Windows 7 questions about Retail and installing

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Chris_Skylock, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I dont know if I'll be going for the upgrade for US$120 here in my country but we have 3 PCs (Vista Premium Desktop, XP Media laptop and Vista Basic laptop)

If I will buy the Retail, can I install that on the 3 Windows PCs? My priority is the Vista Basic latop which will become a Windows 7 Premium. Should I go with Retail or do an upgrade?

My Vista Basic laptop is now causing Blue Screen and I can show you what it caused.

Questions:

How many installations can the Retail hold on different PCs? I heard 10 but some said it's only 1 PC.

I can wait for your response as I have something to do. Thank you for your time.

I searched but it didnt answered my questions though I read enough info that I should be going to Windows 7. Not sure though if it's Premium or Ultimates as the prices doesnt intrigued me unlike in Vista where I have to pay US$100 more on Ultimate. lol

2. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You should buy the Family Pack upgrade, NOT the retail. The retail for Premium only allows a single install.

The Family Pack will allow you to install Windows 7 on 3 PCs, the cost should be around 150 US dollars.

3. Chris_Skylock
    OP

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    I'll search about this FAMILY PACK and I know about its existance but Im not sure if it also apply on my country. Maybe, I'll ask our relatives from the US.

I also heard this is for pre-orders but Im yet to search for it. I'll be back for more updates about this FAMILY PACK and if I can get it in retail stores

UPDATE: FAMILY PACK is on select markets. Dunno if my country is applicable.

Can I install a downloaded Windows 7 with LEGIT product code?

I'll be pirating Windows 7 just for the software and my aunt in the US can give me the license key. Is that possible? I might not have the CD if they're buying the Family Pack but I do hope they can give me the license key for my laptop.

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    or.....................
    you could just pirate it. i have windows 7 ulimate 64 bit. if your cd key ever becomes black listed, simply download a new activator and you're good to go.

5. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Yes you can. Just make sure the product key matches whatever edition of Windows you are trying to install. Product key will also work on the 32bit or 64bit version.

6. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    btw if I buy an OEM version (as example: 32 bit)...can I use the same key with a 64 bit version of windows 7? (downloaded)

7. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
  8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada

That actually worked with bought OEM copies of Vista, so I can't see why not.

9. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    well my understanding is, that the key is 32 bit and 64 bit, but you'll just get the 32 or 64 bit DVD with an OEM version..

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it shouldnt matter

as long as its the same ver (ex. win 7 pro key 32bit cannot be used on win 7 home or ultimate 32 bit, it should be able to be used on win 7 pro 64bit fine though)
    im using a 64bit on my vista ultimate 32bit right now and works fine

11. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    A++ thinking! [​IMG]