Wiilinux "Miight" Beta Released

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by djdynamite123, Nov 11, 2008.

Nov 11, 2008
  1. djdynamite123
    OP

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    11 November 08: A new beta of Wii Linux (Codename Miight) has been released. It has been worked on by Muzer and now includes a GUI (XORG) with wiimote support as a mouse and it has an on-screen keyboard as well as many other applications. Wifi is still untested.

A new beta version of WiiLinux has been released. It now sports a GUI, Wiimote support (as a mouse), an on-screen keyboard (for those without a USB keyboard) and also includes a handful of applications.

Installation - miight-full_beta1

1) Partition off your SD as per http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/WL:whiite-lin..._of_the_SD_card
    2) Install the whiite kernel as per that page as well
    3) Install the miight filesystem as per that page, but use http://hbcapps.com/miight-full_beta1.tar.gz as the filesystem
    4) Remove and USB mass storage devices (they can be reconnected once it boots)
    5) Boot the wii, choose whiite, wait until you see the GUI login prompt, wait a bit more, it should autologin, then wait until the X turns into a normal cursor. It is now ready to use.
    6) You can use a USB keyboard or mouse, or the wiimote (press A to synch it).
    7) You right click (B on the wiimote) on teh desktop to get up the apps list.
    8) Choose an app, and fiddle all you like!
    9) If you don't have a USB keyboard, load xvkbd from the menu. Warning: This takes up half the screen :s

Source: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Linux

2. nicksasa

Member nicksasa GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    finally a gui [​IMG]

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Was going to post this, too [​IMG]

Awesome breakthru. I should get a bigger SD card [​IMG]

I wonder if Wi-Fi works...

4. djdynamite123
    OP

United Kingdom
    Don't call me dynamite for nothing lol, i was meant to post this about 4 hours ago, but forgot, anyway have fun guys.

5. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Is there like a video of the GUI available yet?

6. Ozz465

Member Ozz465 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    sounds interesting , what features does this provide?

btw the first link has a blank page

7. nicksasa

Belgium
    the first link is not working ...

8. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
  9. djdynamite123
    OP

United Kingdom
    It is now, its from the source anyway, try now [​IMG]

10. nicksasa

Belgium
    yeah the only problem is that i use windows ... i have the live cd's but ill try later

11. Ozz465

United States
    wait , i need lixus to install this?

12. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    No, you don't need a full Linux installed or a Linux Live-CD for that. For Partitioning the SD-Card, I can recommend GParted, a free Partition Magic based on Linux. Simply burn the iso and boot from DVD or boot from USB-Stick on your PC and partiton your SD-Card. GParted is here.

So basicly yes, you need a Linux (or a sort of), but you don't have to install it, and you only need it for doing the partitioning of the SD [​IMG]

BTW, does anybody know if this will work on an SDHC-Card?

13. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    feature list?

14. Ozz465

United States
    thx.

anyone install this yet??? features?? impression?

15. Muzer

Newcomer Muzer Member

United Kingdom
    I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public. In this case, the full version will not be released, and only given to people I trust. I'm sorry it had to come to this, I didn't make it clear enough in the IRC channel that it was supposed to be a private beta. Sorry for any embarassment this may have caused, and I sincerly hope I do not have to cancel this, as I have had fun.

Please add this to the first post if you wish, so the chances of me having to cancel are less.

16. Ozz465

United States
    What a shame , knowing the idiots on the net someone will up it and ruin it for everyone . good work from what i can see , hopefully u can finish it and we all can enjoy ure works.

17. Seraph863

Newcomer Seraph863 Member

United States
    Waninkoko joke, perhaps? Not very funny if it is.

18. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Why does it make that much of a difference if it gets leaked? Do you not have enough respect or faith for your project that you can continue to work on it even if people want to try it before its finished?

It blows that it was leaked and I'm sympathetic there, but canceling the project over something so petty won't make you look very mature.

19. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    It might not be really fair to cancel a project because one asshole can't keep it for himself, but I can very much imagine that leaked beta versions are a reason to stop a project.

Personally, I'm working a lot on R4YSauto. In the near future it will get a GUI. There are a lot of people who have the beta test, and practically everyone can get it from me by PMing. Leaking the beta would destroy the whole purpose of a beta, and it's really disappointing to see a project getting leaked before you wanted it to be released.

My personal way of dealing with this is by allowing beta testers to post as much information as they want to. This will make the use of a leak to just "check it out" useless, and it won't hurt your project.

Anyway, we're getting offtopic here. Linux on the Wii is still a dream to many people. I can't wait until that dream is realised [​IMG]

20. LegendaryXM90

Member LegendaryXM90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Umm...yeah. Releasing 'private' stuff in an IRC CHANNEL is NEVER, EVER, EVER, a good idea.

Always do private beta testing through queries and PMs to people you know and/or trust.

Sorry about your project getting leaked, but you have to have more control over this stuff man.