Wiikey / Chipset Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kdr4485, Jul 29, 2007.

Jul 29, 2007

Wiikey / Chipset Help by kdr4485 at 9:31 PM (1,577 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    I've purhased and installed a official Wiikey modchip (not a clone). I've installed it and it seems to be installed correctly, after the 2nd try.

The problem is that it wont recognized any backups or the setup config disc. I've been looking around and have come across some information saying that some modchips will not work with a GC2-D2B type, which is what I have.

Just wanted to ask if this was the case, or if it is not and my soldering job isn't as good as I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Wiikey should work without problems on d2b. Sounds like your solder job to me [​IMG].

3. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess thats good news, at least it has a chance of working lol.

I guess I need to give a 3rd attempt...

And I've tried reading all over but, are there any tips/tricks I should know? Like wire method or quick solder being better etc.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Personally I highly prefer wire. In the case of the WiiKey even more so as it has quite thick PCB. But that is mostly personal (though I notice a lot of people use small parts of wires when doing a WiiKey install even when quicksoldering).

5. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    Update: Just got done with a wire install, looks like everything is in place once again. It is still acting as if there is no chip in the Wii: it plays regular Wii games fine, but never plays a backup or the config disc.

Another note: I also noticed on the chip where it says GC2-D2B, there are 3 little prongs missing on one side...does this have to do with anything?

Thanks in advance.

6. Slim

Newcomer Slim Member

Canada
    Im having the same problem as u atm, my chip worked great for 3 months then all of a sudden it couldnt read backups. I checked the soldering n it was fine. I personaly think that the wiikey is diffective

7. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    as for your problem, yeah, maybe your Wiikey died (for some reason - overheating maybe?? just guessing). buy a new one - clone will do just fine.

8. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    wiikey should update their site stating you need to reconnect these 3 broken pins.

i use 30 awg wires to rebuild the legs and then wiikey works fine, i've done 5 of these new ones now and all worked fine.