PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@GustavoReis i saw it was fixed on code, I will try to compile the new changes later.

@Jokippo we have tested your 240p mod on a NTSC TV (a CRT one).
It doesn't work if using a NTSC TV (black screen when trying to use your 240p mode on a NTSC TV).
Any fix?
I have added specific PAL-M and NTSC modes. And made the switching a bit more stable.
New version here: github com Jokippo/WiiSXRX_2022240p/releases/tag/v2.4-240pV2

No, I don't play on a CRT. I use an LCD with an OSSC, so it is even easier to notice. If I compare the picture to other emulators such as Retro Arch and mGBA, or just any GC or Wii game without deflicker, it's quite obvious.

I wanted also to point out that I've found out that audio seems to have a delay? Like, it's easy to hear it it with sound effects in menus for example, you move a cursor and the sound comes later than the action.
It is odd that 240p mode wouldn't be sharper on an OSSC. I am not sure why that is but when I compare the native Wii 240p-suite versus the psx version in Wiistation on a CRT they look identical. I made some changes, but I don't have a upscaler so I can't test them out.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It is odd that 240p mode wouldn't be sharper on an OSSC. I am not sure why that is but when I compare the native Wii 240p-suite versus the psx version in Wiistation on a CRT they look identical. I made some changes, but I don't have a upscaler so I can't test them out.

Actually, here's a comparison on my end between the Wii's own 240p testsuit and emulating the PS1 version on Wiistation.

Comparison.png

Leaving aside that my capture card is cheap and obviously not the best out there, the difference is pretty obvious and shows that there's a filter in Wiistation even in 240p. I even erased all the setting files that I already had on the WiisxRX folder (which is where it looks for games so I guess it also uses it for settings).

The OSSC itself is not a variable, it's all about the applications running on the Wii. Just to be clear, it has nothing to do with your changes, which are very welcome; it's how WiiSX has been since the beginning, I was just surprised that it's turned on even at 240p.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually, here's a comparison on my end between the Wii's own 240p testsuit and emulating the PS1 version on Wiistation.

View attachment 380645

Leaving aside that my capture card is cheap and obviously not the best out there, the difference is pretty obvious and shows that there's a filter in Wiistation even in 240p. I even erased all the setting files that I already had on the WiisxRX folder (which is where it looks for games so I guess it also uses it for settings).

The OSSC itself is not a variable, it's all about the applications running on the Wii. Just to be clear, it has nothing to do with your changes, which are very welcome; it's how WiiSX has been since the beginning, I was just surprised that it's turned on even at 240p.
I see what you mean, thanks for the captures. Yeah differences like that wouldn't be noticeable on a CRT. Looks like the biggest problem is in the horizontal filtering which I think might be because of the filtering the psx emulator itself does. I will have to look into that. The vertical filtering looks mostly fine because I specificaly disable the flicker filter for 240p mode.

Zorg07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hello friends! Thanks to @SaulFabre , he warned me about this great @Jokippo project, about the 240p support, well I tell you that it is fully functional and has been tested on a 32-inch Sony Trinitron CRT, it is not multi-standard, only NTSC, thanks my @Darkodan friend who was the one who tested and sent me the following screenshots, here I leave the images.
He's impressed as far as I know, thanks for the job.

Pdta: He tells me that the emulator menu doesn't look so clear unlike version 2.0. The first photo is from the v2.0 menu (clear) and the second photo is v2.4 with 240p (somewhat blurry)

foto sin 240p.jpg
Con 240p.jpg
354240173_646206903767889_6482343427142867369_n.jpg

354222284_292098103234627_8836316118772639302_n.jpg

Last edited by Zorg07,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello friends! Thanks to @SaulFabre , he warned me about this great @Jokippo project, about the 240p support, well I tell you that it is fully functional and has been tested on a 32-inch Sony Trinitron CRT, it is not multi-standard, only NTSC, thanks my @Darkodan friend who was the one who tested and sent me the following screenshots, here I leave the images.

Pdta: He tells me that the emulator menu doesn't look so clear unlike version 2.0. The first photo is from the v2.0 menu (clear) and the second photo is v2.4 with 240p (somewhat blurry)

View attachment 380841View attachment 380842View attachment 380843
View attachment 380844

@Zorg07 I think it's related to the bilinear filtering that is forced-enabled since forever even on WiiSX.

But anyways, great that the 240p support is complete on WiiStation! (Good moment for make a PR to WiiStation ;) https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/pulls )

Only thing missing is removing that pesky bilinear filter. Maybe @Jokippo want to check on the code for remove that bilinear filtering on all resolutions (240p and 480i/480p, etc.?)

Last edited by SaulFabre,

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

View attachment 380841View attachment 380842View attachment 380843
View attachment 380844
Thanks for the testing! Good to see NTSC is working. On the second picture it looks like the menu is stuck on 240p, I'll look into that.

@Zorg07 I think it's related to the bilinear filtering that is forced-enabled since forever even on WiiSX.

But anyways, great that the 240p support is complete on WiiStation! (Good moment for make a PR to WiiStation ;) https://github.com/xjsxjs197/WiiSXRX_2022/pulls )

Only thing missing is removing that pesky bilinear filter. Maybe @Jokippo want to check on the code for remove that bilinear filtering on all resolutions (240p and 480i/480p, etc.?)
Yes, I will try to remove the bilinear filtering for the next version, although that will only be noticeable on a high quality upscaler.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for the testing! Good to see NTSC is working. On the second picture it looks like the menu is stuck on 240p, I'll look into that.

Yes, I will try to remove the bilinear filtering for the next version, although that will only be noticeable on a high quality upscaler.
@Jokippo I will wait for your next work for removing the filter.

BTW, is it OK if i join all your commits into one change in a copy and I send your changes to WiiStation repo on GitHub, with obviously giving you credit for the work? So u can save the step of having to make a PR yourself :P

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil

@Jokippo

A question, would it be complicated to add a scanline filter in the emulator?

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Jokippo I will wait for your next work for removing the filter.

BTW, is it OK if i join all your commits into one change in a copy and I send your changes to WiiStation repo on GitHub, with obviously giving you credit for the work? So u can save the step of having to make a PR yourself :P
Well, I am still making a lot of changes. When I am happy with the code I will make a PR. Thanks though.

@GustavoReis That falls a bit outside of the scope of this 240p mod.

Last edited by Jokippo,

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tested it quickly, and when it works, it looks really, really nice! It basically looks just like trying the same game on my PS2. It's great!

But I've noticed a few issues... Well, more like one that manifests in different ways.

I don't know exactly why, but depending on what game I try to boot, I see my OSSC getting crazy and showing that it tries to output a very weird resolution (1037i). It happens during the boot of a game, I guess because the PS1 boot animation, and apparently also happens on some FMVs, and games that play at 480i... But not always. Torneko: The Last Hope gave me a lot of issues, it's a game that changes resolution often; but Vagrant Story, with its 480i title screen worked fine.

It has to be related to changing resolutions, most probably. Booting the 240p suit without a bios just works fine, for example, as it only has to do the initial 240 change when selecting "start the game".

Regardless of that, with the filter out of the way it really looks clean, thank you so much for trying to do it! I wonder, could the bilinear also be removed on 480p? All the resolution changes that I mentioned don't happen there, as it plays all the content on the same format so it could be useful, and also good for those that cannot take advantage of 240p of course, which should be most people as CRT and upscaler users are less common.

Again, thank you so much to let me see that it can be done.

Reactions: DDinghoya

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
First of all thanks to Jokippo for the 240p support.
Night and day difference between v2 and v3. Left pic with bilinear filter, right without it. Tested on my 29 inch NTSC CRT and Nintendo Wii NTSC + component video. Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_085958.jpg
    IMG_20230630_085958.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230630_090146.jpg
    IMG_20230630_090146.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited by zerofalcon,

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested it quickly, and when it works, it looks really, really nice! It basically looks just like trying the same game on my PS2. It's great!

But I've noticed a few issues... Well, more like one that manifests in different ways.

I don't know exactly why, but depending on what game I try to boot, I see my OSSC getting crazy and showing that it tries to output a very weird resolution (1037i). It happens during the boot of a game, I guess because the PS1 boot animation, and apparently also happens on some FMVs, and games that play at 480i... But not always. Torneko: The Last Hope gave me a lot of issues, it's a game that changes resolution often; but Vagrant Story, with its 480i title screen worked fine.

It has to be related to changing resolutions, most probably. Booting the 240p suit without a bios just works fine, for example, as it only has to do the initial 240 change when selecting "start the game".

Regardless of that, with the filter out of the way it really looks clean, thank you so much for trying to do it! I wonder, could the bilinear also be removed on 480p? All the resolution changes that I mentioned don't happen there, as it plays all the content on the same format so it could be useful, and also good for those that cannot take advantage of 240p of course, which should be most people as CRT and upscaler users are less common.

Again, thank you so much to let me see that it can be done.
Thanks for testing! I tried Torneko and it works fine on my CRT so it is probably something with your setup.

You use the Wii on progressive mode right? does it also happen if you change the mode to 480i in the Wii settings? I see some weird behavior when I test Torneko on Dolphin with progressive mode enabled. As well as the boot animation on other games.
I am not doing anything specific to setup progressive mode, so that might be the issue.

Also due to the way the emulator works right now I am using a lot of non standard vertical resolutions which work fine on a CRT but might be causing problems on an OSSC. Not sure about that though.

I'll try to fix the 480p issue on dolphin at least, since I can test that myself.

Last edited by Jokippo,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Torneko performs normally on 480p like any other game I can try, because as I said the system nor the emulator need to change video formats/resolutions, everything works on the same one. I think you nailed it on the head when you mention using non standard vertical resolutions, though, that totally sounds like a possible cause, after all how a CRT works and a modern display differ heavily.

I mention Torneko because it is one of those annoying games that displays on several resolutions depending on the screen, plus it has a strange resolution by itself from what I remember reading. Other games like the above mentioned Vagrant Story and Vandal Hearts worked normally, beyond the initial blackout during the PS1 boot screen, one of the things that I also mentioned.

Lastly, there wasn't really an issue in 480p. I might have explained myself wrong, I was asking if the bilinear filter could be disabled on 480p too as you did for 240p.

Thank you for your effort and input!

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Torneko performs normally on 480p like any other game I can try, because as I said the system nor the emulator need to change video formats/resolutions, everything works on the same one. I think you nailed it on the head when you mention using non standard vertical resolutions, though, that totally sounds like a possible cause, after all how a CRT works and a modern display differ heavily.

I mention Torneko because it is one of those annoying games that displays on several resolutions depending on the screen, plus it has a strange resolution by itself from what I remember reading. Other games like the above mentioned Vagrant Story and Vandal Hearts worked normally, beyond the initial blackout during the PS1 boot screen, one of the things that I also mentioned.

Lastly, there wasn't really an issue in 480p. I might have explained myself wrong, I was asking if the bilinear filter could be disabled on 480p too as you did for 240p.

Thank you for your effort and input!
Sorry, I meant if you go to the Wii settings on the Wii dashboard you can choose between 480i and 480p. I was wondering if the problem persist if you choose 480i.

Reactions: SaulFabre

rexus_pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@Jokippo is there a chance to implement free image scalling when using 480p/480i (like Genesis Plus GX)? It looks like you're touching similar problems, so maybe...?

Some TV's has really stupid settings - eg. my one shows Component output in black border OR with little overscan. That overscan looks good in Wii and Gamecube games, but has to be compensated in PSX games (you can see it in my earlier posts).

Anyway, good job - I hope it will be integrated in next Wiistation release.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Jokippo is there a chance to implement free image scalling when using 480p/480i (like Genesis Plus GX)? It looks like you're touching similar problems, so maybe...?

Some TV's has really stupid settings - eg. my one shows Component output in black border OR with little overscan. That overscan looks good in Wii and Gamecube games, but has to be compensated in PSX games (you can see it in my earlier posts).

Anyway, good job - I hope it will be integrated in next Wiistation release.
Yeah that would be nice feature, but I am not planning to do that myself. I am mostly just doing this because I dislike looking at interlaced modes on my CRT.

Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/40XQ8L9wsCA?si=GzpPBaHQQLU0plt_ Neat