Once the downgrade has been run by SafeSysUpdater, it did crash when it was to reboot in 10 seconds. I hard-rebooted the console.
3) Rebooted, I hit a black screen and thought my New3DS was bricked.
4) It wasn't, I turned off the N3DS completely and removed the MicroSD card.
5) It rebooted and everything is fine! I suggest you format the MicroSD after downgrading if anyone hits the same problems.

Note:
Copied the SafeSysUpdater.3dsx over using the "ftBrony Turbo II" tool. Exited the ftBrony normally by pressing B.

EDIT: Wrong thread... I was meant to send my compliments to cpasjuste's thread on SafeSysUpdater.

Last edited by XenoWarrior,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.