PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry, I meant if you go to the Wii settings on the Wii dashboard you can choose between 480i and 480p. I was wondering if the problem persist if you choose 480i.
I've tested. For some reason, on 480i the resolution/video changes seem to work when it's between 240p and 480i, but not with 480p. Something iffy must be going on specifically with progressive scan.

Just for reference, I've messed with emulators on the Wii, changing from 240p to 480p often and it always worked fine.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've tested. For some reason, on 480i the resolution/video changes seem to work when it's between 240p and 480i, but not with 480p. Something iffy must be going on specifically with progressive scan.

Just for reference, I've messed with emulators on the Wii, changing from 240p to 480p often and it always worked fine.
Thanks for testing. Yeah, I am just not setting up 480p the right way. I'll try to fix it for the next release.

Also, I could disable bilinear filtering for non-240p mode but without switching TV modes that would cause scaling issues. So probably not worth it.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Even if it is disabled at the moment of booting the emulator from HBC instead of just turning it on or off when start to play the game?

With other emulators turning bilinear or and off does not need to reset the video, but perhaps WiiSX does things differently.

Thanks again.

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even if it is disabled at the moment of booting the emulator from HBC instead of just turning it on or off when start to play the game?

With other emulators turning bilinear or and off does not need to reset the video, but perhaps WiiSX does things differently.

Thanks again.
Because ps1 games like to switch horizontal resolutions a lot, you would need to scale them to maintain the same aspect ratio. You could do that by switching tv modes so the scaler or the tv will scale it themselves. Or you could use bilinear filtering which is how Wiistation does it right now. Without bilinear filtering you would get aliasing and artifacts in the image.

Most other older consoles don't switch resolutions so often.

Reactions: Tarmfot

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Some minor changes. This should fix 480p mode, and vertical offset was also set a bit wrong.

Download here:
https://github.com/Jokippo/WiiSXRX_2022240p/releases/tag/v2.4-240pV4

Hey Jokippo, i just tested your newer version of the 240pV4 and it does work on 480p and a hd tv just need to activate the 240p on the Video Tab then go to game, the screen will turn complete black and telling me there's no signal but once i go back to menu and deactivate 240p and go back to the game the game looks sharper. Here's a video:

I don't have a recorder but this is the best I could do.

Also, if you go back to the emulator menu it looses the sharpness and you must redo the activate 240p, go back to game wait a little bit, deactivate 240p and go back to game to recover the sharpness.

So, if you want sharpness do it once and don't go back to the menu xd. Also, dont press start on SOTN it puts the bilinear filter back.

Last edited by drag4you,

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey Jokippo, i just tested your newer version of the 240pV4 and it does work on 480p and a hd tv just need to activate the 240p on the Video Tab then go to game, the screen will turn complete black and telling me there's no signal but once i go back to menu and deactivate 240p and go back to the game the game looks sharper. Here's a video:

View attachment 381170
I don't have a recorder but this is the best I could do.
So your TV can't switch correctly when you start the game in 240p mode? Do other emulators set to ' original' (240p) mode also have problems on your tv?

The reason it is sharper when you change it back is because the filtering isn't applied until you change tv modes so you are temporarily looking at a 480p image without bilinear filtering.

Last edited by Jokippo,
  • Wow
Reactions: lufeig and drag4you

GustavoReis

GameCube and wii lover
Trophies
Website
mundowiihack.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Brazil
New version (v4) - Wii2hdmi

Screenshot_20230701-083812.png

Screenshot_20230701-083656.png

Screenshot_20230701-093418.png

Screenshot_20230701-093543.png

Last edited by GustavoReis,

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So your TV can't switch correctly when you start the game in 240p mode? Do other emulators set to ' original' (240p) mode also have problems on your tv?

The reason it is sharper when you change it back is because the filtering isn't applied until you change tv modes so you are temporarily looking at a 480p image without bilinear filtering.
Yeah, it doesn't give any signal if i put the 'Original' settings in snes9gx :(
There's also no signal in the vba gx emulator if i put the video on 240p ntsc

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France

I read you post about disabling bilinear filtering for 480p may induce artifacts and aliasing... But is it really gamebreaking? (I don't know, I ask ^^).

Maybe add an option "Bilinear Filtering [ON] [OFF]" so users have the choice, if they can't use 240p (it it's not too much work to implement, of course).

Anyway, what you did is already awesome, thank you so much for your hard work.:yay:

Last edited by Ouaz,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tried a bit the latest version, and the issues of progressive scan seem to be gone.

Switching between 240p and 480p works fine too, Torneko didn't suffer from the blackouts from before. Unfortunately that game is mostly a 480 res game, so you get no sharpness... although it seems it uses very weird resolutions, so I guess the filter can be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

But nonetheless, thank you for fixing it, now ps1 games can look gorgeous if played at 240p, this is needed on all forks of WiiSX!

Jokippo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried a bit the latest version, and the issues of progressive scan seem to be gone.

Switching between 240p and 480p works fine too, Torneko didn't suffer from the blackouts from before. Unfortunately that game is mostly a 480 res game, so you get no sharpness... although it seems it uses very weird resolutions, so I guess the filter can be a bit of a blessing in disguise.

But nonetheless, thank you for fixing it, now ps1 games can look gorgeous if played at 240p, this is needed on all forks of WiiSX!
Good to hear that 480p is fixed now.

Bilinear filtering is also disabled for the 480 modes when 240p mode is enabled. And the flicker filter gets disabled as well, so these modes should look a bit sharper anyway.

I read you post about disabling bilinear filtering for 480p may induce artifacts and aliasing... But is it really gamebreaking? (I don't know, I ask ^^).

Maybe add an option "Bilinear Filtering [ON] [OFF]" so users have the choice, if they can't use 240p (it it's not too much work to implement, of course).

Anyway, what you did is already awesome, thank you so much for your hard work.:yay:
Well, It would only really look good for games that run in exact 320x240 or 640x480 the way it works right now. And that only includes games that don't have black bars on top and bottom, as they would get stretched anyway.

But yeah, it might be good to have as an option for some select games, although the setting screen is already getting a bit cluttered.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tested the 240p_v4, and it works perfectly (Wii Pal, official Component cable, HDTV, Pal and NTSC games). The image quality is now perfect, really night and day.

When 240p is activated, my TV switches to 480i, and as stated by Jokippo earlier, the image can not be stretched (it is a bit squished horizontally and does not fill the full 4:3 viewport of my TV).

If I go back to the settings menu, turn off 240p, and resume the game, my TV switches back to 480p, the aspect ratio is back to normal (circles are... circles and not ovals), and the bilinear filter always stays off (even when going back again to the menu for save states or anything else).

Awesome work, thank you again!

Last edited by Ouaz,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi, does this emulator work with a usb controller on one of the USB ports?
No.

Quote from WiiStation README:

Goals:

• DualShock 3, DualShock 4 and DualShock 5 controller support.
It basically still needs HID devices support, which it's not implemented yet on WiiStation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, krustday krab