Gaming Windows 7

DrYHeLL

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So, Windows 7 public beta (build 7000) is released tomorrow evening (according to it's page).

To start things off I've been hearing nothing but positives on this new build and the OS in general.

Things I've heard:
-All the "eye-candy" of Vista and then some
-Live Essentials will be completely free
-Public Beta starts tomorrow, ends August 1st
-Special Netbook/micro laptop edition to be sold/included with said computers.

But what I'm most stoked about is:
-Better multi-core support
-Stability and speed comparable to that of XP
-Extremely fast boot and shutdown times
-DirectX 11(I heard it will also be vista compatible but I'd much rather make full use of its speed on W7)

I wanted to create this post as a place where you can provide input from your experiences, thoughts, comments and anything else you might like to discuss about Microsoft's latest operating system.

Links:
Product page:Here
Wikipedia page:Here...
(others too just can't remember)

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not new, I've had the leaked build 7000 for quite a while. It doesn't have the nice effects on my laptop, but even if it did, I would turn it off, it still runs a bit slow, but not as slow as XP seemed to, but maybe that's because I filled the entire partition and desktop with crap.

Trust me, my laptop is OLD! It still runs okay though!
smile.gif

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've really been looking forward to 7- Vista is pretty nice, I guess, but there's a lot of issues with some older applications and hardware that I'm hoping 7 will fix.

On one hand, tomorrow is the only day for a long while I'll be able to get high-speed access to download this, but on the other hand it seems to be limited to only 2.5 million users. I'm not sure how fast that'll add up, but I'm oping it doesn't experience a huge burst before tomorrow night. If I miss it, which doesn't seem too likely, I guess, there's always the torrents, but I hate pirating operating systems that may do online checks...

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I tried it when it was leaked. Neat stuff. Too bad I tried it on a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4, LOL, I couldn't get the best out of it :\ But I do bet that it ran faster than Vista would with my P4.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Win7 runs about the same as XP on my laptop... and Vista just blows... sad part is, the laptop came with Vista... had a hell of a time finding all the drivers for XP... but now it runs perfectly... can't wait for Win7 to be RTM'd... I'll def toss it on as my main OS

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I've had no issues with vista. But, if Win 7 is faster, why not upgrade. I'll try to start a download before I go to school tomorrow see if I'm one of the first 2.5 Mil

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried this on a virtual machine, said "holy crap!" and immediately wiped Vista off my laptop and installed W7. It didn't have a single driver problem, and my tablet/laptop has a touchscreen, a fingerprint scanner, a webcam, and other goodies.

I have had the occasional error, but instead of crashing, Windows just reloads whatever crashed and moves on. I liked it so much I'm using it exclusively in my classroom when I control my presentations.

Usually I advise against using beta programs, but this "beta" is superior to the SP1 version of Vista, to my mind.

cruddybuddy

Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
Joey R. said:
*sigh*

People, you are making me install this OS. I have XP Pro SP3... I'll create a partition and install Windows 7 in it. Would I get any problems doing so?

Nope. Follow this guide if you need help

I tried a dual boot, and everything worked fine, but then my Vista copy started complaining about me not having a legitmate copy of Windows Vista. There is only one reason why Vista would complain about me not having a legal copy... Before installing Windows 7 I never had trouble with Vista complaining about my "copy."

However, I don't think this is a problem, because once you try W7, you won't want Vista installed on your computer anymore anyway.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cruddybuddy said:
Prime said:
Joey R. said:
*sigh*

People, you are making me install this OS. I have XP Pro SP3... I'll create a partition and install Windows 7 in it. Would I get any problems doing so?

I tried a dual boot, and everything worked fine, but then my Vista copy started complaining about me not having a legitmate copy of Windows Vista. There is only one reason why Vista would complain about me not having a legal copy... Before installing Windows 7 I never had trouble with Vista complaining about my "copy."

However, I don't think this is a problem, because once you try W7, you won't want Vista installed on your computer anymore anyway.

The Windows 7 Bootloader disables all the old Vista Cracks. But yeah once you go 7 it's hard to go back to Vista.

cruddybuddy

Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
MiloFoxburr said:
cruddybuddy said:
Prime said:
Joey R. said:
*sigh*

The Windows 7 Bootloader disables all the old Vista Cracks. But yeah once you go 7 it's hard to go back to Vista.

Crack? I don't know what you're talking about. You must be mistaken.

Movi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a long-time Mac user, and i despise both XP and Vista (for different reasons - XP is so outdated compared to OS X, and Vista.. it's just Vista) but i bit the bullet and installed W7 on vmWare. Wow. An hour later it was running via boot camp (where my Gentoo usually runs), and damn. It's fast, it has some nice features, and because of the new taskbar which *cough*rips-off*cough resembles the Mac OS Dock, i felt right at home!
biggrin.gif

Now if it only had all the applications i run on MacOS and if only i didn't have to install a second OS (miniGW) on it to run my Unix stuff, it would actually be a *really* good contender in my eyes. Right it's just a toy, but a very good one nontheless.

cruddybuddy

Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Movi said:
I'm a long-time Mac user, and i despise both XP and Vista (for different reasons - XP is so outdated compared to OS X, and Vista.. it's just Vista) but i bit the bullet and installed W7 on vmWare. Wow. An hour later it was running via boot camp (where my Gentoo usually runs), and damn. It's fast, it has some nice features, and because of the new taskbar which *cough*rips-off*cough resembles the Mac OS Dock, i felt right at home!
biggrin.gif

Now if it only had all the applications i run on MacOS and if only i didn't have to install a second OS (miniGW) on it to run my Unix stuff, it would actually be a *really* good contender in my eyes. Right it's just a toy, but a very good one nontheless.

I was showing another teacher the new Windows 7 taskbar - he is a big Mac user (pun intended) - and he said, "That's just like Mac!"

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Movi said:
biggrin.gif

Everything is a copy of a Mac product/feature. Didn't you know that already?
Icons lined up in a row on a bar? COPYCAT
Widgets/Gadgets? COPYCAT, WE DID THAT FIRST BEFORE ANYBODY (except all the other widget programs)
Search bar? COPYCAT
Photo Organizer/Editor? COPYCAT

Why even use a Mac when Windows is already so similar?
rolleyes.gif

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
iritegood said:
Movi said:
biggrin.gif

Everything is a copy of a Mac product/feature. Didn't you know that already?
Icons lined up in a row on a bar? COPYCAT
Widgets/Gadgets? COPYCAT, WE DID THAT FIRST BEFORE ANYBODY (except all the other widget programs)
Search bar? COPYCAT
Photo Organizer/Editor? COPYCAT

Why even use a Mac when Windows is already so similar?
rolleyes.gif
lol, "We"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person