Win a K1 Reverse Engineered GBA!

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by gibberish, Jun 8, 2012.

Jun 8, 2012
  1. gibberish
    OP

Member gibberish GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Finally there’s some news regarding this marvellous machine. If you head on over to obscurehandhelds you’ll see that the mass production run of K1 handhelds has begun and they’re going to be making their way over to an English language store for sale very soon. It’s taken far too long, but I am assured that the delay has been down to a rigorous testing and tweaking period by the factory - so at least we can expect a very nicely polished product for our patience.

Additionally, if you would like to win one of these joyous gadgets there is a competition organised by the shop that’ll be stocking them. Head on over to the competition page to find out about it and enter for the chance to win. I don’t expect many entries because the blog has a fairly small reader base, so the chances of winning are perhaps higher than you might think :-)

Good luck!

2. ruilong

Member ruilong GBAtemp Regular

United States
    gibberish, can you post those designs that people created in the contest here? I think it will be very funny to see different people's different ideas.

3. regnad

Member regnad Button Masher

Japan
    Boo. Thumbs down.

1 person likes this.
  4. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    very nice, been waiting for this.

5. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I wonder if the K-Card will work on real GBASPs... It should since it looks to be a 1:1 clone, or at least I hope so.

6. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It was said not too. I think it does not contain any bootable rom.

7. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I find some of the entries hilarious, they have absolutely no relation to the GBA (example, a picture of a NES cart. Wtf was the maker thinking? lol)

8. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    FAQ says it doesn't. I recommend everyone read the FAQ, actually... after reading it, I'm actually rather disappointed and, personally, I'll be sticking with a real GBA SP with an EZ Flash IV. The K1, despite claming 100% compatibility, says in the FAQ that compatibility is only 99% (100% of games work, but not all of them perfectly). Plus no GBC compatibility, plus the K1 cart doesn't work with real GBAs, which means if either cart or system breaks, the other is useless. The only pro I see in this over a real Gba is direct TV output, and it claims to have a better screen.

9. ruilong

United States
    I think you guys can not compare K1 with the real GBA SP. They are not the same products. K1 is a hardware clone GBA clone. Not the same with other GBA clone devices, it has better compatibility with GBA roms. And excellent TV out. Besides that, I think the cross buttons have a better hand feels as the manufacture make a big improvement for them. This improvement will let you feel a softer hand feeling on the buttons.

Finally I think this device is more cheap than the original one if you really consider the price.

Later, the manufacture will make an updated version of K 1 GBA called K101. This version will include RTC and will have non-folden case which looks like Dingoo A320.

1 person likes this.
  10. gibberish
    OP

United Kingdom
    Some great entries so far! These are some of my favourites. (Note: I am not choosing the winner, the K1GBA team are).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still plenty of time to create something, the compeition closes on the 10th July. Give it a go!

11. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    Now THAT I might actually consider... I like the "original" styled GBA so much better, but I can't deal without a backlight or built-in rechargeable battery. If K1 releases such a model, I seriously would consider it, despite everything I just said.

12. gibberish
    OP

United Kingdom
    New designs uploaded to the blog today... There are quite a few designs, but not that many entrants - so the chance of winning with a good design is still pretty good. Get on it people!

13. gibberish
    OP

United Kingdom
    Last chance today!

14. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    I should give this a shot its probably a higher chance of getting one than expecting the one I ordered via zarmark months ago turning up.

15. gibberish
    OP

United Kingdom
    The competition winner has been announced on my blog, and the consoles are now in stock at www.k1gba.com! There is a limited supply of 50 until the next batch arrive, so if you want one you'd better get in quick!

16. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Dag. Mine didn't win. Ah well. Congrats to the winner.

17. ruilong

United States
    Don't be so bad my friend! How many people in GBAtemp want to play one more contest for this device? You guys can throw out your idea for the contest you want. I will talk with the moderator here to see if they can allow us to run it here.

1 person likes this.
  18. gibberish
    OP

United Kingdom
    Sorry if anyone's trying to get on the obscurehandhelds blog to see the entries / winners. The blog's been suspended, not sure why.

edit/ site is back on.

19. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Dead link.

Anyway, this is an awesome device, I wish I could get one!

20. ruilong

United States
    Hey my friend, It is OK to get on obscurehandhelds blog now. I think WP may adjust their system, which may caused your blog. It is OK now. But my eyes got a little blind after I read longer on your blog because of all the black colors :blink: