Hacking Will a 1-2 TB External Hard Drive for games cause any slowdown or lag?

hiryuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed slightly longer load times for some games, however, I've not noticed any in-game lag on my PSTV [ENSO 3.65+] using a 1TB 7200RPM drive. Just make sure it has its own power source. Single USB hard drives will not power up without a second source (Y USB cable with the other end plugged into a wall adapter/computer/other USB power source; wall outlet.)

I am having a small issue with incorrect freespace showing up, though. This may be an exFAT issue, though.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed slightly longer load times for some games, however, I've not noticed any in-game lag on my PSTV [ENSO 3.65+] using a 1TB 7200RPM drive. Just make sure it has its own power source. Single USB hard drives will not power up without a second source (Y USB cable with the other end plugged into a wall adapter/computer/other USB power source; wall outlet.)

I am having a small issue with incorrect freespace showing up, though. This may be an exFAT issue, though.

Wrong, I am able to power mine with a Single USB 3.0 Micro cable, it is more on how much Ampheres the HDD needs, I use a 0.55A HDD and it works fine.

hiryuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong, I am able to power mine with a Single USB 3.0 Micro cable, it is more on how much Ampheres the HDD needs, I use a 0.55A HDD and it works fine.

While that can be true, most of the hard drives on the market pull more than a single ampere. Out of the ten drives I've tested, the only one to work with a single plug was a 2.5" SSD. I chose not to use it since it was only a 250 GB drive as opposed to a 1TB HDD.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While that can be true, most of the hard drives on the market pull more than a single ampere. Out of the ten drives I've tested, the only one to work with a single plug was a 2.5" SSD. I chose not to use it since it was only a 250 GB drive as opposed to a 1TB HDD.

Well I got lucky, was able to get a 640GB drive to run with my PS TV without any Y USB cable or USB HDD, I tried drives that Amp rating was like 0.85 and they wouldn't work, I think the limit is around 0.5Amp.

Reactions: hiryuu

hiryuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got lucky, was able to get a 640GB drive to run with my PS TV without any Y USB cable or USB HDD, I tried drives that Amp rating was like 0.85 and they wouldn't work, I think the limit is around 0.5Amp.

Nice! I wish I could say the same. it's a bit inconvenient when I want to move the system from my desk to a TV. Either way, thanks for letting me know that there are larger drives out there that will work! I'll have to research what I can upgrade to with a single plug :)

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.