WiiU hangs at boot, no video

MrPeach2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two WiiUs that have this same behavior. I power them on, the lights behave as they should but there is no video.

I have tried HDMI, component and composite and none work. TV does not detect an active signal.

System does not power off properly (short press of power button), requiring a hard power off (long press of power button).

According to some posts I found, this seems to indicate that IOSU has fallen over.

I'm guessing the MMC is buggered, and I have been unable to find a way to deal with this after a variety of Internet searches over the past couple of hours.

Hoping that someone here can point me at a resource that will help me correct this problem.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you bet on a broken eMMC and get a NAND-AID (you can ask @V10lator) and build yourself and adapter out of an micro SD adapter for a card reader and dump the MLC. Then Write the MLC image to an 32GB SD card and put that into the NAND-AID.

For the dumping it's basically this process: https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/
On the NAND-AID you get bigger pads, which make the soldering easier. Instead of building the adapter for the cardreader yourself out of an micro SD adapter, you could also buy such a thing: https://www.ebay.de/itm/40256871075...uid=SLvCthtyRc-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY You can put this into the cardreader and solder it's pad to the NAND-AIDs pads to access the eMMC.

The alternative would be to defuse

MrPeach2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you bet on a broken eMMC and get a NAND-AID (you can ask @V10lator) and build yourself and adapter out of an micro SD adapter for a card reader and dump the MLC. Then Write the MLC image to an 32GB SD card and put that into the NAND-AID.

For the dumping it's basically this process <redacted>

On the NAND-AID you get bigger pads, which make the soldering easier. Instead of building the adapter for the cardreader yourself out of an micro SD adapter, you could also buy such a thing: <redacted>

You can put this into the cardreader and solder it's pad to the NAND-AIDs pads to access the eMMC.

The alternative would be to defuse
My obvious concern is that the NAND is damaged in some way, how is copying that damaged image to an SD going to help?

Are you assuming that the problem is in how the nand is being read and that the backup to SD is done differently enough that a true copy will be made?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From here: Ultimate Wii U Troubleshooting Guide
You might be wondering why transfering the corrupted data from the eMMC over can improve the situation. The answer is, that at that stage in the boot it often doesn't fail because of a read but of a write operation. When the eMMC is failing, it can go into a read only state, which makes the write fail and the OS crash. Also writes of partial blocks can fail, because for that the eMMC would need to read back the rest of the block, which can fail, if the eMMC detects corruption.

It won't give you a good image, but it's probably enough to launch at least UDPIH again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped