Hacking WiiFlow Lite

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there an idiot's guide to compiling the WiiFlow source - I want to play about with removing some kid-unfriendly stuff for my own setup? It doesn't have to include instructions for setting up DEVKITPPC as tutorials seem to already exist for that I think. Can it be done on Windows? Ta.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an idiot's guide to compiling the WiiFlow source - I want to play about with removing some kid-unfriendly stuff for my own setup? It doesn't have to include instructions for setting up DEVKITPPC as tutorials seem to already exist for that I think. Can it be done on Windows? Ta.
so what is kid unfriendly? i know you don't like the Select Plugin button in the Home Menu. anything else?

Reactions: NormalMisha

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A sourcemenu can have up to 12 items on a page. I've noticed that once you have 12 items it puts a button on the bottom left to take you to a new page. Is there some reason why it was done this way?
It's just that the button will take you to the second page that is empty.
Wouldn't it be better if it only adds the button once 13 items have been created, so that it takes you to a second page that actually has an item?

Reactions: gZa

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A sourcemenu can have up to 12 items on a page. I've noticed that once you have 12 items it puts a button on the bottom left to take you to a new page. Is there some reason why it was done this way?
It's just that the button will take you to the second page that is empty.
Wouldn't it be better if it only adds the button once 13 items have been created, so that it takes you to a second page that actually has an item?
What version are you using? I thought I fixed that.

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi @fledge68 and @blackb0x

I recently wanted to start playing singing games that require a microphone to be connected to the rear usb port of the wii. The game box came with two microphones an a powered usb hub.

I connected the usb hub to the port where the hdd was connected and connected the hdd, as well as the two microphones to the hub. I was surprised that both WiiFlow and ULGX did not recognise the HDD. WiiXplorer, on the other hand, has no problems with it. I installed d2x-v10beta52.

For the singing games I probably have to configure Hermes as CIOS and thus the savegame redirection into the EmuNAND does not work, right? At the moment I can't start it because the loaders don't see the HDD.

fandango

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suggest you leave the hard disk connected in whatever usb port normally works for you. Then plug the hub into the other usb port, and plug both microphones into the hub.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off topic question - i watch a lot of video game videos on youtube, especially retro games. i noticed that when the main character gets hit by an enemy his sprite disappears from the video for a short while. why? i can't seem to find anything on google on this.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Jochte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off topic question - i watch a lot of video game videos on youtube, especially retro games. i noticed that when the main character gets hit by an enemy his sprite disappears from the video for a short while. why? i can't seem to find anything on google on this.
maybe you will find this topic from 'retrocomputing stack exchange' and the answers there interesting.

EDIT: I guess I didn't realize til after I posted that you were really asking more about a youtube video glitch vs. a reason for choices made during game development. Whoops!

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe the video quality is not at 60fps, so when the sprite is blinking very fast it shows only the frames where the sprite is not showing

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to show my own text (or images of text if necessary) when the user presses the + button whilst viewing an item? I have seen Wiimpathy's emulator database with images etc., but I just want to show some explanatory text for a few games. I don't want the whole thing ideally.

Last edited by NormalMisha,

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Muliro @NormalMisha i found your source menu with tiers issue (i hope) where you lose a number. I will post a test dol within the coming days. seems it only affected source menu not sourceflow.

I'm pretty sure I am using sourceflow TBH. I'm using Shima's theme with the spinning wheel at the top level. I.e. not the old style grid layout.

so what is kid unfriendly? i know you don't like the Select Plugin button in the Home Menu. anything else?
Kid-friendly was a blanket term really for things that I want to add. But I think the HOME button action (Source Menu Setup) on the sourceflow tiers should be a parental lock item. A kid can mess things up in there AFAIK. Even an adult could.

Other things would be:

- If Wiiflow detects no controllers for a few seconds after boot (and a new wiiflow.ini setting is enabled), show a timed message like "No controllers detected. Returning to System Menu in 30 seconds." (which is auto-cancelled if a controller is subsequently detected). This is so Wiimotes can be synced. AFAIK the alternative is turning the console off and booting into Priiloader to get to the System Menu, unless you have a GC controller.

- Changing the parental lock system such that it can be re-enabled by entering the existing code. At the moment to enable it again you are actually setting a new code. This means you run the risk of accidentally setting the wrong code every time you want to re-enable the parent lock, and you won't know that until you next try to unlock it. E.g. you usually use the code 1234 but you accidentally enter 1134 when you are re-enabling the lock one day. Obviously an informed user knows to look in the .ini file.

I asked about compiling it myself as I am well aware that nobody else is fussed about these little edge-case things or things that I personally would like.

Don't take this as a lack of gratitude or as criticism. That goes for both you and the initial creator(s) of Wiiflow. It's crazy that this is even still a thing 16 years after the release of the Wii.

Last edited by NormalMisha,

ukigh4ie

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have you tried keeping the HDD in it's normal port and using whichever cIOS is configured with base IOS56?
Well, I did this and some of the singing games work. Some require Hermes according to Loadereinstellungen für Spiele. Anyway, either I get an DSI exception from WiiFlow right before the loading bar or returning from the games gives a black screen and the Wii is frozen. No return to WiiFlow in any way. Non singing games do return.

According to Wii cIOS base Compatibility List the game "We sing 80's" should start with cIOS base 56, but gives an DSI exception.

For any game emuNAND emulation is turned completly off.

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm pretty sure I am using sourceflow TBH. I'm using Shima's theme with the spinning wheel at the top level. I.e. not the old style grid layout.

Kid-friendly was a blanket term really for things that I want to add. But I think the HOME button action (Source Menu Setup) on the sourceflow tiers should be a parental lock item. A kid can mess things up in there AFAIK. Even an adult could.

Other things would be:

- If Wiiflow detects no controllers for a few seconds after boot (and a new wiiflow.ini setting is enabled), show a timed message like "No controllers detected. Returning to System Menu in 30 seconds." (which is auto-cancelled if a controller is subsequently detected). This is so Wiimotes can be synced. AFAIK the alternative is turning the console off and booting into Priiloader to get to the System Menu, unless you have a GC controller.

- Changing the parental lock system such that it can be re-enabled by entering the existing code. At the moment to enable it again you are actually setting a new code. This means you run the risk of accidentally setting the wrong code every time you want to re-enable the parent lock, and you won't know that until you next try to unlock it. E.g. you usually use the code 1234 but you accidentally enter 1134 when you are re-enabling the lock one day. Obviously an informed user knows to look in the .ini file.

I asked about compiling it myself as I am well aware that nobody else is fussed about these little edge-case things or things that I personally would like.

Don't take this as a lack of gratitude or as criticism. That goes for both you and the initial creator(s) of Wiiflow. It's crazy that this is even still a thing 16 years after the release of the Wii.
I think source menu goes to the menus where you select systems/tiers and source flow is where you select games. So our problem is probably source menu related.

For the source menu setup being I can't think of a solution, but for the other buttons on screen you can change them to blank .pngs, (I've done this with my theme, I'm gonna put some images)

Is it possible to show my own text (or images of text if necessary) when the user presses the + button whilst viewing an item? I have seen Wiimpathy's emulator database with images etc., but I just want to show some explanatory text for a few games. I don't want the whole thing ideally.

You can edit the text on the Wiimpathy's system.xml with a text editor, or just use it as a base to create your own.

Sometimes we have to work a lot to configure it the way we want, but Wiiflow is really awesome. I really love it <3

Attachments

• Jun-03-2022-19h51m16s.png
    Jun-03-2022-19h51m16s.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Jun-03-2022-19h52m02s.png
    Jun-03-2022-19h52m02s.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 43

NormalMisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think source menu goes to the menus where you select systems/tiers and source flow is where you select games. So our problem is probably source menu related.

For the source menu setup being I can't think of a solution, but for the other buttons on screen you can change them to blank .pngs, (I've done this with my theme, I'm gonna put some images)

You can edit the text on the Wiimpathy's system.xml with a text editor, or just use it as a base to create your own.

Sometimes we have to work a lot to configure it the way we want, but Wiiflow is really awesome. I really love it <3
Your theme is crazy cool.

Reactions: Muliro

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you, I've been working on it for some time now and I'm gonna share it when it's done .
It will come in Black and White version, but I will not be able to support every system we have plugins for since the goal is to use pixel art for everything. But it covers around 80% of the plugins I think.

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, @fledge68. I'm starting to edit the menus of Wiiflow and I was wondering if you can point me some directions.

I noticed the home menu buttons are made of 3 images, a left, a center and a right button images and their selected versions. What I want to do, if possible, is to make this with only one image I have for each option.
I can't test it right now but I'm thinking if it will work changing the "button_font" under [GENERAL] on my theme.ini to a empty font, so I get rid of the text overlay and the text on my image becomes the text.
If everything fails, I think I can just make them all part of the background image and find a way to make a empty .png for the button and find a way to make a button_s to work as some kind of selection, maybe.

(oh and btw, I'm doing all my edits since the begin by hand on notepadd ++ and doing the tedious change of the sd card from my pc to my wii all the time over and over, is there a easier way? I tried loading wiiflow on dolphin one time had no sucess but never asked about it anyway.)

I'm attaching a sketch to ilustrate what I'm thinking about.
Thank you.

Attachments

• menu.png
    menu.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 44

spinoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(oh and btw, I'm doing all my edits since the begin by hand on notepadd ++ and doing the tedious change of the sd card from my pc to my wii all the time over and over, is there a easier way? I tried loading wiiflow on dolphin one time had no sucess but never asked about it anyway.)
hi, i do my experiments using ftpii on the wii side (https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ftpii) and a ftp client on the pc side.
if you are on the same wifi connection, you can work on your files and upload them to the wii without removing your sd card.

Last edited by spinoman,
Reactions: Muliro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol