WiiFree vs. Chiip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by arthurkok2, Mar 7, 2007.

Mar 7, 2007

WiiFree vs. Chiip by arthurkok2 at 8:26 PM (914 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. arthurkok2
    OP

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Which one should i buy the parts for and build?

2. CamaroShifter88

Newcomer CamaroShifter88 Member

United States
    umm.. correct me if I'm wrong but..

is wiifree even a chip?

3. Modrak

Member Modrak GBAtemp Regular

Czech Republic
    Both are almost the same, DVD drive hack, so I think it's just about your previous experience with either PIC or Atmel chips.

4. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    Wiifree parts

5. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Chiip code is more advanced at this time. WiiFree is not currently able to play Gamecube backups.

6. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    ya, i guess ill buy part for that. Chiip has a nice site too! Organized and all... http://chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Main_Page

7. fiver

Newcomer fiver Member

United States
    Actually with Chiip Beta 4 there have been some reports of problems with GC backups. I haven't tested this yet but will be later tonight. Cadex appears to be on top of this though so if there are any problems with GC backups you can expect to see this resolved in the near future.

When (and if) Chiip, WiiFree, and Wiip all become truly open source (to my knowledge, only WiiFree has released source yet), the "best" solution will come down to the solution with the most active development team and community involvement.

Yes, I am aware that there are differences between a PIC and an AVR. But once you know the algorithms and methods applied to one solution, you can easily port it to another. So say Solution A releases a version with Whiz Bang Feature 5, and the Solution B dudes are on top of thier game, you would see Whiz Bang Feature 5 soon in Solution B. Meanwhile, Solution C team is drinking beer and thinking about sex. Even though they might have released code at one point, it is a bit sloppy and there aren't other folks on the scene who want to port Whiz Bang Feature 5 to solution C and maintain their own fork to compensate for the teams wandering, alcoholic ways.

So the best chip to get is the one with the most active team and the most community support. There is no clear winner right now, and there never may be. There could be many equal but different options.

How can you help? Test versions right after release and report bugs back to the team. Offer to beta test. Write documentation. Help others in the forums. Experiment for yourself. Get the source and play with it.

Pick a project now and get behind it. The one you pick *will* be the best, if you start supporting it now rather than wating for the answer to come out in the wash.

8. arthurkok2
    OP

Canada
    [​IMG]

9. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

Well, you can only do so much with drive chips. Isn't the next version of Chiip supposed to support PICs though? I might wait a bit.