Hacking WiiFlow Lite

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean, exactly: ' gameid.wbfs '?
Or as in (for Mario Galaxy): ' RMGE01.wbfs '?

(I appreciate your tenacity.
My hope is either, the issue is client-side and I find out exactly what is causing what crashes and reboots and I can clarify for any future users. Or its a larger overarching issue with WiiFlow Lite itself and this could potentially be replicatable. With the hopes it could be patched out so no one else has to deal with trying to troubleshoot this much :lol:)
Rmge01.wbfs

SlippyFling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rmge01.wbfs
Changing game's file names hasn't noticeably affected anything. Although thank you for the suggestion.

So I've restricted myself from adding or altering any files in WiiFlow Lite, no source menu, game covers, extracting NAND etc.
I've also renamed every game to their respective IDs, just to be safe. Now, its at a point where its just annoyingly inconsistent.

Some examples being:
-If I launch New Super Mario Bros, it plays fine. If I proceed to launch Super Mario Galaxy, it plays fine. But if I decide to launch New Super Mario Bros again, it reboots to the System Menu.

-Playing just about anything having extracted NAND to the vwiinand folder almost always results in a crash/vWii reboot

-Trying to play Mario Kart Wii at all, with more then one game in the wbfs folder, will result in a glitchy WiiFlow logo, proceeded by an indefinite black screen no matter what. Forcing me to have to unplug. However if I remove all other game files from the wbfs folder, it launches and plays wonderfully.)

I have installed and reinstalled the necessary IOS' multiple times, tried launching Mario Kart Wii through IOS 249, 250, and 251. I've tried both installing Mario Kart Wii again, and finding other's wbfs online, to no avail. I reload the cache every chance I get. I've deleted the wiiflow_lite.ini file multiple times for clean resets. I've reinstalled WiiFlow Lite more times then I can count.

I'm running out of ideas...

Last edited by SlippyFling,

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
why is it that when I plug the nunchuck on wiiflow menu it starts to automatically scroll left? I had to unplug the nunchuck so wiiflow let me select a game.
Using wiimote plus+nunchuck both working perfectly. Can someone try reproduce this?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changing game's file names hasn't noticeably affected anything. Although thank you for the suggestion.

So I've restricted myself from adding or altering any files in WiiFlow Lite, no source menu, game covers, extracting NAND etc.
I've also renamed every game to their respective IDs, just to be safe. Now, its at a point where its just annoyingly inconsistent.

Some examples being:
-If I launch New Super Mario Bros, it plays fine. If I proceed to launch Super Mario Galaxy, it plays fine. But if I decide to launch New Super Mario Bros again, it reboots to the System Menu.

-Playing just about anything having extracted NAND to the vwiinand folder almost always results in a crash/vWii reboot

-Trying to play Mario Kart Wii at all, with more then one game in the wbfs folder, will result in a glitchy WiiFlow logo, proceeded by an indefinite black screen no matter what. Forcing me to have to unplug. However if I remove all other game files from the wbfs folder, it launches and plays wonderfully.)

I have installed and reinstalled the necessary IOS' multiple times, tried launching Mario Kart Wii through IOS 249, 250, and 251. I've tried both installing Mario Kart Wii again, and finding other's wbfs online, to no avail. I reload the cache every chance I get. I've deleted the wiiflow_lite.ini file multiple times for clean resets. I've reinstalled WiiFlow Lite more times then I can count.

I'm running out of ideas...
Ive heard launching wii games from sd is quite buggy especially on vwii.
why is it that when I plug the nunchuck on wiiflow menu it starts to automatically scroll left? I had to unplug the nunchuck so wiiflow let me select a game.
Using wiimote plus+nunchuck both working perfectly. Can someone try reproduce this?
does it do it every time. Make sure you are not tilting the nunchuck stick when connecting it or connect it first then start wfl

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
does it do it every time. Make sure you are not tilting the nunchuck stick when connecting it or connect it first then start wfl

yeah it does it every time I'm not even touching the nunchuck when plugging it.. the only way to stop the scrolling is to unplug it until I load a game or holding B in the wiimote and navigate using up/down in the dpad.

SlippyFling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well... uh... :huh:
I just placed the WiiFlow Mastermod 'WiiFlow' folder into the root of my SD before installing WiiFlow Lite, and renamed the wbfs folder to "TOTALLY NOT wbfs", and just redirected the Wii Path to use that fodler. Reloaded Cache.

And it seemingly works perfectly now
(I have yet to try extracting the NAND and using vwiinand to play WiiWare, so Idk about that yet :creep: But otherwise, its all working fine now)

Since this somehow seemed to have fixed my issues, perhaps you can recommend using Abs Mastermod Pack in addition to WiiFlow Lite in the OP?
(I also think it would be useful to reword the section that says to rename apps wiiflow folder, to wiiflow_lite because that is what caused me confusion. Perhaps word speaking for older releases and inform people it can be used stand-alone now)

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i need to update the OP. and github. but i figured people would read what was written where they downloaded the newest release.

as for mastermod working i'm not sure why. may have something to do with it being compiled with an older version of devkitppc and libogc. maybe the newer versions have screwed something up. i haven't much messed with the coding for launching games so it should be pretty much the same as mastermod.
mastermod is very outdated but if you just want to launch wii games from sd then it should be fine.

MrSW

Trophies
XP
Country
Brunei
where should I put gameconfig.txt for WiiFlow to use it? I am trying to launch some brawl mods, but they dont seem to work on WiiFlow, and they work on USB GX and even good old CFG, so I suspect that it has to do with WiiFlow looking for gameconfig.txt somewhere else

Last edited by MrSW,

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah it does it every time I'm not even touching the nunchuck when plugging it.. the only way to stop the scrolling is to unplug it until I load a game or holding B in the wiimote and navigate using up/down in the dpad.
strange I have no issues with nunchuck. Is your nunchuck or wiimote a knock-off? I've heard they can have problems

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
strange I have no issues with nunchuck. Is your nunchuck or wiimote a knock-off? I've heard they can have problems
they're both official. The wiimote is a motionplus one. Strange because I have never experienced any issues with either one. I use the nunchuck all the time and works perfectly. Sadly it's the only one I have so I can't do more test.
The same happened with wiiflow no-lite. I can still use it but I have to unplug the nunchuck everytime I select a game.

SlippyFling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i need to update the OP. and github. but i figured people would read what was written where they downloaded the newest release.
Yeah that's on me, lol. My apologies.

as for mastermod working i'm not sure why. may have something to do with it being compiled with an older version of devkitppc and libogc. maybe the newer versions have screwed something up. i haven't much messed with the coding for launching games so it should be pretty much the same as mastermod.
mastermod is very outdated but if you just want to launch wii games from sd then it should be fine.
To clarify, I am still using WiiFlow Lite on a fundamental level. I didn't overwrite, exclude, or replace any files included in the most recent release.

I'm using the WiiFlow Lite launcher, and WiiFlow Lite root file. I just, at a loss for ideas, went out on a limb and tried putting the ' WiiFlow ' root folder included in the Mastermod Pack in the root of my SD card before then putting all the files from the most recent release in, in addition.
(aka, I'm not using the ' :/apps/wiiflow ' folder included in Mastermod. I simply added the ' wiiflow ' folder included in the Pack to my root, then added both the apps/wiiflow folder and root wiiflow folder itself included in WiiFlow Lite.)

I don't mean to drag on, but it absolutely helped solve whatever the hell my issue was and so idk if this information could be of use for testing's sake. Worst case scenario, I can vouch vWii, in conjunction with the inevitable jank that ensues from using an SD to launch the games, can be mediated to some degree by something included in the Mastermod Pack.

templar701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah that's on me, lol. My apologies.

To clarify, I am still using WiiFlow Lite on a fundamental level. I didn't overwrite, exclude, or replace any files included in the most recent release.

I'm using the WiiFlow Lite launcher, and WiiFlow Lite root file. I just, at a loss for ideas, went out on a limb and tried putting the ' WiiFlow ' root folder included in the Mastermod Pack in the root of my SD card before then putting all the files from the most recent release in, in addition.
(aka, I'm not using the ' :/apps/wiiflow ' folder included in Mastermod. I simply added the ' wiiflow ' folder included in the Pack to my root, then added both the apps/wiiflow folder and root wiiflow folder itself included in WiiFlow Lite.)

I don't mean to drag on, but it absolutely helped solve whatever the hell my issue was and so idk if this information could be of use for testing's sake. Worst case scenario, I can vouch vWii, in conjunction with the inevitable jank that ensues from using an SD to launch the games, can be mediated to some degree by something included in the Mastermod Pack.

Admittedly, @SlippyFling, I had a comparable issue which I had intended to test until some firmer conclusions had been established, however, your posts promoted me to share. Although I'm using an original wii, like you, I'm launching every thing off a sizeable SD card of reasonable quality, Samsung 128 GB, class 10, u3, 100 MB/s read. 90 MB/s write. All my wii disc dumps are verified good iso before converting to wbfs. I would only rarely encounter a black screen after launching a wii game, on estimate, maybe 5%-7% of the time. However, one game in particular, wii sports resort (pal version), RZTP01 (md5="3aabcdd66c89a8d6d1d4c9eb7003e6ef"), just before launching, I would also receive the wiiflow graphic glitch, then black screen, forcing me to reboot. This phenomenon occurs roughly 80% of the time, with the other 20% resulting in success, with no noticeable anomalies in game. No setting are changed between trials, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Like @fledge68 said, my assumption was that the SD card is not not optimal for wii game launching, and so I intend to test the same setup with usb devices, or perhaps smaller 32 GB sized cards. Your reasons for the issue may be different from mine, but it makes interesting reading for how you solved yours, so thanks for sharing.

EDIT: These issues have seemingly been resolved: see here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-lite.422685/page-74#post-8566927

Last edited by templar701,

SlippyFling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All things said and done, I suppose I have a Side Question:
Is it at all possible to play Wii games using a GameCube controller on vWii WiiFlow? Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example?

When I try using my GameCube controller (via GameCube Controller adapter) the games ignore it entirely. I remember reading somewhere that WiiFlow reads GameCube controllers as a Bluetooth controller when trying to play Wii games on vWii? Is there ANY work-around? Whatsoever?

Nothing similarly possible to 'HID to VPAD'? No way to "trick" the system into thinking the wire plugged in is a GameCube controller, even if we'd have to bind the buttons ourself? I apologize in advance if this question seems ignorant.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All things said and done, I suppose I have a Side Question:
Is it at all possible to play Wii games using a GameCube controller on vWii WiiFlow? Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example?

When I try using my GameCube controller (via GameCube Controller adapter) the games ignore it entirely. I remember reading somewhere that WiiFlow reads GameCube controllers as a Bluetooth controller when trying to play Wii games on vWii? Is there ANY work-around? Whatsoever?

Nothing similarly possible to 'HID to VPAD'? No way to "trick" the system into thinking the wire plugged in is a GameCube controller, even if we'd have to bind the buttons ourself? I apologize in advance if this question seems ignorant.
So i'm not an expert on this sort of stuff. but ... i believe the answer is no you cannot use a gamecube controller even though those games are compatible with the gamecube controller on a real wii. but the wiiu does not have gamecube controller ports. yes there is the adapter but that is designed to be used by wiiu games. for wii games its the cIOS that controls the input/output and it would have to be patched or rewritten to get input from the gc adapter. on the other hand Nintendont can read input from the gc adapter and it runs in vwii mode. so there must be a way to get the cIOS to do it but i don't have the know how and no one seems interested in messing with the cIOS anymore.

an alternative is to inject all your wii games into a wiiu wii virtual console game. but i'm not sure if that will allow you to use the gc adapter. but you can use wiiu gamepad.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@fledge68 The issue with the source flow images is now happening less frequently, but it's not completely gone.
Now some of them (at random) are replaced by source menu icons. Again, deleting the .wfc files in the cache fixes things.

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically the cover loader problem has decided to get worse for you. Cover loader is supposed to get the wfc file. But for some unknown reason to me it sometimes randomly says it cant find the wfc or it only loads a part of it. If it loads a part of it you see a partial cover and the rest is random. If it doesnt load or find the wfc then wiiflow assumes there isnt one and begins getting the cover png and convert it to wfc which replaces the one already there. So in your case it doesnt see the full png either and moves on to get the button png. I have tried numerous times to solve this problem but to no avail. The only thing i can do is stop wiiflow from getting the png if the wfc file is not found thus the wfc is not overwritten but you will see a blank empty cover randomly from time to time.

Reactions: Hakaisha

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tetsuo Shima , do you experience this SourceFlow cache issue in the standard Rhapsodii theme? Or only in Rhapsodii Shima?

I am curious if your larger images may be the culprit of this issue. I have often run into issues with WFC creation with larger images in SourceFlow.

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes you did originally say grilled