Gaming Wind Waker HD

D

Deleted_171835

Foxi4, your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.

"in a series which is supposed to be relatively mature considering the previous installments which perhaps were slightly cartoonish, but only due to technical limitations, woo-hoo"

lmao.

Two 3D Zelda entries before Wind Waker means that there was an established art-style?

Cell-shading suddenly makes the game less mature?

Quit all yo' butthurt over the visuals.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...So what you're trying to say, is you are one of the dumb people who passed on the game because it looked like a cartoon? Right, this discussion is over.
I passed on the game because it doesn't look OR "feel" like a Zelda game. When you're making a game, you need to design and theme it correctly.

Imagine for a moment that Nintendo would go out and make Metroid: Wind Flyer where Samus has a massive head, looks cartoonish and shoots space mice. It might be good on its own merit, but not with previous titles in the background, looming over it ominously. Theming is important. Theming is f*cked up in Wind Waker. Deal with it.

Two 3D Zelda entries before Wind Waker means that there was an established art-style?
Cell-shading suddenly makes the game less mature?
Quit all yo' butthurt over the visuals.
Look at the artbooks of previous LoZ titles, or preferably smack them againts your forehead so you see them better. Nothing in the previous LoZ titles, be it in-game or as game art looked even remotely like Wind Waker. You have to be blind not to see that.

Also, the game isn't as mature as the previous installments due to its theming, not just the graphics.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I passed on the game because it doesn't look OR "feel" like a Zelda game. When you're making a game, you need to design and theme it correctly.

Imagine for a moment that Nintendo would go out and make Metroid: Wind Flyer where Samus has a massive head, looks cartoonish and shoots space mice. It might be good on its own merit, but not with previous titles on the background, looming over it ominously. Theming is important. Theming is f*cked up in Wind Waker. Deal with it.
Except in Wind Waker you're still kill the exact same enemies that you killed in previous Zelda titles. You're dealing with a princess, hyrule, triforce, master sword, ganon... everything. If you're going to pull that card, you might as well say A Link to the Past isn't a Zelda game because it's not like the original Zelda game on the NES.

Also, the game isn't as mature as the previous installments due to its theming, not just the graphics.
Uh yeah it is. If you played the game you would know that. Throughout the game it's gets dark. Fuck even the last boss gets stabbed in the middle of the forehead by a sword. You missed out on a fantastic title and a fantastic Zelda game. Deal with it.
Unless when it comes to the... *shudders...
The Triforce treasure hunt.
Then the sailing becomes terribly tedious. Still worth for what comes next though

I'll give you that. But that was because there was something else that was supposed to be added there but it was dropped or something. So who knows, maybe they'll fix it up for this re-release.

Reactions: gamefan5

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Uh yeah it is. If you played the game you would know that. Throughout the game it's gets dark. Fuck even the last boss gets stabbed in the middle of the forehead by a sword. You missed out on a fantastic title and a fantastic Zelda game. Deal with it.
That's entirely debatable. Using that kind of argumentation I could convince the world that the Moomins are pretty freaking dark, which doesn't change the fact that they factually aren't.

Like I said, a matter of taste. To me, Wind Waker stands for when LoZ got confused at a crossroads, went the wrong way, came back (TP) and then went the wrong way again, this time due to technical limitations (DS Zelda). If you like it, that's great - I don't have to. Perhaps I will give the game a chance, perhaps I won't - as it stands today, it's just not appealing to me.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's entirely debatable. Using that kind of argumentation I could convince the world that the Moomins are pretty freaking dark, which doesn't change the fact that they factually aren't.

Like I said, a matter of taste. To me, Wind Waker stands for when LoZ got confused at a crossroads, went the wrong way, came back (TP) and then went the wrong way again, this time due to technical limitations (DS Zelda). If you like it, that's great - I don't have to. Perhaps I will give the game a chance, perhaps I won't - as it stands today, it's just not appealing to me.

Twilight Princess sucked. There was no color. Just wanted to say that. Also, what the fuck is a moomin? Eh, don't care.

D

Deleted_171835

Look at the artbooks of previous LoZ titles, or preferably smack them againts your forehead so you see them better. Nothing in the previous LoZ titles, be it in-game or as game art looked even remotely like Wind Waker. You have to be blind not to see that.

So what, they're not allowed to change up the art-style? It's fucking Zelda, pretty much every 3D entry is completely different.

OOT/Majora's Mask - semi-realism?
Wind Waker - cell-shaded
Twilight Princess - realism
Skyward Sword - impressionist art

Considering that people typically criticize Nintendo for not changing things up enough, it's odd to have someone whine about how all the 3D Zelda games should look the same.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't have a non-"jerking off to it "because it's Zelda!"" opinion unless it negativity towards Nintendo. /jk

:P

Right, this discussion is over.
And yet...

...how do you not know Moomins?

Dude... catch up with your childhood, you missed out on a cool cartoon.

Even I never heard of them...

And Foxi4, stop being a downer. :P

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what, they're not allowed to change up the art-style? It's fucking Zelda, pretty much every 3D entry is completely different.

OOT/Majora's Mask - semi-realism?
Wind Waker - cell-shaded
Twilight Princess - realism
Skyward Sword - impressionist art

Considering that people typically criticize Nintendo for not changing things up enough, it's odd to have someone whine about how all the 3D Zelda games should look the same.
Just let it go. Only those who played WW knows what they're talking about. If they don't well they just don't. Let it go.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You don't seem to get it. It's not about the texturing fashion, it's about character design. I can easily put OoT, TP, SS and MM designs into one bucket - they differ texture-wise due to issues of technology, not issues of design. WW is the odd one out because it looks the way it looks entirely on purpose. Some people may have a problem with that, some people accept that - both approaches are entirely valid. To me it looks odd considering the rest of the series and stands out in a negative fashion, plain and simple.
Just let it go. Only those who played WW knows what they're talking about. If they don't well they just don't. Let it go.
I guess I'll just have to play with a turd to be 100% certain that it is indeed a turd - looking at it, hearing negative reviews about it which entirely match my predictions and "smelling its qualities" is just not enough for me to establish that it is not a weirdly-shaped piece of chocolate. :tpi:

If playing Wind Waker through will give me the holy right to rag on it all I want then freaking hell, I shall acquire Wind Waker post-haste and play it most eagerly while making notes.

And Foxi4, stop being a downer. :P
I'm not even trying to be a downer - I just said I didn't like the game for because of this and that and people jumped me with pitchforks and torches lol.

D

Deleted_171835

You don't seem to get it. It's not about the texturing fashion, it's about character design. I can easily put OoT, TP, SS and MM designs into one bucket - they differ texture-wise due to issues of technology, not issues of design. WW is the odd one out because it looks the way it looks entirely on purpose. Some people may have a problem with that, some people accept that - both approaches are entirely valid. To me it looks odd considering the rest of the series and stands out in a negative fashion, plain and simple.
Skyward Sword looks similar to OOT/MM/TP? Not even close.

That was another deliberate choice in art-style. If Nintendo wanted to, Skyward Sword could have easily used similar visuals to Twilight Princess. There was nothing stopping them technically.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Skyward Sword looks similar to OOT/MM/TP? Not even close.
That was another deliberate choice in art-style. If Nintendo wanted to, Skyward Sword could have easily used similar visuals to Twilight Princess. There was nothing stopping them technically.
When you go down to the basic models, the visuals are actually very close. Different shading doesn't constitute different character design. Besides, I think I'm entitled to dislike something, thank you very much.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I'll just have to play with a turd to be 100% certain that it is indeed a turd - looking at it, hearing negative reviews about it which entirely match my predictions and "smelling its qualities" is just not enough for me to establish that it is not a weirdly-shaped piece of chocolate. :tpi:
And you wonder why everybody just jumped you?

Also: http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker

I'm not even trying to be a downer - I just said I didn't like the game for because of this and that and people jumped me with pitchforks and torches lol.

Uh because you came in here saying that it's not even a real Zelda game and shit and being a retard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk