Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's just capitalism, being other contries that aren't that have the same issues, and it usually just relates to how powerful or rich they are, and you don't always need capitalism to get that.
It's oligarchy, and true, capitalism isn't the only economic system that produces oligarchs, but it does seem to outpace most others in terms of speed of production. We've got far more Bezoses and Musks than Russia has Putins or China has Xi Jinpings. Not to mention that modern-day Russia and China are also capitalist countries anyway.

Reactions: cracker

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's just the nature of a capitalist system.

It's in the nature of people who lust for power. You can call "the system" whatever you want. Blaming capitalism is an example of failing to address the issue.

That's beyond silly, I guarantee that filthy rich people would still exist at this point in time even if you did not. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but it's pointless to sit around feeling guilty about your part in that; and it's definitely not a good excuse for failing to call out actions that are ethically/morally reprehensible in other ways.

It's not up to me to end their existence, and to "call them out" would only scrutinize myself and embolden the current, already corrupt system. The best thing I could do is replace the system with something better, and that would start with me and how I live my life. I don't feel guilty. I just don't see the reward. It is, admittedly, hypocritical of me to participate in this thread. But, calling them bad does what? Appeal to their hearts and encourage real change? It seems to just tighten the collective noose. I'm not interested in a society whose motivation is driven by popular appeal and saving face.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Blaming capitalism is an example of failing to address the issue.
As individuals it's not within our power to address systemic issues directly. Literally all we can do is voice our displeasure with them through various means and methods.

The best thing I could do is replace the system with something better, and that would start with me and how I live my life.
That's just playing make believe, these issues don't go away simply because you choose to bury your head in the sand.

I just don't see the reward.
The reward for developing yourself into a good person with a strong moral/ethical foundation? It would probably make your mother proud, for one. I won't put a gun to your head though, it just seems like you get nine-tenths of the way to an epiphany in a lot of these discussions and then drop the transmission out throwing your brain into reverse.

Reactions: cracker

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What in the holy hell? LMFAO! One of the last kids to grow up in that era where slapping was still accepted? Uh, I'm nearly 20 years older than you. Just because your lived in a dysfunctional home doesn't mean slapping was the normal thing to do and just accepted by everyone. Slapping being accepted is not and was not the norm. Just because your parents slapped you around, doesn't mean it was normal in your "era". And it helped you straighten out? Okay, I guess. If having to take meds later for "energetic and out of control" aspects of yourself, I wouldn't say it helped you out. If anything, it's the cause. Stop acting like violence in any form is somehow normal, or was normal in whatever imaginary "era" you grew up in.
I guess someone grew up in a more privileged household eh? Or perhaps one of those west coast alternative lifestyle families? You are not the standard example unfortunately, as again I was not the only one from my era nor was I the last. Hell, I even got slapped around before by my father for mouthing off at him in a baseball game I was in. Did anyone speak up or stop him? Hell no, in fact despite everything they asked him to come and co-coach the team in the future. Mind you this was when I was 10 at the time so...1999? Sounds about right. Again it was fairly normal still, but it was also the turning point where the mentality of it started to change among some groups and families, It just did not reach my region yet.

Perhaps basing your own limited scope experience of life on others is not a good idea, as your baseline for what constitutes as normal does not reflect the rest of the world or the reality they live in. Step out from your pampered life and step into what the real world has to offer for the rest of us living at the time.

Physical aggression is not violence? Have you used a dictionary lately? Have you looked into any actual law regarding this? Because you have zero idea what you're talking about.

By that logic a flick behind the ear can be considered a form of violence then. Sure with enough money and a good lawyer though this can be fact. Is that what you are trying to say? Because if so then you are just proving my point about the over sensitivity of the concept. People used to be able to handle better back in the day, but I guess they are just made of glass now. (Or more realistically, they just want to sue everyone around them into the ground for money.)

I know where this conversation is going, and for the sake of not having this turn into some twisted semi-political back and forth on how two different people grew up in two different life scenarios I am walking away from this. I have made my statements on the matter and its clear that your mentality was brought up in more fortunate and nurturing scenarios where I was brought up in more realistic and harsh scenarios. Despite everything I got most of what I wanted out of life as an adult and I am fortunate of that. If you can respect that then the conversation is over, but if you can't then it just proves the original point I was making, and that you have no respect for others or how they were raised..

• Haha
Reactions: Stone_Wings

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As individuals it's not within our power to address systemic issues directly. Literally all we can do is voice our displeasure with them through various means and methods.
This does not address my point or the original claim that you made. It's just a pivot away from it. Blaming capitalism for greed and exploitation is not blaming greed and exploitation or anything close to a cause of it.

That's just playing make believe, these issues don't go away simply because you choose to bury your head in the sand.

Where is it implied that by creating a better system one is to ignore the faults of the current. As you suggested before, our powers seem limited. Understanding limits and doing what you can is proactive, not passive. New, and better systems obsolete older archaic systems by design.

The reward for developing yourself into a good person with a strong moral/ethical foundation? It would probably make your mother proud, for one. I won't put a gun to your head though, it just seems like you get nine-tenths of the way to an epiphany in a lot of these discussions and then drop the transmission out throwing your brain into reverse.

I don't see the reward about bitching about capitalism and trying to deeply embed yourself into the grid. You may call that making yourself a better person. I call it bullshit.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I heard that the Academy did ask Will Smith to leave after the incident and he refused.. wtf :rofl:

US actor Will Smith (53) has announced his resignation from the film academy as a result of the slap in the face at the Oscars. His behavior at the awards ceremony was "shocking, painful and inexcusable," the Oscar winner wrote on Friday.

What fucks me up: Do something first and then don't take responsibility for it. Rather backtrack - what a shitty Company / Society of wimps and hypocrites.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
US actor Will Smith (53) has announced his resignation from the film academy as a result of the slap in the face at the Oscars. His behavior at the awards ceremony was "shocking, painful and inexcusable," the Oscar winner wrote on Friday.

What fucks me up: Do something first and then don't take responsibility for it. Rather backtrack - what a shitty Company / Society of wimps and hypocrites.

Good. Now he should return the Oscar and retire from all forms of entertainment. His music and movies all suck anyway.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good. Now he should return the Oscar and retire from all forms of entertainment. His music and movies all suck anyway.
I think the current state of affairs is more than enough.
He knows he fucked up.
He has acknowledged it and apologized.
And more important there have been consequences, he will not be able to attend any academy related event in the near future.
He may work on his behavior, he may improve in his conduct, he may again be part of the academy after this in the future, and that is all ok. Only thing that is important from my point of view is that there have been consequences signaling that this type of conduct is not acceptable.

No need for further penalizations like returning Oscars or retiring, only work on changing for the better.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
And more important there have been consequences, he will not be able to attend any academy related event in the near future.
You are too kind. Really. I'm sure that's what people would expect, but where is the truth in that? AFAIK he can still win awards and still get nominated. He just can't vote or get free screeners. But it's okay because he's Jada's pet +1, and she will give him whatever he needs as long as he serves her well.

You know what kind of thing I would expect in an apology? An alternative of how he should have reacted. Otherwise it's lip service and the current example is still what remains. Maybe I missed it, so please let me know.

Last edited by tabzer,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare