Homebrew Is there an MPEG-4 Alternative of NTR CFW

EnterpriseFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
None that I'd know about and unless the 3DS has hardware accelerated video encoding hidden somewhere in it I doubt it would even be possible to realize this as it would just take too much computational power to pull off. On a New 3DS with it's better WiFi chip it might be possible to stream a raw bitmap of a single stream, but even that might be severely limited by how much data the chip can actually send in a second, and may need trickery such as interlaced video to work at acceptable frame rates.

PigletTubeYT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
None that I'd know about and unless the 3DS has hardware accelerated video encoding hidden somewhere in it I doubt it would even be possible to realize this as it would just take too much computational power to pull off. On a New 3DS with it's better WiFi chip it might be possible to stream a raw bitmap of a single stream, but even that might be severely limited by how much data the chip can actually send in a second, and may need trickery such as interlaced video to work at acceptable frame rates.
The New 3DS wifi card can do more than 8000 Kilobits per second. (High Quality for 240p)

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
There is definitely MP4 for PC-->3DS, but I don't know of any the other way around.

There is fastvideo3DS encoder, which can get up to the 100FPS range on a new3DS, but it's been unreleased for like 3-4yrs now.

Also, there is zero hardware-acceleration for *encoding* any sort of image or video. Decoding however is accelerated even on old3DS (YUV --> RGB), and new3DS has dedicated MPEG frame decoder as well. But sadly none of these can be reversed.

Also also, new3DS can do ~1MB/s, which results in ~10FPS uncompressed for the top screen if the pixels were 8bpp instead of 16/24/32bpp. Definitely still need compression.
It's also not much the fault of the WiFi chip. Both the SDIO driver is bad, and the syscall latency is also huge, so the speed deficiency just adds up. Not to mention the slow FCRAM...

Last edited by Sono,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is definitely MP4 for PC-->3DS, but I don't know of any the other way around.

There is fastvideo3DS encoder, which can get up to the 100FPS range on a new3DS, but it's been unreleased for like 3-4yrs now.

Also, there is zero hardware-acceleration for *encoding* any sort of image or video. Decoding however is accelerated even on old3DS (YUV --> RGB), and new3DS has dedicated MPEG frame decoder as well. But sadly none of these can be reversed.

Also also, new3DS can do ~1MB/s, which results in ~10FPS uncompressed for the top screen if the pixels were 8bpp instead of 16/24/32bpp. Definitely still need compression.
It's also not much the fault of the WiFi chip. Both the SDIO driver is bad, and the syscall latency is also huge, so the speed deficiency just adds up. Not to mention the slow FCRAM...
Saw this pop up on Twitter and made me think of this thread. How true is this, would it help with video streaming ?

https://x.com/flipacholas/status/1768333318657851564?s=46&t=n-3L-dL3UbieWF1v8K4QpQ

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Saw this pop up on Twitter and made me think of this thread. How true is this, would it help with video streaming ?

https://x.com/flipacholas/status/1768333318657851564?s=46

Please read my post you've quoted, you probably misread or missed it. I'll try re-phrasing what I said. Re-reading my previous post, it's indeed not super clear how I've worded it.

YUV to RGB coding hardware is not reversible, it can't do RGB to YUV, so it can't be used to accelerate color-space conversion for video encoding.
As for the video decoder (which I said as "MPEG frame decoder"), it has "decoder" in its name, and it's not reversible, meaning it can't encode video.

Oh, and MVD stands for MoVie Decoder.

Reactions: TheStonedModder

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please read my post you've quoted, you probably misread or missed it. I'll try re-phrasing what I said. Re-reading my previous post, it's indeed not super clear how I've worded it.

YUV to RGB coding hardware is not reversible, it can't do RGB to YUV, so it can't be used to accelerate color-space conversion for video encoding.
As for the video decoder (which I said as "MPEG frame decoder"), it has "decoder" in its name, and it's not reversible, meaning it can't encode video.

Oh, and MVD stands for MoVie Decoder.
Ah I think I did misread it indeed I apologize

Thanks for taking the time to clarify nonetheless I appreciate it. I enjoy learning more tidbits about the system :)

Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ah I think I did misread it indeed I apologize

Thanks for taking the time to clarify nonetheless I appreciate it. I enjoy learning more tidbits about the system :)

Yeah, if it was possible, I'd be already using it in HzMod :P

Well... not completely true.
I'd be using GPU DMA for faster image transforms and pixel copy, but I was just crashing games left and right, so I had to abandon it.
Also I could map entire FCRAM into HzMod process instead of using CDMA (wasing precious FCRAM bandwidth copying memory from FCRAM into FCRAM, slowing down the game and the entire system too), but I didn't find a way to do that reliably either. I did *not* abandon this one yet, but I still need to work around it, especially for old3DS where it extremely matters due to tiny L1 cache and the really slow FCRAM.

Reactions: TheStonedModder

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol