WiiU Homebrew Development

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by deformyer, Jun 18, 2015.

Jun 18, 2015

WiiU Homebrew Development by deformyer at 10:47 AM (120,890 Views / 24 Likes) 272 replies

1. deformyer
    OP

Newcomer deformyer Advanced Member

Belgium
    I did NOT create the exploits/homebrew described in this post; please thank MarioNumber1, Hykem, and the other contributors. If you find any mistakes, please let me know.

This post contains info about the wii u webkit/kernel exploits and how to run/compile them. For more practical guides, check out Summersett's guides.

WiiU homebrew situation
    Updated on June 19th 2016

Wii U security has been compromised and homebrew exists. Homebrew development is still in earlier stage, so there aren't a lot of apps yet.
    A homebrew launcher has been released by Dimok.
    The homebrew launcher is not permanently installed to your system, you need to run it again every time you shutdown your console. Once launched, you can always return to the homebrew launcher by launching the MiiMaker application.

WiiU exploits

Before the homebrew launcher release, the developers had to merge and encapsulate their homebrew binary inside different exploitable binaries.
    This is not needed anymore as the homebrew launcher is granting access to user and kernel space to most commonly used WiiU version.

For historical reasons, and to be able to compile old homebrew, this section is kept on this guide:
    WiiU exploit list

Preliminary steps
    Before launching homebrew, be sure to prevent the console from updating to newer firmware version.
    1) Block the Nintendo Update Server (NUS). There are different methods you can use:
    • Block URL manually from your router
      List of urls to block
    • Block URLs using OpenDNS (NOT RECOMMENDED - UNEFFECTIVE)
    • Block URLs using a proxy (You need your computer powered)
    • Block URLs using TubeHax DNS (Recommended). Set DNS manually to 107.211.140.065
    2) Disable quick launch features which silently install updates while the console is in standby mode.

Compiling homebrew

Windows/Linux/MacOS
    1: install prerequisites
    • Install Devkitpro with libogc, devkitPPC and devkitARM.
      You will have to get additional libraries used by a lot of homebrew (the portlibs) from here : https://github.com/dimok789/homebrew_launcher/releases/tag/v1.0
      Download both the "libogc" and "portlibs" packages and extract them to your devkitpro folder, replacing any existing files.

Optional, some homebrew (mainly old ones) might need this :
    • Python 2.x
    • libwiiu sources from https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu, Extract to a folder.
    On Windows : You do not need cygwin on Windows, just open a command line windows with "start button > run > cmd" or "shift+right click in a folder">open a command line here.

2: Create or clone a project
    Note: Old homebrew required that the project was created as a sub-folder of your libwiiu path. If you are creating a new project or cloning a recent homebrew, you can place its folder anywhere on your computer.
    • Clone a project or create your new homebrew project into the libwiiu folder

3: Build your homebrew.
    • Browse to the makefile location in a command line window and type "make".

Old homebrew might require you to merge the compiled homebrew binary inside an exploit binary. To do this, you need to use Libwiiu package and the provided Python script.
    Since the release of the Homebrew Launcher, you don't need to merge your homebrew inside one of the existing exploit's binary anymore!
    The homebrew launcher is already patching both the user and kernel space and grant these access to all launched homebrew.

If you develop a homebrew, you only need to compile it to an executable format (.elf) and launch if from the homebrew launcher, like you used to do on the Wii.
    If you really need to inject your homebrew into an exploitable binary (for example to bypass the homebrew launcher completely, or if you are compiling the homebrew launcher itself), look into this spoiler:
    Injecting your homebrew into an exploitable format

Launching homebrew

there are two different methods to launch homebrew : homebrew launcher, or the old "individual homebrew injected into an exploit".
    Most homebrew has been updated to use the homebrew launcher method, but this section will detail both method for historical reason.

1) The homebrew launcher method :
    If your homebrew is an executable (.elf) then you only need to copy the homebrew to your SD card and launch it with the homebrew launcher.
    - copy the homebrew in sd:/wiiu/apps/<name of your homebrew>/<filename>.elf
    - optionally, copy the homebrew's meta.xml and icon.png in the same folder.
    - install the homebrew launcher from the web browser, and select your homebrew to launch.

2) the old method, individual homebrew merged with an exploit.
    details inside

Existing homebrew
    You can find a list of released homebrew on our wiki.
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_homebrew

F.A.Q.

• Is my warranty void if I use this?
      As the exploit doesn't permanently change anything, your warranty is completely fine.
    • When will we get IOSU acces?
      soon™, hykem/plutoo is working on it, stop complaining to them please
    • Is there a firmware spoofer?
      Yes
    • Should I update?
      NO. If you don't have to update, don't.
    If you have a relevant question that isn't answered here or in the other stickies, feel free to ask.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 20, 2016 - Reason: little typo

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Thank you.
    Maybe we could make this thread the main WiiU Homebrew development thread, like we have on 3DS homebrew section.

The other wiiU hacking thread is for the hack development discussion, it's old and have a lot of old informations, not only related to homebrew development.
    Having a specific place where developers could share homebrew and ask for help to develop their own homebrew is a good idea to me.

I thought creating such a thread would be a good idea, but we needed someone to create a tutorial on first post, and you did !
    I'll rename your thread, if you don't mind, and put it in sticky.

Maximilious and EclipseSin like this.
  3. deformyer
    OP

Belgium
    @Cyan Go ahead, I'm happy I could help ;)

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I renamed it to match the one in 3DS section.
    I hope developers will move to it instead of the old hacking discussion thread, having a fresh new place will be easier to find development information.
    The hacking discussion thread is still useful to discuss and improve the exploits. they have two different purposes.

I hope you'll have time to maintain the first post, it will certainly have new releases, different compilation steps, etc.
    add links to tools you think are useful to create homebrew for wiiU.

Edit:

Here one useful link:
    existing libraries which can be used in homebrew:
    http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Cafe_OS#Libraries

5. VinsCool

Member VinsCool Figuring How Dreams and Reality Overlap

Canada
    thank you! this is an excellent tutorial to build and put online our own stuff! :)

my WiiU is ready to crash :P

6. BullyWiiPlaza

Member BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Germany
    Nope. I tried it on Linux and Windows but nothing worked. Also Mr. smartass tutorial writer should have known that
    is a syntax error since there's a space in the url. The url should be surrounded by parentheses. Also good job on cluttering my Desktop with useless devkitPro files during installation and not cleaning them off or avoiding it to happen in the first place.
    Awesome, who thought that putting that into 100 different Makefiles (yes, that's how you spell it and not "makeFile") just to edit it out again anyway was a good idea?
    Great job, that's basically what they say on their github page but you failed to notice that only Python 2.7 installs the python command to the PATH which you tell people to use for building so 3.x would say that
    Code:
    python
    is not a recognized command.

On Cygwin:
    Code:
    $ python build.py examples/helloworld
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/framework/bin
    # Build findcode
    powerpc-eabi-gcc -nostdinc -fno-builtin -c -DVER=532+ C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/framework/src/findcode532.c
    cc1: warning: '-mcpu=' is deprecated; use '-mtune=' or '-march=' instead [enabled by default]
    C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/framework/src/findcode532.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #define OSFatal ((void (*)(char* msg))0x1031368)
    ^
    make: *** [findcode532] Error 1
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/bin/532/
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/bin/500/
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/bin/410/
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/bin/400/
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/bin/300/
    powerpc-eabi-gcc -nostdinc -fno-builtin -c -DVER=532  C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/src/*.c
    cc1: warning: '-mcpu=' is deprecated; use '-mtune=' or '-march=' instead [enabled by default]
    C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/src/draw.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #include "draw.h"
    ^
    C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/src/math.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #include "math.h"
    ^
    C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/src/string.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #include "string.h"
    ^
    C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/libwiiu/src/uhs.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #include "coreinit.h"
    ^
    make: *** [libwiiu532] Error 1
    mkdir -p C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwiiu-master/examples/helloworld/bin/
    powerpc-eabi-gcc -nostdinc -fno-builtin -c -DVER=532 src/*.c
    src/loader.c:1:0: error: bad value (750) for -mtune= switch
    #include "loader.h"
    ^
    make: *** [main532] Error 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Users\Bully\Desktop\libwiiu-master\framework\generate_html.py", line 148, in <module>
        main()
      File "C:\Users\Bully\Desktop\libwiiu-master\framework\generate_html.py", line 56, in main
        findcode = open('{0}/bin/findcode{1}.bin'.format(path,ver), 'rb').read()
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwiiu-master\\framework/bin/findcode532.bin'
      File "C:\Users\Bully\Desktop\libwiiu-master\framework\generate_html.py", line 148, in <module>
        main()
      File "C:\Users\Bully\Desktop\libwiiu-master\framework\generate_html.py", line 56, in main
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwiiu-master\\framework/bin/findcode500.bin'
        main()
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwiiu-master\\framework/bin/findcode410.bin'
        main()
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwiiu-master\\framework/bin/findcode400.bin'
        main()
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwiiu-master\\framework/bin/findcode300.bin'
    Building for your windows platform...
    Hmm, I'm wondering why there are so many errors just by trying to compile while having installed everything like described?

Damn MathewWi, you genius. Now it's all clear! *sarcasm*
    [​IMG]

I might have forgotten something but yeah, that's it for now. Some people suck and that's not me apparently. :mellow: Please fix your stuff. I wasted like 2 hours just to figure that it's messed up and won't work.

/rant

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, Jun 18, 2015
    DarkFlare69 likes this.
  7. dauphin327

Member dauphin327 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Replace {0} with your directory path in findcode = open('{0}/bin/findcode{1}.bin'.format(path,ver), 'rb').read(), it cannot find findcode300 because your trails are wrong some are \\ others / in "C:\\Users\\Bully\\Desktop\\libwi-master\\framework/bin/findcode300.bin"

8. BullyWiiPlaza

Germany
    That's not due to my input but due to their script:
    Code:
    frameworkDir=os.path.join(rootDir,"framework")
    # ...
    code532 = os.path.join(projectDir, 'bin', 'code') + str(532) + '.bin'
    In which file am I supposed to replace what?

9. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Wow this is really impressive.

10. dauphin327

Member dauphin327 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu/...0f2337a986a851a0ae/framework/generate_html.py

Change line 56, replace {0} by C:/Users/Bully/Desktop/libwi-master/framework

else if it doesnt work change the line to the following: findcode = open('{0}\\bin\\findcode{1}.bin'.format(path,ver), 'rb').read()

you may have to change all the trails below it to \\ instead of / too since you're on windows.

11. BullyWiiPlaza

Germany
    Okay but it doesn't work either and it's too messy anyway. I will stop here.

12. Dr.Hacknik

Member Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | Furry Lewd Cat Gril

United States
    Quit impressive! Sadely im on 5.4.0

13. Marionumber1

Member Marionumber1 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If people have problems, they can file issues on Github rather than complaining in a forum thread, which I'll probably forget soon.

14. FaTaL_ErRoR

Member FaTaL_ErRoR AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ

United States
    If you are having such a hard time compiling then maybe it's best you leave this for people that actually know what they are doing.

DarkFlare69 and RichKK like this.
  15. TheZander

Member TheZander Keeping It Real

United States
    it's pretty convenient that it makes the payload for each fw version. because i have my nepews 3.1.0 wii to test as well. but pairing the gamepad back and forth is annoying.

16. jonathanb9595

Newcomer jonathanb9595 Member

United States
    Just got everything loaded up, the helloworld works like a charm! Good work guys! :yayu:

17. BullyWiiPlaza

Germany
    Lol, please just shut up. You skid have no room to talk at all as dumb as your posts are and have been. What about telling me what is wrong with what I did instead? Oh well, you can't because you don't know either and rather write a stupid comment.

EDIT:
    Got it to compile, I'm going to help clarifying the readme.

---

Here is a decent Windows installation tutorial I made:

Links:
    Wii U Browser Exploit: https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu
    Python: https://www.python.org/downloads/
    devkitPro: http://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/
    Cygwin: https://cygwin.com/install.html

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, Jun 19, 2015
  18. deformyer
    OP

Belgium
    @BullyWiiPlaza
    Please stop raging, I'm all about constructive feedback but this just makes you look like a little kid.
    And stop blaming me or the devs, all the error you're getting are caused by following the linux tutorial on windows.
    • Python IS a command on linux/maxosx but not on windows, i wouldn't make 2 separate tutorials if the instructions were the same.
    • Same for the deleting of the cygwin files. Of course cygwin doesn't compile if you delete the cygwin lines, this is only for linux.
    • I explained the fact why the windows tutorial is so short, you can make a good one yourself, as you're so good

I would like to see you make a WiiU exploit, you can't even follow a tutorial.

hugofestA and Quantumcat like this.
  19. BullyWiiPlaza

Germany
    Nope, if you read my post properly you would have noticed that I used Linux AND Windows systems to try to install it on so no, I wasn't doing the Linux tutorial on Windows and I did nothing wrong because I followed exactly what it said. Also I made a full Windows tutorial but according to you I'm apparently so bad. What about admitting your own mistakes instead of trying to blame it on others? I pointed out a few things so that you can fix them so will you or not?
    Wrong, you can't even write a working guide. All I'm asking for is a decent tutorial but it seems too much. Fine then, I will have to experiment myself. Did you even install it yourself? Apparently not, because you wouldn't have that many issues in the guide.

Also I surely don't have months or years of time to spend for Wii U hacking and besides it needed like 10 people to get it done. This has nothing to do with writing an own Wii U exploit anyway.

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza, Jun 19, 2015
  20. nastys

Member nastys ナースティス

Italy

Don't forget to log out then log in again to apply the changes to .bashrc and also you don't need to install Python, since it's preinstalled.
    Also I don't think you can edit .bashrc
    on OS X like on Linux.

BullyWiiPlaza likes this.