Hacking Will 3ds flashcarts be updated to run 3ds games?

kevtastic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Specifically the DSTWO, i was going to get it for the 3ds, but noticed it onlt plays ds games. will it eventually be able to play 3ds games? preferably without a hardware upgrade.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kevtastic said:
Specifically the DSTWO, i was going to get it for the 3ds, but noticed it onlt plays ds games. will it eventually be able to play 3ds games? preferably without a hardware upgrade.

Please excuse my bluntness, but...

How the hell are we supposed to know?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
kevtastic said:

Please excuse my bluntness, but...

How the hell are we supposed to know?
Because the hardware doesn't support it, that's how we know.

NO.

Amrulez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to guess I would think not. This is really a whole new system. This isn't just a revision of the same hardware. Though I guess the same could be said somewhat about the DSi as compared to the DS Lite though not really lol.

Think about it, I am sure the cart manufacturers would love to sell you a new cart so they can make a ton of money instead of continuing to software update stuff they already sold you.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a guess but most likely you will have to buy a new type of flash cart, just like how you cannot play gba games with an nds cart (without emulation) on ds lite/phat or how you cannot play GBC games with a gba cart on the gba (again without emulation).

Although the nds card is very similar in size to 3ds, except for that extra tab that prevents you from using it in nds systems there are probably big differences in the carts so I don't imagine how they can trick the 3ds by using a nds cart.

Again I am just guessing so I could be wrong but it does seem logical.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
3DS carts are close enough to DS carts that tools to backup their saves can be used (with modification) to get 3DS saves.

As for being able to play the ROMs, my personal guess is a no, based on one important factor... bandwidth. It's known the slot-1 bandwidth for the DS is low, that's why some DS games have loading times even though they're on carts, and why the DSTwo's emulators have some slight delay. If the DS only needs a specific bandwidth, it's unlikely that flash carts will be made well above these specs. I'm fully willing to bet that the bandwidth needed for 3DS carts is higher, given the... well... improvement of damn-near everything.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even if it's possible, why would flash cart teams update an old product they could release a new flash cart and make a lot of money from it?

Bearpowers

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if they could in theory, most would rather make and sell a new card then give you a free software update.

So I would count on needing a new cart.

EDIT:

Plus 3DS games will go up to 8GB a piece eventually.

We're gonna want SDXC support which would require a new cart

32gb of storage won't be much

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DeMoN said:
Even if it's possible, why would flash cart teams update an old product they could release a new flash cart and make a lot of money from it?
Reputation plays a big part in sales. So if I have a flashcart that doesn't work with the new hardware I will buy a new one, from whatever manufacturer that has something good and/or cheap out and some percentage of the people will get this new product. But if a team supports its old hardware, people who already have it will still use theirs and keep recommending it to more people, making the brand more well-known and increasing sales while keeping previous customers happy.
It's like those R4 carts for DSi that weren't updatable for DSi firmware updates (or simply didn't get one). Sure, the manufacturer of those R4 carts wanted to sell a new model with the new firmware, but updateable carts just had the better reputation for being future proof and well-supported.
Look how long people had been waiting for a new cart from Team Cyclops, just because they knew they keep supporting their cart well, adding new features etc.

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
i think maybe, like how gba linkers worked with nds roms
i had a supercard sd but as soon as a proper nds card (r4) came out i upgraded

Yeah o.o... but who knows, accessing 3DS mode from DS mode seems a bit difficult to me. And previous posters are right, flashcart teams will make a new product to make more money x3

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This may be the case for most flashcarts, but don't forget the SCDS2 has on onboard CPU. Instead of just passively sending data to the unit, it might be able to fake how a real 3DS card would behave. However, this would require knowledge of 3DS ROMs data structure, something we seriously lack.

Devil_Spawn

Trophies
XP
Country
dont forget, my good old supercard SD could run DS games - it isn't impossible, but will probably take quite-some-time, if at all.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naridar said:
This may be the case for most flashcarts, but don't forget the SCDS2 has on onboard CPU. Instead of just passively sending data to the unit, it might be able to fake how a real 3DS card would behave. However, this would require knowledge of 3DS ROMs data structure, something we seriously lack.

And how does having a CPU on the cartridge improve bandwidth between the cart and the console? We can be almost assured that there IS an increase in bandwidth simply because of the vast amount of additional storage in the carts, and the vast increase in system RAM... If you only have 4MB of ram to fill, you don't need your cart reads to be more than a couple of megs a second... With 128MB you'd want significantly faster... else your games would all have very noticeable load times.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking no, If it could be done then i'd try baby steps to see how the hardware would fare in each aspect of the 3DS's emulation, like the 3D, Gyro sensor, home menu support, and everything it can't already emulate in this mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...