Windows 7 Idle-sleep failing - MOBO usb devices

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gifi4, Apr 2, 2012.

1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Hey guys, I just decided to set my computer to idle sleep but it wasn't working so I went into the command prompt and typed "powercfg -energy" and it told me I had errors regarding the energy settings, so I checked out the log and what I found was that all the errors were because the USB devices could not power down
    So I decided to unplug a few usb cables + my memory card reader (from the MOBO) and tested again, now telling me I had 3 errors... I gather that these would be the 2 front powered USB ports on my tower and my wireless mouse/keyboard (1 usb cable). So the motherboard USB devices are failing to power down when the idle-sleep tries to initialize.

My motherboard drivers (And all drivers) are updated.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel - Core i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz
    RAM: 8GB Dual Channel 1300MHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1536MB (Gigabyte)
    MOBO: Intel DP67BA - LGA1155 (P67 chipset)
    HDD's: 2 x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB (SATA3)
    Optical Drive: LG - GH22NS70
    Case: CoolerMaster HAF X RC-942
    Monitor: Benq G2450H 24"

All I can gather is that the MOBO doesn't support it (Cheap mobo but efficient).

I am able to put the computer into sleep manually without any issues.

2. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    So does anyone know why? If there is a fix?

3. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I use to have that same type of issue too....... Im not sure if it was a bios update that fixed it or not .... you and I have almost the same computer lol ....Go into ur bios and see if you have an option for letting the OS take over powering down the computer , I think I have an option like that and its checked ....in power management I have it windows set to turn the monitor off after 10 mins and then sleep after 30 ..... also make sure your not running any screensaver

4. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Do we have the same motherboard?
    Because there is nothing in the power section (or anywhere else) that mentions sleeping from S3. The only thing that is about it is what the power LED does when in sleep which is set to flash and that's what happens. So, perhaps a BIOS update is needed...

5. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    So, I've updated the BIOS but to no avail. The BIOS updated but it did not fix the problem?

6. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I have a msi motherboard ..... do you have the turbo boost monitor installed ? if so does it keep showing ur cpu running at 4.2 ghz if so there is somehting running in the back round ...you could try unsyalling the logictech wireless keboard drivers and see if that helps .....

7. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Turbo boost monitor isn't installed...Does it need to be? Logitech? What are you talking about?

8. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    Downlaod ace utilities , and look at the things that boot up with ur computer.

9. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I forgot to add that , I would install the turbo boost monitor . I say that because , the cpu should be running at 3.4 when the computer is idle , if its running any higher than that , like 4.2 ( like how mine was before ) you will know that someting is running in the back round , thus not allowing the computer to sleep

10. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Considering I have CCleaner, I don't see any use for Ace Utilities so here is what's running at startup:
    I'm assuming it's the USB 3 monitor? But there is only 4 USB 3 ports and only 2 of which are powered...
    I'll try disabling it.
    edit: Disabling the USB3 monitor did not work.

11. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    log me in might be whats keeping it from falling a sleep, I would also disabe daemon from auto starting google updater might be a problem too ...... I would think the log me in is ur culprit , I mean after all you can't log in remotely if your computer is a sleep.

12. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    All is resolved.
    I belive it was the cause of my faulty gtx580 as my old GPU works fine with sleep mode...

Strangely though,
    Code:
    powercfg -energy

still reports 7 errors, all of which are USB/related.