Homebrew Will GBA emulators ever fully work?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Even more so now on N3DS, CitrAGB as a .CIA can leverage the N3DS-enhanced flags in addition to dynrec, and actually runs at full speed even in OAM-heavy games. The same changes can probably be backported to Retroarch too.
I think the merit of the topic is to know if there will be emulator for smealum's hacks on 9.3 and above to run games on full speed. CIAs files are limited to 9.2 and lower system menus at this moment.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It could be that I'm confusing sub-par game development with performance. Cause all of the games you listed suck ass. And iron fall, I've seen better games on my phone.

If the 3ds is so much more powerful, they don't know how to use it.
Can you explain how Ironfall and Monster Hunter(of all games) suck ass? Because I'm speaking on a technical level, not a gameplay level(though the trolling is plain as day if you are asserting that Monster hunter "sucks ass"). Many top dog AAA phone games with an ounce of real effort put into them will look better than Vita let alone 3DS. It should go without saying that phones are usually more powerful than half a decade old handhelds.

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually it does seem to work in every case (at least what I e seen so far), I have about 80 injected GBA VC titles working on my 3DS all at full speed and zero issues. Perhaps there do exist compatibility issues, but I've encountered none of that with all my favorite GBA games and even some Pokemon rom hacks as well. I'd highly recommend GBA VC injects to anyone wanting GBA games on their 3DS. it would be nice to have save states, cheats, and fast forward/rewind, but none of those features are pressing needs for me. I'm just grateful we have full speed playback for all the greatest GBA titles if you are fortunate enough to be able to install .cia files
are we able to backup GBA VC save files and edit them? In that case for rpgs I can just edit my saves on the pc in vba, or other editors and then import it to GBA VC. If not then this is a shit option from my perspective.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
are we able to backup GBA VC save files and edit them? In that case for rpgs I can just edit my saves on the pc in vba, or other editors and then import it to GBA VC. If not then this is a shit option from my perspective.
Cause you can't cheat? Give me a break.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a hell of a lot of cool stuff you can do with save/memory editing.

Mostly cheat. When I was young I used to thinking cheating in games was awesome, I was the first I knew to have all 151 Pokemon in Pokemon Red. But as I grew older "accomplishments" like that felt disingenuous and like a lie. Closest I come to cheating these days is that NTR plugin for the current 3DS Pokemon that makes sure every wild Pokemon you run into is one that you haven't yet caught. For a GBA title, such a plugin doesn't exist, but a hacked Pokemon rom may run in such a way, in which case they can be injected into a GBA VC title and play flawlessly on the 3DS. If GBA cheating is a big deal for you, you may be out of luck, but frankly it makes no difference to me. If an available GBA emulator on the 3DS offers cheating, but is still a long way off from full speed emulation, then I'll take GBA VC injects any day over the emulation any day.

Reactions: WeedZ

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people use it to cheat, but I've used it for some crazy stuff. Debug modes are fun to play with, AR conditionals allow for some surprisingly complex patching, and gimmick runs can be based off something fairly simple.

If you want the game pretty untouched, yeah, VC injects are your thing and you shouldn't even care about GBA emulation beyond that. I'm not going to bother with it until it's significantly more advanced but I like watching it develop.

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause you can't cheat? Give me a break.
it's for the fun and convenience of being able to back up and edit save files . Hopefully someone will figure out and release a method to extract/backup/edit saves from GBA VC soon enough so we can do it and this does become an acceptable alternative to playing on an emulator or playing a gba itself.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When I think of 'acceptable' emulation, I think in terms of framerate, controls and rendering. Cheating, save editing, filters, these are extras. To say that a method for playing a game is unacceptable because you can't cheat is rediculous in my opinion. VC injection is by far the best method for playing gba roms on 3ds, and will be for a long time. If you really need to cheat in order to enjoy these games, maybe you should look into ram editing vc games with spider/skater.

Edit, also, if I'm not mistaken, some gba roms were hacked to include a custom intro that was essentially a trainer. Perhaps injecting these instead of a clean rom.

Last edited by WeedZ,

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NDS exists. Sudokuhax. The only problem is that it intentionally corrupts the decryption keys. They did that to prevent piracy.
Which is BS if you ask me. DS is dead and DSis with Sudokuhax are a pathetic amount. What was the harm by including the possibility to add a rom loader? It's not like you can't use a supercardTWO on a DSi anyway, but you'd finally give that SD card some usefulness. I'm against piracy that can still turn some profit, but this is bs. The 3ds will never have a ds VC anyway because it'd need to load it in DSi mode and you can't play DSi games from a SD card but rather from the pathetic 256mb internal memory. Not even my dick can fit in there.

Reactions: Margen67 and WeedZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is BS if you ask me. DS is dead and DSis with Sudokuhax are a pathetic amount. What was the harm by including the possibility to add a rom loader? It's not like you can't use a supercardTWO on a DSi anyway, but you'd finally give that SD card some usefulness. I'm against piracy that can still turn some profit, but this is bs. The 3ds will never have a ds VC anyway because it'd need to load it in DSi mode and you can't play DSi games from a SD card but rather from the pathetic 256mb internal memory. Not even my dick can fit in there.
If we fix the keys we could.

Reactions: Margen67 and WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
My view of piracy is the same as any other topic related to ethics. No one has the right to assume moral athority and impose their own opinion on the actions of other people.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep