Gaming Windows 7 Custom Icons

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we really need a Computer Help forum for some people...

This ain't really a help thread, I'm just wondering. Has anyone found a good way to modify icons like you could in XP? Like...say...change the Recycle Bin icon from the Recycle Bin to...a Smily Face(Just for quick example.) I know it was quite easy in XP to do this, but what about in 7?

And on that same order, is it possible to assign icons to different extentions? (Like...an NDS icon that would show for all .nds files, instead of the default "not a usable extention" icon.)

Yes, I'm asking this mostly because I want to work on creating real themes for Windows 7, and it doesn't work that well if you can't change this stuff...

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I guess you could just include a pack of icons for people to manually install. There's also a program called iconpackager, but I haven't really looked into that. You might want to check out this site, it has loads of advice on windows customization.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it, I don't even know how to manually install them myself. That's what I'm trying to find out. I know how to make them, I just don't know how to implement them. Same with the .ico stuff. It's rather annoying, and I've used google to try, and the only ways I've found are ones were you have to actually mess with the files. Which I can never seem to get to work.

Hence, me asking here XD

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well as I said take a look at virtualcustoms.net, you should be able to find it there. Manually changing (one by one) is really easy. Right click the thing you want a different icon for, click the option change icon (or whatever it's called in English windows, I have dutch windows XD) in the properties menu. Then browse for the icon.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*blinks*

*blinks again*

...That wasn't there last time I checked, I swear. Well, that's one thing done. Now what about the custom icons for extentions? XD *goes and looks at the link*

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*disgusted shiver* I ain't touching the reigstry...there's gotta be an easier way...

EDIT: Tried that before, once, and it didn't work very well.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a program called Types to add, delete & edit extensions on the fly (including icons). Don't know how it would help as to creating themes... Link

As for using the program, click on or add an extension. Click on the cog to the right of the bar. Then click on the icon tab. Tip: DON'T MOVE THE ICO FILE. Move it and the icon will become corrupt so make sure you have it EXACTLY where you want it on your hard drive.

~ Jon

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
jonjon95 said:
Here's a program called Types to add, delete & edit extensions on the fly (including icons). Don't know how it would help as to creating themes... Link

As for using the program, click on or add an extension. Click on the cog to the right of the bar. Then click on the icon tab. Tip: DON'T MOVE THE ICO FILE. Move it and the icon will become corrupt so make sure you have it EXACTLY where you want it on your hard drive.

~ Jon

Is there any way to add extension compatibility? Like for .nds files and such?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jonjon95 said:

~ Jon

If you want to create an extension simply type it into the bar, click the green plus button then you can config it with cog button.

~ Jon

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You have a problem with me signing my name? I believe it was you who asked for the help in the first place
tongue.gif

but then again i guess it is a noob-like thing to do I'll stop eventually...

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried, but when I add .nds and select the icon I want for it, it changes the name to .nd on the configuration window, and it still won't be displayed in the list of extensions.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Demonbart said:
I tried, but when I add .nds and select the icon I want for it, it changes the name to .nd on the configuration window, and it still won't be displayed in the list of extensions.

I can show you how to add extensions manually but the method depends on which Windows OS you have. XP, Vista, or 7?

~ Jon

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
jonjon95 said:
Demonbart said:

I can show you how to add extensions manually but the method depends on which Windows OS you have. XP, Vista, or 7?

~ Jon
I'm on Win7 x64. Never would've expected that the OS actually matters.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-