Hacking Wiikey / Chipset Help

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've purhased and installed a official Wiikey modchip (not a clone). I've installed it and it seems to be installed correctly, after the 2nd try.

The problem is that it wont recognized any backups or the setup config disc. I've been looking around and have come across some information saying that some modchips will not work with a GC2-D2B type, which is what I have.

Just wanted to ask if this was the case, or if it is not and my soldering job isn't as good as I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wiikey should work without problems on d2b. Sounds like your solder job to me
wink.gif

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess thats good news, at least it has a chance of working lol.

I guess I need to give a 3rd attempt...

And I've tried reading all over but, are there any tips/tricks I should know? Like wire method or quick solder being better etc.

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Personally I highly prefer wire. In the case of the WiiKey even more so as it has quite thick PCB. But that is mostly personal (though I notice a lot of people use small parts of wires when doing a WiiKey install even when quicksoldering).

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Just got done with a wire install, looks like everything is in place once again. It is still acting as if there is no chip in the Wii: it plays regular Wii games fine, but never plays a backup or the config disc.

Another note: I also noticed on the chip where it says GC2-D2B, there are 3 little prongs missing on one side...does this have to do with anything?

Thanks in advance.

Slim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im having the same problem as u atm, my chip worked great for 3 months then all of a sudden it couldnt read backups. I checked the soldering n it was fine. I personaly think that the wiikey is diffective

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Just got done with a wire install, looks like everything is in place once again. It is still acting as if there is no chip in the Wii: it plays regular Wii games fine, but never plays a backup or the config disc.

Another note: I also noticed on the chip where it says GC2-D2B, there are 3 little prongs missing on one side...does this have to do with anything?

Thanks in advance.

my my my.. you sure are new here. your Wii is among the batch of Wii that has 3 legs of the chips removed. so even if you soldered everything properly, you have to connect the missing leg to its place.

read this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=53402&st=0 and this one http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=52255 .

it might be a bit tricky to do that so hire a pro to do that for you

Im having the same problem as u atm, my chip worked great for 3 months then all of a sudden it couldnt read backups. I checked the soldering n it was fine. I personaly think that the wiikey is diffective

as for your problem, yeah, maybe your Wiikey died (for some reason - overheating maybe?? just guessing). buy a new one - clone will do just fine.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
wiikey should update their site stating you need to reconnect these 3 broken pins.

i use 30 awg wires to rebuild the legs and then wiikey works fine, i've done 5 of these new ones now and all worked fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)