Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
11 November 08: A new beta of Wii Linux (Codename Miight) has been released. It has been worked on by Muzer and now includes a GUI (XORG) with wiimote support as a mouse and it has an on-screen keyboard as well as many other applications. Wifi is still untested.

A new beta version of WiiLinux has been released. It now sports a GUI, Wiimote support (as a mouse), an on-screen keyboard (for those without a USB keyboard) and also includes a handful of applications.

Installation - miight-full_beta1

1) Partition off your SD as per http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:whiite-lin..._of_the_SD_card
2) Install the whiite kernel as per that page as well
3) Install the miight filesystem as per that page, but use http://hbcapps.com/miight-full_beta1.tar.gz as the filesystem
4) Remove and USB mass storage devices (they can be reconnected once it boots)
5) Boot the wii, choose whiite, wait until you see the GUI login prompt, wait a bit more, it should autologin, then wait until the X turns into a normal cursor. It is now ready to use.
6) You can use a USB keyboard or mouse, or the wiimote (press A to synch it).
7) You right click (B on the wiimote) on teh desktop to get up the apps list.
8) Choose an app, and fiddle all you like!
9) If you don't have a USB keyboard, load xvkbd from the menu. Warning: This takes up half the screen :s

Source: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Linux

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
finally a gui
biggrin.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Ozz465 said:
nicksasa said:
yeah the only problem is that i use windows ... i have the live cd's but ill try later
wait , i need lixus to install this?

No, you don't need a full Linux installed or a Linux Live-CD for that. For Partitioning the SD-Card, I can recommend GParted, a free Partition Magic based on Linux. Simply burn the iso and boot from DVD or boot from USB-Stick on your PC and partiton your SD-Card. GParted is here.

So basicly yes, you need a Linux (or a sort of), but you don't have to install it, and you only need it for doing the partitioning of the SD
wink2.gif

BTW, does anybody know if this will work on an SDHC-Card?

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Ozz465 said:
nicksasa said:
yeah the only problem is that i use windows ... i have the live cd's but ill try later
wait , i need lixus to install this?

No, you don't need a full Linux installed or a Linux Live-CD for that. For Partitioning the SD-Card, I can recommend GParted, a free Partition Magic based on Linux. Simply burn the iso and boot from DVD or boot from USB-Stick on your PC and partiton your SD-Card. GParted is here.

So basicly yes, you need a Linux (or a sort of), but you don't have to install it, and you only need it for doing the partitioning of the SD
wink2.gif

BTW, does anybody know if this will work on an SDHC-Card?
thx.

anyone install this yet??? features?? impression?

Muzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public. In this case, the full version will not be released, and only given to people I trust. I'm sorry it had to come to this, I didn't make it clear enough in the IRC channel that it was supposed to be a private beta. Sorry for any embarassment this may have caused, and I sincerly hope I do not have to cancel this, as I have had fun.

Please add this to the first post if you wish, so the chances of me having to cancel are less.

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Muzer said:
I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public. In this case, the full version will not be released, and only given to people I trust. I'm sorry it had to come to this, I didn't make it clear enough in the IRC channel that it was supposed to be a private beta. Sorry for any embarassment this may have caused, and I sincerly hope I do not have to cancel this, as I have had fun.
What a shame , knowing the idiots on the net someone will up it and ruin it for everyone . good work from what i can see , hopefully u can finish it and we all can enjoy ure works.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Muzer said:
I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public.
Why does it make that much of a difference if it gets leaked? Do you not have enough respect or faith for your project that you can continue to work on it even if people want to try it before its finished?

It blows that it was leaked and I'm sympathetic there, but canceling the project over something so petty won't make you look very mature.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Heran Bago said:
Muzer said:
I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public.
Why does it make that much of a difference if it gets leaked? Do you not have enough respect or faith for your project that you can continue to work on it even if people want to try it before its finished?

It blows that it was leaked and I'm sympathetic there, but canceling the project over something so petty won't make you look very mature.
It might not be really fair to cancel a project because one asshole can't keep it for himself, but I can very much imagine that leaked beta versions are a reason to stop a project.

Personally, I'm working a lot on R4YSauto. In the near future it will get a GUI. There are a lot of people who have the beta test, and practically everyone can get it from me by PMing. Leaking the beta would destroy the whole purpose of a beta, and it's really disappointing to see a project getting leaked before you wanted it to be released.

My personal way of dealing with this is by allowing beta testers to post as much information as they want to. This will make the use of a leak to just "check it out" useless, and it won't hurt your project.

Anyway, we're getting offtopic here. Linux on the Wii is still a dream to many people. I can't wait until that dream is realised
smile.gif

LegendaryXM90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm...yeah. Releasing 'private' stuff in an IRC CHANNEL is NEVER, EVER, EVER, a good idea.

Always do private beta testing through queries and PMs to people you know and/or trust.

Sorry about your project getting leaked, but you have to have more control over this stuff man.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol