Hacking Question Will I be able to keep my switch up to date with Xecuter SX ?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If Nintendo manages to patch the SX OS with future updates, you can just wait for them to update the payload and bypass the patch. That's exactly how GW did it for years with the 3DS. Nintendo can't patch this.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
One could simply not install autoRCM, right? But if I've been hearing correctly, the pin connectors also have a chance to break a pin each time they're inserted, correct? Or if you have them at the right length/size are they safer?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One could simply not install autoRCM, right? But if I've been hearing correctly, the pin connectors also have a chance to break a pin each time they're inserted, correct? Or if you have them at the right length/size are they safer?
I have only heard the pins being damaged either due to paperclips (physically) or tin foil (electrically). The plastic jig model itself is made to be the right size that fits perfectly into the Switch rail. However, the metal wiring is a variable that depends on the skill of whoever is making the jig.

Reactions: Xzi

Jungle_Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, dude, no worries - you will be able to, until at least the next Nintendo firmware update!

When they patch out and obfuscate the entrypoints for the hooks TX' uses to get their piracy loader running. :) At which point you'll have a TX' solution, that has your switch only turning on via a dongle - and then no CFW functionality on top of that. No worries - its gonna be great.

Just please promise, that you dont come to this forum for support then. Thank you. :)

The access points (where i assume TX hijacks the requests, and redirect where they need it to) will still have to be there, or the OS / Switch wouldn't be able to use it.
So a simple patch updating the memory address would be almost trivial.

Adding an Encrypting and Decrypting routine on every read request to a cartridge / install location would have an interesting hit on performance, especially on a console with limited hardware to begin with (on top of the late implication of this feature).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is a quick firmware update tip for Nintendo.

Push out an update in the next few days, that will prevent users from using L and R in the launcher interface. It will be hilarious.

Then TX can update and change the hijack to LB + up (for example), or just patch the OS to allow it again.

Also I really hate the concept of people buying DRMed CFW. (Full disclosure.)
A better post would be why you have taken stance, i'm not saying it's wright or wrong, just interested why.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The access points (where i assume TX hijacks the requests, and redirect where they need it to) will still have to be there, or the OS / Switch wouldn't be able to use it.
So a simple patch updating the memory address would be almost trivial.

Adding an Encrypting and Decrypting routine on every read request to a cartridge / install location would have an interesting hit on performance, especially on a console with limited hardware to begin with (on top of the late implication of this feature).
I see. Makes sense.

- Then they'd have to be more creative, and map those to idk shut down the device on three consecutive presses (which they would not do), or pop up the gallery or the controller config every time you press them (currently they are unmapped). The point being - they can interfere. And with the right timing - decimate TX's impact. Before even having seen the software at all.

I actually meant it, when I posted it, but now it serves as more of a metapher for "they can mess with things" if they want to. Even before looking at the code.

--

There are other things at play - like "never mess with a gui" ("integrity of look and feel" ) that might stand against that specific thing as well.

But people really wanted to know, if Nintendo could patch this (their OS getting patched by TX "in memory and on the device") going forward - and the correct answer always is, yes - absolutely.

Everyone looking at their concept, sees - that the "compatible with every firmware" slogan will hold up unitil one month after launch max - at which point it will become a back and forth (to randomize memory spaces, write out access points, put processes on blacklists, or in containers... the usual)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Then TX can update and change the hijack to LB + up (for example), or just patch the OS to allow it again.
I've already acknowledged that, but the bigger point is, that once Nintendo gets their hands on the TX'os - they can write out its hooks and turn it in circles. :) Also - changing button combos - every time, would confuse the TX userbase... ;)

Not that this is going to happen - but it would be funny.. ;)

The L+R thing is a good visual image to tell people, that Nintendo can counteract TX OS without even having seen it first. Once they have - it will become a cycle thing of TX OS working and not working with consecutive firmware releases.

Also. Advocacy - not scientific integrity - sometimes is more appropriate.

Last edited by notimp,

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
And what if TX CFW does not rely on the FW stored in the Switch, but rather deliver a full CFW from their dongle ? Then no matter which patches Nintendo deliver, the TX approach would still work. Maybe that's what is implied when they state "Compatible all firmwares". Being able to completely ignore the Switch's OS would be the better solution.

So I think there is too many unknowns to tell whether TX approach is flawed or not. I believe your current views are purely political @notimp.

This is the modchip section. Modchips had private firmwares for years, see for example the Wii with all those modchips using private software.

As for me, I'll believe TX solution will be the superior solution for a time, then an open/software-based solution will supersede it.

Last edited by Shuny,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Modchips have the CFW on a seperate chip. This is on your system.

If this messes up, your Switch is gone. (More so than a modchip causing an electrical short or something.. ;) ) If this is not profitable for them anymore, your switch is stuck, or at leaset worse off, than it started (tripped efuses).

And its on your system, and its proprietary, and its DRMed, and its from a company that can "get sued out of existence" (apparently not, I was told in response - as ""they have good people hiding their home addresses"" (paraphrased) ;) ).

I know the difference between a business model thats dependent on selling you a physical item, on one that sells you a software license - very well. :) There are more differences than similarities.

Last edited by notimp,

Jungle_Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
There are other things at play - like "never mess with a gui" ("integrity of look and feel" ) that might stand against that specific thing as well.

But people really wanted to know, if nintendo could patch this going forward - and the correct answer always is, yes - absolutely.

Everyone looking at their concept, sees - that the "compatible with every firmware" slogan will hold up unitil one month after launch max - at which point it will become a back and forth (to randomize memory spaces, write out access points, put processes on blacklists, or in containers... the usual)

Can Nintendo block / hamper TX in the future, most probably.
Can TX update there CFW, to beat most (never say all) changes Nintendo make, most probably.
Will people get banned for using TX,, but most probably.

This will be added to the eternal Cat & Mouse game, that every Console maker and Anti-DRM maker goes through (see Xbox 360 modded drive firmware maker and MS, Gateway/sky3ds and Nintendo, malicious coders and antivirus \ anti malware companies), its always a constant battle with both sides having times when they are "winning" only for the other side to make changes and improve.

"Everyone looking at their concept, sees - that the "compatible with every firmware" slogan will hold up unitil one month after launch max - at which point it will become a back and forth (to randomize memory spaces, write out access points, put processes on blacklists, or in containers... the usual)"

Exactly

Last edited by Jungle_Jon,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Can TX update there CFW, to beat most (never say all) changes Nintendo make, most probably.
This i disagree with.

Picture the following scenario. They obfuscate an entry point. Then they change obfuscation. Then they release new firmwares every month. TX would be between reverse engineering cycles - and a new update could hit. And a new one, and a new one....

This is only limited by peoples (normal consumers) willingnes to cope with update cycles.

TX' solution - is always dependent on you installing the latest OFW on your system from Nintendo - first. If I am Nintendo, I dont only win the battle, I win the war - in that scenario.

(But corporations may be less agile, yadda, yada.. :) )

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

TX can freely downgrade peoples OFW as long as the fuses dont get set. And if nintendo did this while burning fuses, It wouldn't take long to deplete them.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
TX can freely downgrade peoples OFW as long as the fuses dont get set. And if nintendo did this while burning fuses, It wouldn't take long to deplete them.
Yes, and then no online, no new games, and people in a weird state of limbo - with a Switch with maybe "too many efuses burned for the firmware its on" - which gets supported by whom? Xecuter? (Still dependent on official firmware releases.)

Online is gone. Chance for a softmod only in the future is all but gone, new games are gone, system integrity (nand, efuses) is gone - but TX sold product to people that couldnt wait. Thats the deal, right? :)

TX' should make a vow right now to always support their customers with concerns like this for the next two years. Because people like me as sure as heck wont (on forums like this one.. :) ).

Limited piracy for people that want to get banned and stuck on 5.0.2 for the rest of their lives. (Or for how long TX takes to reverse that next firmware - and then the next. And the next.)

In terms of "number of efuses that can get burned" - what is it? :)

Because if you say N cares about the Switches performance for another 3 years (until used game prices get low enought that piracy is less appealing), thats 36 months - how many efuses do they have left? :)

Last edited by notimp,

CapitanSburro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and then no online, no new games, and people in a weird state of limbo - with a Switch with maybe "too many efuses burned for the firmware its on" - which gets supported by whom? Xecuter? (Still dependent on official firmware releases.)

Online is gone. Chance for a softmod only in the future is all but gone, new games are gone, system integrity (nand, efuses) is gone - but TX sold product to people that couldnt wait. Thats the deal, right? :)

TX' should make a vow right now to always support their customers with concerns like this for the next two years. Because people like me as sure as heck wont (on forums like this one.. :) ).

Limited piracy for people that want to get banned and stuck on 5.0.2 for the rest of their lives. (Or for how long TX takes to reverse that next firmware - and then the next. And the next.)

In terms of "number of efuses that can get burned" - what is it? :)

Because if you say N cares about the Switches performance for another 3 years (until used game prices get low enought that piracy is less appealing), thats 36 months - how many efuses do they have left? :)
Man you don't have the slightest idea of how this whole thing works, rcm, cfw, tx, switch os, nothing, why are you even losing time typing this bs? Go on reddit ffs or come back after you've learned something.

Zangrief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't the TX CFW sit on the SD card the same way Atmosphere will? If the Switch boots with this CFW instead of the official one how can anything Nintendo does to their official firmware have any effect if it's not even being loaded?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@notimp Stop trolling TX threads. You've made it abundantly clear you have a shockingly low comprehension of how CFW even works and you are going around lecturing people about things you know almost nothing about. It's a little embarrassing for you, but mostly mind-numbingly annoying for us.
You could just put him on ignore.

XargonWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am very worried about the hack scene of the swtich because I wish to play safely online at the new pokemon that will come out probably this autumn, and for sure the cart will bring a more updated firmware than 5.0.0.
I wish I could both play the game and still have the CFW without being banned, and no, I will not buy a second switch (I hate redundance xD).

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
I won't quote notimp because it's too big, but what you're talking about is pointless, a new update every month cat and mousing? People will still be able to play every game, look how long it's taken for a cart to land that has 5.0+ on it. By the time you see a cart with the latest OFW that FW has been in the hands of TX for months

XargonWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Y
I won't quote notimp because it's too big, but what you're talking about is pointless, a new update every month cat and mousing? People will still be able to play every game, look how long it's taken for a cart to land that has 5.0+ on it. By the time you see a cart with the latest OFW that FW has been in the hands of TX for months
Yeah but you know, I think that pokemon will be bought by basically more than a half of the switch users, and that will be a great time for big N to purge an important update that may block something regarding the hack scene.
Or at least that's my fear.

Opoth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a feeling that Michael Jackson will be eating a whole lot of popcorn here when the chip drops and Nintendo reacts a few days later

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When they patch out and obfuscate the entrypoints for the hooks TX' uses to get their piracy loader running. :) At which point you'll have a TX' solution, that has your switch only turning on via a dongle - and then no CFW functionality on top of that. No worries - its gonna be great.

The only way nintendo could do that would be to remove game support from the switch. I don't know if you believe what you're saying, or lying for effect.

I don't think anyone believes a word you say any more.

TX "works on all firmwares" is a nice slogan - for about six weeks.

If it requires an update in six weeks then TX will release one, because they would want to continue selling it. Even if they end up patching old versions of the OS to run new games. It wouldn't surprise me at all if SX OS wasn't relevant in six months.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof