Homebrew [WIP] AltNN - An alternative Nintendo Network server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, yeah, I said that already. I meant between users. And what I meant by that was because you don't care about further development, that means it shouldn't be continued?
By all means, if something manages to come out of this, then go ahead. I'm pretty sure you can't emulate an online service with just a logo and README, though.

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Perhaps since the weekend is coming, you can work on this more and you'll have time to push commits other than a logo? Can't wait to see where this goes :shit:

Ghost Liberator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
He may be working on the project, but aside of that there is literally no proof about any active development even taking account that OP lost 300 lines of code... But even then 4 days are more than enough to remember what that 300 lines of code did, i may not be a developer myself but i'm in contact with programmers here (not homebrew ones) and they are able to rewrite 300 lines of code in at least a day, and don't come with "300 lines of code isn't that easy" because those could as well be tabbed or separated for the sake of simplicity, i watched this thread and the one that came before this (the reverse engineering nintendo network) i didn't think it could get to this, just a facade of a development, if you OP opened a github project for this and made it public, be responsible enough to push whatever the heck you have by now, it's not about being busy or not, you said you are working on it and we are expecting to see some kind of change in the github repo at least, we are not asking for a usable thing by now, as everyone is starting to go skeptical but please provide info and documentation about the investigation that followed to the development so we can comprehend what you're doing and why is taking you time without going on saying your project is a fake

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit, I had the wrong attitude, I guess. I should be expecting things at my own convenience from devs on this site and when they don't deliver in a timeframe convenient to me call them fakes, liars and derail threads. I had no idea. My apologies everyone! Carry on!

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well shit, I had the wrong attitude, I guess. I should be expecting things at my own convince from devs on this site and when they don't deliver call them fakes, liars and derail threads. I had no idea. My apologies everyone! Carry on!
Spoken like someone who's easily conned.

If I posted a "Nintendo Switch port of ARM9loaderhax" thread with nothing but a logo, would you believe that it was real just because "ermahgerd devs are precious and must be protected"?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well shit, I had the wrong attitude, I guess. I should be expecting things at my own convenience from devs on this site and when they don't deliver in a timeframe convenient to me call them fakes, liars and derail threads. I had no idea. My apologies everyone! Carry on!

Protip: If you ever learn to develop things, don't make a post about it until you have something to show. "I lost 300 lines of untested python because of a power outage, but I spent 3 days making this logo" is not a good way to get people to believe you know what you're doing.

Ghost Liberator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
it's not like you have to wait things for your own convinience, or call devs fake because if not delivering a project at a timeframe, but hey let's make a comparison okay? apples and pears. I have a ferrari and i will take everyone who wants on a ride to any place you want to, isn't it great?.. but then there is people asking for a ride and this is what you get "uhhh sorry my ferrari is being repaired because i crashed it" then the people believing that i'm gonna take em on a ride are still there but then days pass but well... what happened to my ferrari? i never had it, i didn't even show my ferrari... Now look at this thread, OP says WIP and opens a github repo... then we wanna check the code (some just to check how much work has been done or devs who are interested in the project) but... there nothing there! we got the notice that OP lost 300 lines of code because of a shutdown okay that's understandable even knowing that any developer would autosave their work... then in my case i waited 4 days to see a thing checking the thread and the repo, nothing has been done or pushed, i can read clearly that OP said that it's working on it... but where is the work then? He lost the trust of some temps because he opened a thread of a work in progress that doesn't look like work or in progress either, it's not about supporting or not, it's about knowing that something is being done and check how much work is being done... As i said early, another programmer can effectively remember what 300 lines of code do in order to reconstruct lost code... But 4 days is more than enough for it. This is starting to look like OP doesn't really know what he is doing or how NNetwork works, but even if the investigation is done... well, why can't he push some code so we see that he is doing something? it isn't like the project is closed source as the github repo is actually open for anyone to see

Reactions: GalladeGuy

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, talking about AltNN, it seems like it's source code is copy and pasted from parts of the Alternate Wi-Fi Connection project which became Wiimmfii. And I can't see any credits from the original owners.

But you're right, there clearly hasn't been any development going on with the project. I was just blindly looking at the thread, posted here like "wow, this is amazing! I'm glad there's some progress." when I clearly didn't even look into the person's Github. I just hope there is more development with it to provide with actual code.

Last edited by Platinum Lucario,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, talking about AltNN, it seems like it's source code is copy and pasted from parts of the Alternate Wi-Fi Connection project which became Wiimmfii. And I can't see any credits from the original owners.
Now we have two problems, the second of which is a possible license violation.

https://github.com/AltNN/AltNN/blob/master/master_server.py
https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/blob/master/master_server.py

AltWFC is licensed under the AGPLv3. AltNN is licensed under the MIT license. You can't change a program's license without permission from all of the copyright holders.

Granted, AltNN doesn't actually have much in it right now, but the code structure for what's there is very similar.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +possible?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now we have two problems, the second of which is a possible license violation.

https://github.com/AltNN/AltNN/blob/master/master_server.py
https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/blob/master/master_server.py

AltWFC is licensed under the AGPLv3. AltNN is licensed under the MIT license. You can't change a program's license without permission from all of the copyright holders.

Granted, AltNN doesn't actually have much in it right now, but the code structure for what's there is very similar.
I think you're giving Python too much credit, boilerplate pretty much always looks like that ;)

einstein95

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
altWFC has nothing to do with wiimmfi, they're two different projects. One is open-source and mainly Python, the other is closed-source and PHP.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe because I'm actually working on it?
There is no evidence to suggest that is the case.

Either provide evidence promptly to support your claims, or message a mod to request this thread be locked until you have something to share.

This thread is inching ever closer to shitpost central. I'd highly recommend you have it locked on your terms, before it gets to the point where it's locked permanently.

It wouldn't be the first topic locked for being "WIP" with zero work being done on it.
Threads like this are locked all the time.
It's happened so many times that I can practically recite the mod post
Random Mod said:
I'm locking this, when you actually have something to share you can make a new post

Well what about the people who want to give the OP a chance? We get no fucking say in the matter?
You must be new to the scene.

Unfortunately that's not how things work here, you either provide proof, or you fuck off until you can provide proof.

It's part of the reason this scene is so toxic. It's ridiculous the amount of highly skilled devs we've forced out of the public scene. Unknown and/or inexperienced devs never even get a chance to prove themselves because the community is so hostile towards them.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Okay, enough now, people.

Bickering like this won't speed development up, and if it turns out to be fake: then let it die by itself. Constantly bumping it up and claiming one thing or the other won't help anyone.
I won't lock this thread, not now. I want you guys to behave though, and stop acting like children.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must be new to the scene.

Unfortunately that's not how things work here, you either provide proof, or you fuck off until you can provide proof.

It's part of the reason this scene is so toxic. It's ridiculous the amount of highly skilled devs we've forced out of the public scene. Unknown and/or inexperienced devs never even get a chance to prove themselves because the community is so hostile towards them.
Yeah, new to this scene specifically but not the modding scene.

That is quite unfortunate but I see where you're coming from. This thread brings me back to the Wii days when WiiGator was working on the Backup Loader and everyone said it was fake and he was a liar and demanded a release and threads got closed but it turned out legit. I'm not a dev or a programmer so I don't know what release ethics are proper or not to the community but I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Who's to say none of what happened didn't? Was anybody there to prove without reasonable doubt the OP didn't lose power? Did anyone think to reach out to the OP and ask them about any of these accusations thrown around in this thread, I bet not. I can see now that it's shoot first and ask questions later. What a site.

Edit: Roger that, mod. Didn't see your post.

Reactions: lonewolf08

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay, enough now, people.

Bickering like this won't speed development up, and if it turns out to be fake: then let it die by itself. Constantly bumping it up and claiming one thing or the other won't help anyone.
I won't lock this thread, not now. I want you guys to behave though, and stop acting like children.
Are you sure WE are children :glare: ?

Reactions: GalladeGuy

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What a site
Unfortunately GBAtemp has been the home of Nintendo handheld/console scenes since its inception, so there isn't really anywhere else to go.

It's never been as bad as it is this generation. Having been a member for 15 years, it's kind of heartbreaking to be honest. :sad:

Edit:
@GamingWithRamAndRem Jump on IRC and join either #Cakey (freenode) or #3dsdev (efnet). By all accounts #cakey is very welcoming and supportive of new/inexperienced devs. Don't get me wrong, you'll still need to provide proof that you're legitimate. But I think they'd give much more support and guidance than the people here would. Best of luck.

Last edited by Zidapi,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I love that everyone here seems to disregard the fact that the OP is 15. All of you brandishing torches and pitchforks at the lack of progress seem to be incredibly disconnected from reality. People, especially teenagers, tend to devote time to higher priorities over satiating assholes on the Internet. The past eight pages could have lent a hand, but instead they're filled with "FAKE AND GAY" bullshit. Stay classy, 'temp.

Last edited by Joom,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet