GCN Will you get in trouble by your ISP for downloading Gamecube Games?

just1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title says it all. Will you get in trouble by your ISP for downloading Gamecube Games? Since they are now old, does it matter if you bittorrent them? I only ask because I once started to download Iron Man before it was released and I got a violation notification from my ISP saying that paramount informed them or something...

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
just1234 said:
Title says it all. Will you get in trouble by your ISP for downloading Gamecube Games? Since they are now old, does it matter if you bittorrent them? I only ask because I once started to download Iron Man before it was released and I got a violation notification from my ISP saying that paramount informed them or something...

Of course you can get in trouble for downloading Gamecube Games. You can get in trouble for downloading *anything* remotely worth anything.

I believe the copyright period lasts around 50 years before expiring, and the gamecube is definitely not that old. Do yourself a favour, if you enjoy the games, then go by them, because if you've been caught before, odds are you'll get caught again because your ISP will be keeping a closeful watch on you.

rush57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not just use peer guardian? Peer guardian filters out anti p2p groups from connecting to you via bittorrent. Although it does not guarantee that you won't get caught by anti p2p groups its still quite effective.

I used to get those emails, but from what I've read they don't really do anything. The ISP sends the notice just to scare you into getting your crap together. I haven't recieved a notice email since i've used peer guardian.

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only way to stop your ISP from sending you emails about downloading is to stop using p2p and torrents. Most isp's only watch these forms of downloading, they leave the newsgroups alone.

You cannot mask your IP from your ISP, you can only hide it from outside sources, like the servers and stuff. Your ISP will always know what you are doing as they can monitor the ports you are using, the data that goes through their systems to your system.

I'm in the UK and with Virgin Media, who recently have given out loads of emails and letters to people to warm them about downloading. However I download about 500-700 gigs a month including music, games and films all from the newsgroups and have had no emails or letters because they cannot see what I'm downloading.

just1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hankchill: My gosh, you sound like my ISP. Of course you can get in to trouble for downloading anything worth something! My question is about the likelihood of getting into trouble. And you say that an ISP keeps some sort of a "bad list" on people who they catch? Is this a theory you have, or a fact? Anyway, I'm not sure I was caught by my ISP, because in the email, they said that Paramount notified them. And I would think that they would keep a closer eye on popular torrents such as movies that haven't even been released yet than they would on outdated video games.

@rush57: So PeerGuardian works pretty good, huh? I've looked into things like I2P and TOR that completely anonymize P2P downloads, but if I2P is as slow on torrents as it is on web browsing, then I don't want to use it. I might just try out PeerGuardian then, thanks!

@Captin: So exactly how is it that your ISP can't see what you are downloading?

EDIT: Wait, so do I just need to check to block Anti-P2P organizations when I install SafePeer, or do I need to check more things to be protected when torrenting?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To field a question for Captin, you can download from newsgroups with 256 bit SSL encryption. So they have no clue what your dl ing, just that you are.

EDIT: And GCN games really aren't that old. They still sell them at Wal-Mart, Target, etc at least here.

Maybe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:
To field a question for Captin, you can download from newsgroups with 256 bit SSL encryption. So they have no clue what your dl ing, just that you are.

EDIT: And GCN games really aren't that old. They still sell them at Wal-Mart, Target, etc at least here.

A game becomes "old" when they stop making games for it, not when they stop selling it. At least IMO, because at Gamecrazy they still sell SNES games, and that is pretty old
wink.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Maybe: I was referencing Target and WalMart, because they are mainstream stores, not specialty stores like a game shop. Heck, there's a game store by me that still sells 2600 games.

@just1234: I personally use astraweb.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
just1234 said:
Thanks guys.

And @ Captin & mysticwaterfall, what newsgroups do you use to to get stuff like this?

he's talking about binary groups. Most ISPs don't allow access to the binary groups (they look like this: alt.binaries.sony.psp as an example). Some (like surewest here in the US) do allow access to the binaries, but mostly you will have to pay someone else to go through them. I used to use powerusenet. fair price for unimited download.

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can't you use like peerguardian or something to keep people from snooping on what you are downloading? the ISP Wont care unless someone else (say nintendo) sees you downloading it and decides to contact your ISP

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earl said:
Can't you use like peerguardian or something to keep people from snooping on what you are downloading? the ISP Wont care unless someone else (say nintendo) sees you downloading it and decides to contact your ISP
Um, it's the ISP notifying the companies. They do care. You are using up excess bandwidth, they do not like that.

just1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gore said:
Earl said:
Um, it's the ISP notifying the companies. They do care. You are using up excess bandwidth, they do not like that.
I don't know about that. My ISP said that paramount notified them when I got a warning once.

U-said-it

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it's illegal.

Copyright laws apply even to non-profit items/ideas, so unless you own the game your downloading....

A rule of thumb seen on a lot of group forums is an honorary *10 Year Old* policy on hosting game images, and never for a system still being produced.

Your best bet would be to find a direct download. Like from a hosting site. - Megaupload, Mediafire, Rapidshare, etc...

I obviously can't give you any links to places like these, so just Yahoo or Google it.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't received any notifications.... ever. Thing about ISPs in smaller, less populated areas, they won't anger their customers or kick them off. They don't want to lose the monthly money by doing so. And they won't notify any copyright holders because, odds are, the employees probably pirate stuff too.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My friend who use BeThere have received emails from the ISP about downloading movies and a GBAtemper have received an ISP email for NDS roms downloads. So yeah, like hankchill said, you can be caught for anything you downloaded that's worth a cent or more. Even SNES roms. GBA roms. Anything... *shifty eyes*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi