• Replies 41
  • Likes 1

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The reason for cartridge is the change in architecture and instructions, thou a quad core x86 should simulate wii u without problem. Nintendo has mentioned wii u sip before when they talk about next gen in 2014, claiming they can put wii u on something more mobile.
The wiiu already is pretty mobile. I remember seeing a video of someone playing in the train less than a month after release date.

What I am saying is that you trade your wii u for nx expansion so you can play wii u game on the nx.
But...but...but...why would nintendo even WANT to make such a cartridge? It's a lot of time and effort to build something everyone who wants to play wiiu games already has (it's called a wiiu). And they can't make money of the result because they'll get "payed" by the very wiiu consoles they were trying to get rid of.

Reactions: Margen67

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The wiiu already is pretty mobile. I remember seeing a video of someone playing in the train less than a month after release date.

But...but...but...why would nintendo even WANT to make such a cartridge? It's a lot of time and effort to build something everyone who wants to play wiiu games already has (it's called a wiiu). And they can't make money of the result because they'll get "payed" by the very wiiu consoles they were trying to get rid of.
For the sake of not pissing off wii u owners.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never trade in my systems. Once they get old, I normally just hack them, then download all the games I could never find and or just back up my current games to preserve the system's hardware.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just guess:
A10 7870k is $137, which I will suppose production is $70, which double that would be $140, which is the as much as xbox one but on a higher clock, so xbox one chip should be no more than $100, where the nx chip, assuming it has 20 gcn cores to exceed ps4, can be produced at $120. And if nintendo go with 4 zen instead of 8 excavator, the production should be at $100. Since nintendo are going to grab lots of them, the actual price should be around $120.
The ram should be no more than $80 even for 8 GB of HBM2.
The board and primarry storage(32 gb) should be $60.
The psu should be no more than $20.
There you have $400 for the primary nx console bundle with storage and a controller.
For the handheld, k12 should be around $15 per core, or in nintendo's case where clock is lowered, the pirce should be $20 total. Two extra low frequency a53 should be $10. The gpu should be about $30, and $20 for other soc functions, where the total would be $80, and since it is soc the price should be lower and nintendo can get for actual $80. The board and main storage would cost another $20. The battery should be $15, and 16GB sd card for $15. The control should be $20, and screen for $50. There you have $250 for the handheld with more capability than an iPhone 5s and a handheld exclusive game.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just guess:
A10 7870k is $137, which I will suppose production is $70, which double that would be $140, which is the as much as xbox one but on a higher clock, so xbox one chip should be no more than $100, where the nx chip, assuming it has 20 gcn cores to exceed ps4, can be produced at $120. And if nintendo go with 4 zen instead of 8 excavator, the production should be at $100. Since nintendo are going to grab lots of them, the actual price should be around $120.
The ram should be no more than $80 even for 8 GB of HBM2.
The board and primarry storage(32 gb) should be $60.
The psu should be no more than $20.
There you have $400 for the primary nx console bundle with storage and a controller.
For the handheld, k12 should be around $15 per core, or in nintendo's case where clock is lowered, the pirce should be $20 total. Two extra low frequency a53 should be $10. The gpu should be about $30, and $20 for other soc functions, where the total would be $80, and since it is soc the price should be lower and nintendo can get for actual $80. The board and main storage would cost another $20. The battery should be $15, and 16GB sd card for $15. The control should be $20, and screen for $50. There you have $250 for the handheld with more capability than an iPhone 5s and a handheld exclusive game.
and then they piss away their profit giving away free stuff.....:tpi:

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Or what should they do so they do not piss off wii u owners?
there will always be the minority of pissed off people....its some peoples default position......bet there is still some people boycotting nintendo until they get their free SNES addon for the N64 :rolleyes:

people dont even know what NX is properly yet, for all you know it may have full backwards compatibility and your throwing a wobbler for nothing

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For the sake of not pissing off wii u owners.
Okay...and WHY exactly would wiiu owners be pissed off in the first place? I don't know if you noticed, but Xbone and PS4 managed to get by quite well without backward compatibility. And for good reason: you can do controversial things like keeping your last gen console and play games on them.

Please don't tell me you think wiiu owners are pissed because they ran out of HDMI ports on their telly to plug in one additional peripheral.

Fuck...come to think of it: I think more wiiu owners were pissed off when nintendo didn't reveal the NX last E3 than there would be angry because this console lifespan is relatively short.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay...and WHY exactly would wiiu owners be pissed off in the first place? I don't know if you noticed, but Xbone and PS4 managed to get by quite well without backward compatibility. And for good reason: you can do controversial things like keeping your last gen console and play games on them.

Please don't tell me you think wiiu owners are pissed because they ran out of HDMI ports on their telly to plug in one additional peripheral.

Fuck...come to think of it: I think more wiiu owners were pissed off when nintendo didn't reveal the NX last E3 than there would be angry because this console lifespan is relatively short.

Look at it this way. 100+ million people bought a Wii. Most of them will end up skipping the Wii U. If you bought an NX, wouldn't a good selling point be the ability to play all those Wii U (and possibly Wii and GC games) that you missed out on?

Gamecube sales were not that great, but it had a lot of fantastic exclusives. Being able to catch up on the Gamecube library was a huge selling point for the Wii in the early days.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look at it this way. 100+ million people bought a Wii. Most of them will end up skipping the Wii U. If you bought an NX, wouldn't a good selling point be the ability to play all those Wii U (and possibly Wii and GC games) that you missed out on?

Gamecube sales were not that great, but it had a lot of fantastic exclusives. Being able to catch up on the Gamecube library was a huge selling point for the Wii in the early days.
While the gamecube use standard controller, wii u has a game pad.
Do you think nx can handle wii u natively with emulator? Zen has more than enough processing power but wii u is has three cores. But considering the xbox 360 emulator on xbox one, it should be more than enough even if the cpu is under clocked.
Too bad sony stick with a 8 core custom cell.

Last edited by Yil,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Easy answer: no. If those 100+ million people wanted a wiiu or the games, they would've bought one already. And if they do, they can still get a second hand wiiu.

A few weeks ago, I had an interesting forum discussion on a different (non-gaming) forum: a father wanted to know what was out there on consoles to play with his very young son. The majority advised the wii. Considering the full wii BC the wiiu has (which was mentioned), hardly anyone advised getting that. Myself included, I might add: I just can't advise paying twice the price for at best an equal amount of fun.

I'm going to ask for sources here. If what you're saying is correct, there should have been a spike in gamecube game sales in those early wii days (oh, and gamecube controllers as well). So my question is: was there?

I also have to bring up the elephant in the room: the wiiu gamepad. It's a relatively costly controller, so this theoretical wiiu plugin also has to come bundled with one of those. Which would put the thing in the price range of second hand wiiu's even more.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the gamecube use standard controller, wii u has a game pad.
Do you think nx can handle wii u natively with emulator? Zen has more than enough processing power but wii u is has three cores. But considering the xbox 360 emulator on xbox one, it should be more than enough even if the cpu is under clocked.
Too bad sony stick with a 8 core custom cell.

Right now, I think the smart money is that the NX will include a controller with a touchscreen. At the very least, Nintendo will likely make whatever the portable component of the NX is (successor to the 3DS) available for remote-streaming and controlling the base console of the NX.

Also, there is a good chance that the NX home console is going to be compatible with Wii and Wii U controllers and accessories. The Wii U controller may have been expensive at launch, but the extra components (mainly the touchscreen and cameras) are pretty cheap now, so it should be available for around the price of a PS4 controller if Nintendo wants to go down that path. Also, many Wii U games work just fine without the second screen.

rypaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The inaccuracies about hardware specs along with the wishful thinking and dreaming in this thread about highly unlikely scenarios have all convinced me to start my own 'What if scientists were able to genetically create Unico from pony, narwhal and Tinkerbell DNA splicing so I could ride my very own magical Unicorn IRL' Thread.

Oh and so I am not accused of going mucho OT I am sure I will be purchasing and NX or whatever Nintendo decides to call it regardless of BC. Up to this point I personally have been happy with the games being released on the WIi/WiiU platforms and I suspect this will continue into the next generation. Life is about variety and personal tastes. I don't expect everybody to like the same things I do, that would just be boring.

Last edited by rypaul,

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
A tri core powerpc expansion cartridge to run wii u games and a dvd, and if you trade in your wii u you get discount on the nx as well as these two hardware expansions for free.
Why DVD?
Wii U games use Blu-Ray.

If they don't have Wii U backward compatibility I'll be genuinely surprised.

rypaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But actually seriously as much as it would be convenient for us who owned a WiiU the technical work and other efforts involved with implementing BC would probably not be worth it especially since the hardware in many ways besides the video processor is completely different. BC is a privilege not a right. In this case due to the stuff I already mentioned it is not even a reasonable expectation

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But actually seriously as much as it would be convenient for us who owned a WiiU the technical work and other efforts involved with implementing BC would probably not be worth it especially since the hardware in many ways besides the video processor is completely different. BC is a privilege not a right. In this case due to the stuff I already mentioned it is not even a reasonable expectation
Well there is the wii u emulators. Since nintendo has proper api they should be able to pull out something, like what microsoft is doing right now but better. Current amd cpu is like 8 core, 4 threads. Zen is like 4 core, 8 thread, and is clearly better suited for emulators. And gpu is just as important as the rest these days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::lol::rofl::rofl2: