Hacking WiiU Virtual Console finally fixed! [No More dark filter, and widescreen support!]

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the Wii U though

It's on OP
… I already read the OP and many others, I know this is a Wii U thread. Is there a tutorial for people that are not used to doing this kind of things (the hacking scene in general) so I can have my Virtual Console games without the dark filter on Wii U? I only have Haxchi installed.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Waveracer,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
… I already read the OP and many others, I know this is a Wii U thread although some people are using this method for PC.

So I repeat my question to whoever may be helpful, is there a tutorial for people that are not used to doing this kind of things (the hacking scene in general) so I can have my Virtual Console games without the dark filter on Wii U? I only have Haxchi installed.

Thank you everyone.

Not that I know of, sorry. Maybe ask @ShadowOne333

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I know of, sorry. Maybe ask @ShadowOne333

Do I need to get the N64 ROMs, the eShop downloads or what? What do I do with them? What are the steps if you know? Thanks. I really hate the dark filter.

@ShadowOne333

The OP says to use Wexos's Toolbox but it doesn't explain the process. Please help anyone! :)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There should be a FrameLayout.arc file floating around in this thread.
One should be with the filter removed, and the other should be filter removed + full screen (16;:9)

I haven't found it yet, but it should be in this thread.

Reactions: Waveracer

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So FrameLayout.arc file must be replaced with an equivalent one that has been edited to remove the dark filter. I get that. I get that some people are changing other things like resolution and aspect ratio or using hacked ROMs. All that is awesome but I can't find where the original .arc files are to begin with. I have games installed on Wii U (NAND and USB), some installed from the eShop and some installed using WUP Installer GX2 and I also downloaded some games on the PC using USBHelperLauncher. I can't access the .arc files. :S

EDIT: Thank you very much @ShadowOne333 for all your help. I hope to get this working.

EDIT 2: Something weird happens. After I replace the FrameLayout.arc on the Wii U after launching the game the scale value goes back to 1;1, so the dark filter is activated again.

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested this out with Mario Kart 64 (Purchased) and Super Smash Brothers (Injected w/ FZero) and they both seem to be working fine! Widescreen patch for MK64 works perfectly after clearing my save state. I've been having a hard time trying to sort out a widescreen solution for SSB. Gameshark widescreen codes exist, as does a xdelta patch packaged with 19XX (recently updated), but I can't figure out how to manually patch or edit the xdelta file.

19XX 1.0 Beta works with the WiiU N64 emulator if anybody was curious, but I'm having a hard time telling if the widescreen code is working.

https://github.com/jordanbarkley/19XX (last updated 9 days ago)

Code:
// @ Description
// The following code enables Widescreen [Danny_SsB]. I have no iddea how it works
OS.patch_start(0x000AA37C, 0x00000000)
dw 0x3FEF311A
OS.patch_end()
OS.patch_start(0x00051C80, 0x00000000)
dw 0x3FEF311A
OS.patch_end()
OS.patch_start(0x000891B4, 0x8010D9B4)
// nop
OS.patch_end()

Any ideas?

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
All that is awesome but I can't find where the original .arc files are to begin with
Use ftpiiu everywhere to browse to /storage_mlc/ (for NAND) or /storage_usb/ (for USB) and go to /usr/title/ and the TitleID for the VC game (http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database) then to content and there is the ARC file. Download it and open it through Wexos Toolbox and follow the instructions on the first page.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use ftpiiu everywhere to browse to /storage_mlc/ (for NAND) or /storage_usb/ (for USB) and go to /usr/title/ and the TitleID for the VC game (http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database) then to content and there is the ARC file. Download it and open it through Wexos Toolbox and follow the instructions on the first page.
Thanks but I have done it already, finally. It took me a long while to figure the whole process out!! I made a step-by-step tutorial. It's here. Thanks to ShadowOne333 once again for explaining a few basic concepts to me!

Reactions: jacobsson

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tested this out with Mario Kart 64 (Purchased) and Super Smash Brothers (Injected w/ FZero) and they both seem to be working fine! Widescreen patch for MK64 works perfectly after clearing my save state. I've been having a hard time trying to sort out a widescreen solution for SSB. Gameshark widescreen codes exist, as does a xdelta patch packaged with 19XX (recently updated), but I can't figure out how to manually patch or edit the xdelta file.

19XX 1.0 Beta works with the WiiU N64 emulator if anybody was curious, but I'm having a hard time telling if the widescreen code is working.

https://github.com/jordanbarkley/19XX (last updated 9 days ago)

Code:
// @ Description
// The following code enables Widescreen [Danny_SsB]. I have no iddea how it works
OS.patch_start(0x000AA37C, 0x00000000)
dw 0x3FEF311A
OS.patch_end()
OS.patch_start(0x00051C80, 0x00000000)
dw 0x3FEF311A
OS.patch_end()
OS.patch_start(0x000891B4, 0x8010D9B4)
// nop
OS.patch_end()

Any ideas?
Is the old save file the reason why Mario Kart 64 map and karts icons are misplaced on the hacked rom? The only games I managed to install with proportioned widescreen video are (hacked) Ocarina of Time and (hacked) Mario Kart 64, but haven't found a hacked Majora's Mask rom that works. The Majora's Mask HD widescreen hacked rom is for PC only, right? What games have a hacked rom that be installed on Wii U?

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done it, finally. It took me a long while to figure the whole process out!! I made a step-by-step tutorial. It's here. Thanks to you and to ShadowOne333 again for explaining a few basic concepts to me!

For non-official N64 injects not currently installed on the system, I would imagine a less intimidating approach would be going through the udated Injectiine script with an FZero base.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-console-injector.491386/page-15#post-8319665

Using the original Injectiine, stop right before the repackage step. The script pauses to allow testing the inject in Loadiine. In this unpacked state, you can modify the FrameLayout.arc (or replace the FrameLayout.arc with the one floating around in this thread), test it in Loadiine, and then allow the script to repackage it for install.

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For non-official N64 injects not currently installed on the system, I would imagine a less intimidating approach would be going through the udated Injectiine script with an FZero base.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-console-injector.491386/page-15#post-8319665

Using the original Injectiine, stop right before the repackage step. The script pauses to allow testing the inject in Loadiine. In this unpacked state, you can modify the FrameLayout.arc (or replace the FrameLayout.arc with the one floating around in this thread), test it in Loadiine, and then allow the script to repackage it for install.
I haven't used Loadiine yet so I will have a look and try.

Reactions: JacobM

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the old save file the reason why Mario Kart 64 map and karts icons are misplaced on the hacked rom? The only games I managed to install with proportioned widescreen video are (hacked) Ocarina of Time and (hacked) Mario Kart 64, but haven't found a hacked Majora's Mask rom that works. The Majora's Mask HD widescreen hacked rom is for PC only, right? What games have a hacked rom that be installed on Wii U?

I am not sure what you mean by misplaced? Could you elaborate on where the glitch appears? Here are some images I snapped last night.

16:9

n2nktCyg.jpg

Widescreen Patch + 16:9

hsDmoTRg.jpg

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you pay attention to this screenshot the map and kart icons are misplaced.
jf7jgjJ
I don't have a save with mirror mode unlocked (only on my actual N64 cart). Non mirror DK map/karts are correct. If you have a mirror mode unlock upload it here and I can test!

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Let me check non-mirror as well then. How do you post a screenshot uploaded on imgbb.com?
I don't have a save with mirror mode unlocked (only on my actual N64 cart). Non mirror DK map/karts are correct. If you have a mirror mode unlock upload it here and I can test!

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me check non-mirror as well then. How do you post a screenshot uploaded on imgbb.com?

Just tested 1, 2, 3, 4 player on 50 and 150cc DK and there are no issues with the map or markers.

To add an image, click the button with a picture of a sun and mountains in the editor toolbar when writing a post. The tag is probably [ IMG ]

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What link do I use though, Viewer, HTML or BBCode? I think that you could see the screenshot somehow. Yes, normal modes are fine, I just checked so the only problem is with the map and icons in mirror (Extra) mode. I can extract save file and send it to you, do I use SaveMii?

JacobM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What link do I use though, Viewer, HTML or BBCode? I think that you could see the screenshot somehow. Yes, normal modes are fine, I just checked so the only problem is with the map and icons in mirror (Extra) mode. I can extract save file and send it to you, do I use SaveMii?

Whatever ends in .jpg, .png, etc.
I saw your screenshot. We will likely have the same mirror mode glitch, but you can send me a save to try! SaveMii or FTP should work. Personally, if that is the only glitch with this widescreen hack, I'm perfectly fine with it!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whatever ends in .jpg, .png, etc.
I saw your screenshot. We will likely have the same mirror mode glitch, but you can send me a save to try! SaveMii or FTP should work. Personally, if that is the only glitch with this widescreen hack, I'm perfectly fine with it!

EDIT: For MK, are you using the original emulator revision or did you bundle it with the FZERO revision?
EDIT2: Got 19XX .11 widescreen working! Hopefully, I can figure it out for an unmodified rom!

Last edited by JacobM,

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@JacobM, Yes, I don't care much about that glitch but I posted it because of your save file issue wondering if it was the same thing. I am not sure how this was made because Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 installable files are the only ones that I didn't create because I don't know how to hack or patch ROMs, for the others I used the original Virtual Console releases so I could not add proportioned wide-screen support, just remove the dark filter and increase the scale. Did you make the MK64 hack? If so how did you do it? The game is nicer and better to play in 16:9. What is 19XX.11?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl: +1