Hacking Question Will I be able to keep my switch up to date with Xecuter SX ?

Suyuu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Im thinking about buying an Xecuter SX, but i'd like to know if this method is future-proof or not.
I already know that it support all actual firmwares, but what about the next ones ?

Will Nintendo be able to block this method on the next firmware versions ?
For exemple, if a game comes out with a higher firmware, will I be able to update my switch to play it, or is there any chance that it will block the Xecuter SX ?

If the Xecuter SX only work for the games that have already been released, I clearly don't need it.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, dude, no worries - you will be able to, until at least the next Nintendo firmware update!

When they patch out and obfuscate the entrypoints for the hooks TX' uses to get their piracy loader running. :) At which point you'll have a TX' solution, that has your switch only turning on via a dongle - and then no CFW functionality on top of that. No worries - its gonna be great.

Just please promise, that you dont come to this forum for support then. Thank you. :)

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If certain members here are soooo against the TX product why even bother posting in the "Backup Loaders & Modchips" sub section ? If it's something you're so against then it's quite simple, browse and interact in other sections.... job done... You'll be happier because you don't have to read about things you don't like and those of us that are interested in a positive way in all these things can enjoy the section without childish comments littering the threads -constantly-

Thanks and have a great weekend !

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
To make other members aware of the inherent issues with TX's approach.

I personally am only against the "pre order recommending mob", not against people getting accurate information when they look for it. :)

Also I really hate the concept of people buying DRMed CFW. (Full disclosure.)

Last edited by notimp,

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it can't be patched
Here is a quick firmware update tip for Nintendo.

Push out an update in the next few days, that will prevent users from using L and R in the launcher interface. It will be hilarious.
You're joking right?
This is the dumbest thing I've read all week

Reactions: Kioku

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Why is it dumb?

L and R are highjacked by TX patches in the main launcher screen to cycle through backups. If Nintendo patches their firmware not to register L and R inputs at that screen at all - TX solution is "insta bricked". The changes should be minor enough - so that Nintendo could implement them in an update that goes through cert in about a week.

Timing is important on that one, but this can be done without having seen TXs code at all.

Depending on what code has to be altered to make L and R not register on the launcher screen, this might take their devs a minute, or a day.

Am I mistaken?

People have to learn that they need arguments, when they want to dismiss arguments. Then, some day we even could have a discussion about topics. Imagine that future... Wouldnt it be marvelous?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have an even better idea. :)

For me on 3.0.0 the L and R buttons dont serve an OS function. Depending on when their inputs are highjacked, Nintendo could just have L+R inputs register in frequent succession, making it impossible for the user to select any backup - by choice, but only pseudo randomly. That would be fun as well.

Can also be done, without having seen TXes code at all. (Would be more messy, though - but also considerably more fun.)

The point being, that "compatible with all firmwares" might not even hold as a slogan up to the release date of TX OS.

Neither might their "just update" slogan.

Neither might their concept of "patching whatever firmware is on your device" "on the fly". (Which seem to be TX' core method.)

Last edited by notimp,

RSE97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If i use a payload and use the homebrew launcher for some time. will i be able to boot to ofw again and go online? or wil nintendo see it and ban my console?

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it dumb?

L and R are highjacked by TX patches in the main launcher screen to cycle through backups. If Nintendo patches their firmware not to register L and R inputs at that screen at all - TX solution is "insta bricked". The changes should be minor enough - so that Nintendo could implement them in an update that goes through cert in about a week.

Timing is important on that one, but this can be done without having seen TXs code at all.

Depending on what code has to be altered to make L and R not register on the launcher screen, this might take their devs a minute, or a day.

Am I mistaken?

People have to learn that they need arguments, when they want to dismiss arguments. Then, some day we even could have a discussion about topics. Imagine that future... Wouldnt it be marvelous?

I imagine they could just change the button combo. Like holding Y+B and using left or right to cycle games. Like how you can change the luma osd menu button combo on 3ds. So your idea would only work if Nintendo disabled all controller inputs on launcher and only allowed touch screen controls. (even then, would probably be a work around using multi touch or some shit)
Not that it would happen though, that would just be ludicrous and prevent play in docked mode.

Changing the button combo to cycle games sounds as simple as just releasing an update to the os/payload that makes said change.

Last edited by Rasa39,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It (the Nintendo firmware on the Switch thats then patched to "create" TX OS.) can absolutely be patched by Nintendo - but Rasa39 is also right, that for example the L+R thing could be changed in response.

That would then be, what I would describe as an "open conlict" between Nintendo and TX. :)

At its core its really, really simple. Nintendo can break TX OS fuctioning with their next firmware release. At witch point, you won't want to update anymore.

They even could do it - before TX OS even hits most end consumers (those who dont update at that moment- would still be able to use it).

TX "works on all firmwares" is a nice slogan - for about six weeks.

You have to think in core principals here.

Are "online" and "piracy" environments separated (By design, not by people entering Airplay mode)? No.
Does TX have an "independent" - from Nintendo - update channel? No.
Are their modifications detectable by Nintendo, if people go online with them? Yes.
Can you downgrade to a place you have been "before TX OS"? No. (efuses burnt) (edit: Meaning lower firmware. You probably could remove all TX traces - and stay on the current OFW though.)

Will this be acceptable to most people? Probably yes - if Nintendo takes their time to respond - but definitely no, if responses are swift.

So thats the "timing matters" thing.

TX' position at the moment is "bans will always happen", "people probably will be able to update using the games", "online doesn't matter to them", and "they will stay on the latest firmware version we can patch".

Emunand would be a solution with two separate "systems" on one Switch thats not what TX is pushing.

Most of how well people will be able to cope with it, depends on Nintendos reaction. If they do nothing - everyone can celebrate, if they choose to release a new firmware three days before the shipments hit - TX will have a PR disaster. (They are selling you patches which then might not work anymore - "on the most current" firmware.)

Last edited by notimp,

Suyuu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It (the Nintendo firmware on the Switch thats then patched to "create" TX OS.) can absolutely be patched by Nintendo - but Rasa39 is also right, that for example the L+R thing could be changed in response.

That would then be, what I would describe as an "open conlict" between Nintendo and TX. :)

At its core its really, really simple. Nintendo can break TX OS fuctioning with their next firmware release. At witch point, you won't want to update anymore.

They even could do it - before TX OS even hits most end consumers (those who dont update at that moment- would still be able to use it).

TX "works on all firmwares" is a nice slogan - for about six weeks.

You have to think in core principals here.

Are "online" and "piracy" environments separated (By design, not by people entering Airplay mode)? No.
Does TX have an "independent" - from Nintendo - update channel? No.
Are their modifications detectable by Nintendo, if people go online with them? Yes.
Can you downgrade to a place you have been "before TX OS"? No. (efuses burnt) (edit: Meaning lower firmware. You probably could remove all TX traces - and stay on the current OFW though.)

Will this be acceptable to most people? Probably yes - if Nintendo takes their time to respond - but definitely no, if responses are swift.

So thats the "timing matters" thing.

TX' position at the moment is "bans will always happen", "people probably will be able to update using the games", "online doesn't matter to them", and "they will stay on the latest firmware version we can patch".

Emunand would be a solution with two separate "systems" on one Switch thats not what TX is pushing.

Most of how well people will be able to cope with it, depends on Nintendos reaction. If they do nothing - everyone can celebrate, if they choose to release a new firmware three days before the shipments hit - TX will have a PR disaster. (They are selling you patches which then might not work anymore - "on the most current" firmware.)

Thank you, that's the kind of answer i was looking for.

I'll wait and see how Nintendo react before buying a TX.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Even tho TX hardware works on all firmwares, and uses an hardware bootrom fault.

It is always wise to wait when there is firmware update, for reports and checks. Not to be first on trigger to update, but look at forums, see what others are saying, or an official statement on TX site, then update.

Same as ps4savewizard people, they always tweet when there is update if their app still works or not.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Herp derp firmware gets updated then you wait for cfw to get updated, that's the way it always is and it's not some big deal like notimp makes out.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
<- Still waiting on Gateway support for 11.6 EmuNAND. And yes, you can flame me for still using Gateway despite Luma and B9S being things.
Yeah sucks, but they did support it for years, even after people must have mostly stopped buying it because of the free options. I bought it when they released 2.0 with the multirom support, and was more than happy with the length of support it got, well past when I moved on to other options that better suited me. Great value for money.
In comparison, our friendly local notimp was talking about a brand new product.

Last edited by hippy dave,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey