Hacking WiiFlow Lite

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I have searched this thread and found nothing about it.

I just upgraded from Wiiflow Lite 5.4.6 to the latest stable version (v5.4.9 April 3rd, 2021) and some games load in other languages. I have also tested one game and it doesn't load (DBZ BT 3).

I've even tried the beta I put @fledge68 in the plugins thread and the same thing happens, so I'm back to 5.4.6.
That is a bizarre problem. I can't recall any change from 5.4.6 to 5.4.9 that would cause games to load in other languages. The only thing i can think of is some video patching changes that @blackb0x did. but i wouldn't think they would have any effect on the language of the game.

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry @fledge68 and @blackb0x

The failure seems to be my fault. I use Priiloader to start the Wii from an installed file and I had version 5.4.6 installed. Once Wiiflow is started, Wiiflow Lite 5.4.6 appears in the credits and maybe when running a game it accesses the new version of wiiflow lite in the app folder and creates problems.

Sorry fellows, I have wasted your time.

I test Wiiflow 5.4.7 / 5.4.8 / 5-4-9 but I have launched them from Homebrew Channer.
Languaje ok in all version and the games work all that I tested.

Reactions: fledge68

mive

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
WFL is freaking gorgeous, I'm determined to get it set up right; but I cannot for the life of me get emuNAND working. I used WFL's and dumping tool, and everything looks fine, but whenever I try to launch a WiiWare game from Emunand, it crashed to a black screen and the system has to be hard rebooted. I've tried multiple SD cards, and the WiiWare titles run just fine from real NAND (and even from my SD card if I move them to it from the Wii menu). It's super frustrating. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I have the same issue, none of the emunand stuff is working for me, always crash to black screen (while the same vc titles work without problems with usb loader gx and emunand).

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry to come back with a question that might be stupid, but I'm updating a wii with wiiflow and there are some things that I haven't touched for a long time and I've forgotten how they work.

The last thing I need to do is to make Virtual Console and Wiiware games work from Wiiflow Lite and if it's possible to get back to the real NAND on exit. (emunand in USB)

I have problems with neek2o, there is a lot of information in the forum thanks to @Cyan , @fledge68 and @RunningSnakes among other people, but I'm doing something wrong and I can only get one game to work (TV Show King from wiware) and this game doesn't need neek2o... So, trying again and again to follow your advice, I'm getting confused.

If it's not too much trouble to touch the subject again, let's see if you can help me.

To begin with, I have bootmii installed as boot2, but I'm not sure if for an emunand and neek2o it's necessary to install bootmii as ios.

Thanks

Reactions: RunningSnakes

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to come back with a question that might be stupid, but I'm updating a wii with wiiflow and there are some things that I haven't touched for a long time and I've forgotten how they work.

The last thing I need to do is to make Virtual Console and Wiiware games work from Wiiflow Lite and if it's possible to get back to the real NAND on exit. (emunand in USB)

I have problems with neek2o, there is a lot of information in the forum thanks to @Cyan , @fledge68 and @RunningSnakes among other people, but I'm doing something wrong and I can only get one game to work (TV Show King from wiware) and this game doesn't need neek2o... So, trying again and again to follow your advice, I'm getting confused.

If it's not too much trouble to touch the subject again, let's see if you can help me.

To begin with, I have bootmii installed as boot2, but I'm not sure if for an emunand and neek2o it's necessary to install bootmii as ios.

Thanks
Stop trying to use neek2o. It's only necessary for about 8 games. Usb loaders can launch games on a emunand just fine without it.

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Stop trying to use neek2o. It's only necessary for about 8 games. Usb loaders can launch games on a emunand just fine without it.
You're right and Neek2o was only used with some games, the rest were fine but now I've only got one working.

That's why I'm trying to start from the beginning because I'm not sure if I've touched something I shouldn't have. I no longer have the wii where all the emunand games worked and I can't compare to see the differences. One of the options I'm considering is to restore the wii to factory and start over by installing bootmii, that's why I asked if having it in boot2 is enough or if I also have to install it in ios.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right and Neek2o was only used with some games, the rest were fine but now I've only got one working.

That's why I'm trying to start from the beginning because I'm not sure if I've touched something I shouldn't have. I no longer have the wii where all the emunand games worked and I can't compare to see the differences. One of the options I'm considering is to restore the wii to factory and start over by installing bootmii, that's why I asked if having it in boot2 is enough or if I also have to install it in ios.
you don't need to worry about bootmii. bootmii was /is a way of starting sneek/uneek. wiiflow doesn't use bootmii for your emunand. all you need is to create an emunand folder structure, install your game wads to it, set the path to it in wiiflow, and tell wiiflow if you full or partial emulation. when you launch a game wiiflow will load it and tell the cIOS to play it. when you exit the game you should return to wiiflow.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, also install bootmii as IOS. I don't know if it's necessary, but it can't hurt and my working Wiiflow-Lite-with-neek2o setup has bootmii installed as both boot2 and ios.

Feel free to message me if you need more help. NEEK isn't the USB loader devs' problem, it's an inheritance of dubious provenance for the rest of us to troubleshoot.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, also install bootmii as IOS. I don't know if it's necessary, but it can't hurt and my working Wiiflow-Lite-with-neek2o setup has bootmii installed as both boot2 and ios.

Feel free to message me if you need more help. NEEK isn't the USB loader devs' problem, it's an inheritance of dubious provenance for the rest of us to troubleshoot.
(Smacks hand on forehead, shakes head, and wonders why do I even bother trying to help)

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Thank you for your help, I will keep this in mind. ;)

But it's also true what @fledge68 says and I don't know much about the subject so I really appreciate your explanations and they also help me to learn new things "you shouldn't try to run before you learn to walk".

that's cool but this guy obviously is a beginner and has no idea what he's doing so I was trying to keep it simple. which means wait till later to bring up neek2o and bootmii.

Exactly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done some tests that I would like to share and maybe that can be useful for someone else.

PART 1

I have created a EmuNand in two different ways:

- I create an emunand from my nand backup with ShowMiiWads and the option "Extract bootmii dump" (I call the emunand Nand1)
- I createan emunand with Modmii (ModmiiSkin)

I install the games in the emunand with ShowMiiWads

The result is the same with both EmuNand.

Test 1 (without NEEK)

Structure of my SD:
- App
--- Wiiflow
--- SysCheckHDE
- Backup Nand
- nands
--- Nand1
- Wiiflow
- IOSsyscheck.log
- sysCheck.csv

Content sysCheck

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition por JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, y Nano

...ejecutado en IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: PAL

Menu de Sistema 4.3E (v514)

Priiloader instalado

Fecha de la unidad: 07.09.2006

Canal Homebrew 1.1.2 ejecutandose en IOS58

Hollywood v0x11

ID de consola: 75857528

Tipo de consola: Wii

Pais del Canal Tienda: Spain (105)

Boot2 v4

69 titulos encontrados.

Se encontraron 48 IOS en esta consola. 12 de ellos son stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub

IOS9 (rev 1034): Sin Parches

IOS10 (rev 768): Stub

IOS11 (rev 256): Stub

IOS12 (rev 526): Sin Parches

IOS13 (rev 1032): Sin Parches

IOS14 (rev 1032): Sin Parches

IOS15 (rev 1032): Sin Parches

IOS16 (rev 512): Stub

IOS17 (rev 1032): Sin Parches

IOS20 (rev 256): Stub

IOS21 (rev 1039): Sin Parches

IOS22 (rev 1294): Sin Parches

IOS28 (rev 1807): Sin Parches

IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub

IOS31 (rev 3608): Sin Parches

IOS33 (rev 3608): Sin Parches

IOS34 (rev 3608): Sin Parches

IOS35 (rev 3608): Sin Parches

IOS36 (rev 3608): Sin Parches

IOS37 (rev 5663): Sin Parches

IOS38 (rev 4124): Sin Parches

IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub

IOS41 (rev 3607): Sin Parches

IOS43 (rev 3607): Sin Parches

IOS45 (rev 3607): Sin Parches

IOS46 (rev 3607): Sin Parches

IOS48 (rev 4124): Sin Parches

IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub

IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub

IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub

IOS53 (rev 5663): Sin Parches

IOS55 (rev 5663): Sin Parches

IOS56 (rev 5662): Sin Parches

IOS57 (rev 5919): Sin Parches

IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0

IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub

IOS61 (rev 5662): Sin Parches

IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub

IOS80 (rev 6944): Sin Parches

IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS222[38] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Bug Trucha, ES Identify, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS223[37] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS249[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v8final): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS250[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v8final): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0

IOS251[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v8final): Bug Trucha, ES Identify, Acceso NAND

IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii

BC v6

MIOS v10

Reporte generado el 18/09/2021.

Bootmii installed as boot2 - Yes
Bootmii installed as ios - No

Wiiflow Lite with default options and select EmuNand (Partial emulation) : Nand 1

Tests:

- TV Show King works correctly
- Contra Rebirth works correctly
- Jett Rocket and FAST Racing League (Shin'en) both show a message on screen, one in Spanish and one in German but the message is the same (I think): "The game system files are corrupted, download again from the shop...".)
- Several other games, the game loading bar appears but then stays black.
In one game I tried to change video modes but it didn't work).

Test 2 (without NEEK)

Bootmii installed as ios - Yes

The result is the same that Test 1

Test 3 (With Neek2o)

All the games that didn't work before, now start (I haven't tested thoroughly if they work).

Games that don't need NEEK

- TV Show King (Europe)
- Contra ReBirth (Europe)

Games that need to use neeko2:

- Castlevania - The Adventure ReBirth (Europe)
- FAST Racing League (Europe)
- Fish'em All (Europe)
- Robox (Europe)
- Alien Crush Returns (Europe)
- Jett Rocket (Europe)
- Midnight Pool (Europe)
- Swords & Soldiers (Europe)
- TV Show King 2 (Europe)
- World of Goo (Europe)
- Zombie Panic in Wonderland (Europe)

Test 4 (without NEEK)

Wiiflow Lite with default options and select EmuNand (Complete emulation) : Nand 1

Work Perfect

- TV Show King (Europe)
- Fish'em All (Europe)
- Robox (Europe)
- Jett Rocket (Europe)
- Midnight Pool (Europe)
- World of Goo (Europe)

Not Work (need Neek2o)

- Castlevania - The Adventure ReBirth (Europe) --- It doesn't go beyond the Konami logo
- Castlevania - The Adventure ReBirth (USA) --- It doesn't go beyond the Konami logo

Last edited by Jate,

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello again

After spending a few hours over the weekend testing and reading comments and explanations in forums for the previous tests, I have achieved my goal and I would like to share some information here in case it might be useful. All this from my point of view and my own tests.

Is it necessary to install bootmii as ios to use neek2o?

With Wiiflow Lite, actually yes.
But perhaps @fledge68 can modify Wiiflow Lite so that BootMii is not needed as IOS (like USB Loader GX).

2- Is Neek2o necessary for Wiiware and Virtual Console games to work with Wiiflow Lite?
As @fledge68 has repeated several times, it is not necessary for most games. But in many games need to use the Complete Nand emulation.

And well, I'm not bothering anymore and I hope that some of the above will help someone.

Well, I have achieved my goal, I hope this is useful and if I can help in any way, I'll be here.;)

Last edited by Jate,

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your help, I will keep this in mind. ;)

But it's also true what @fledge68 says and I don't know much about the subject so I really appreciate your explanations and they also help me to learn new things "you shouldn't try to run before you learn to walk".

Exactly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done some tests that I would like to share and maybe that can be useful for someone else.

I create an emunand from my nand backup :

- ShowMiiWads --- Extract bootmii dump (I call the emunand Nand1)

I install the games in the emunand with ShowMiiWads

Test 1

Structure of my SD:

Content sysCheck

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition por JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, y Nano
...ejecutado en IOS58 (rev 6176).
Region: PAL
Menu de Sistema 4.3E (v514)
Priiloader instalado
Fecha de la unidad: 07.09.2006
Canal Homebrew 1.1.2 ejecutandose en IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
ID de consola: 75857528
Tipo de consola: Wii
Pais del Canal Tienda: Spain (105)
Boot2 v4
65 titulos encontrados.
Se encontraron 45 IOS en esta consola. 14 de ellos son stubs.
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): Sin Parches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): Sin Parches
IOS13 (rev 1032): Sin Parches
IOS14 (rev 1032): Sin Parches
IOS15 (rev 1032): Sin Parches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): Sin Parches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): Sin Parches
IOS22 (rev 1294): Sin Parches
IOS28 (rev 1807): Sin Parches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): Sin Parches
IOS33 (rev 3608): Sin Parches
IOS34 (rev 3608): Sin Parches
IOS35 (rev 3608): Sin Parches
IOS36 (rev 3608): Sin Parches
IOS37 (rev 5663): Sin Parches
IOS38 (rev 4124): Sin Parches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): Sin Parches
IOS43 (rev 3607): Sin Parches
IOS45 (rev 3607): Sin Parches
IOS46 (rev 3607): Sin Parches
IOS48 (rev 4124): Sin Parches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): Sin Parches
IOS55 (rev 5663): Sin Parches
IOS56 (rev 5662): Sin Parches
IOS57 (rev 5919): Sin Parches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): Sin Parches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): Sin Parches
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Bug Trucha, Acceso NAND, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65280): Stub
BC v6
MIOS v10
Reporte generado el 15/09/2021.

Bootmii installed as ios - No

Wiiflow Lite with default options and select emunand: Nand 1

Tests:

- TV Show King works correctly
- Contra Rebirth works correctly
- Jett Rocket and FAST Racing League (Shin'en) both show a message on screen, one in Spanish and one in German but the message is the same (I think): "The game system files are corrupted, download again from the shop...".)
- Several other games, the game loading bar appears but then stays black.
In one game I tried to change video modes but it didn't work).
- No test game that work with neek2o

Test 1-B

Same tests with emunand created with Modmii (ModmiiSkin) and install game in the same way.

The result is the same as with the previous emunand.

Test 2

The result is the same that Test 1
Any chance you are you mixing
Hello again

As the previous tests didn't clear anything, I tried to install NEEK and succeeded (neek2o).

After spending a few hours over the weekend testing and reading comments and explanations in forums, I have achieved my goal and I would like to share some information here in case it might be useful. All this from my point of view and my own tests.

1- Is it necessary to install bootmii as ios to use an emunand?
Yes

According to my tests, I think the possible options are:

Bootmii as boot2 only = It doesn't work.
Bootmii as boot2 + Bootmii as IOS = Works correctly.
Bootmii as IOS only = Works correctly

2- Is Neek2o necessary for Wiiware and Virtual Console games to work with Wiiflow Lite?
As @fledge68 has repeated several times, it is not necessary for most games. ( You can see it in the tests I did in the previous post, although only 2 games worked there, but I don't think it's normal :unsure:)
But there are a number of games that don't work without activating this mode and it happens that almost all my games need it, that's why I've had so many problems.:blush:

As a curiosity I leave a mini compatibility list:

Games that don't need NEEK

- TV Show King (Europe)

Games that need to use neeko2:

- Castlevania - The Adventure ReBirth (Europe)
- Fish'em All (Europe)
- Robox (Europe)
- Jett Rocket (Europe)
- Midnight Pool (Europe)
- World of Goo (Europe)

This may vary with the region of the game

Some games that need to activate neek2o, take a bit of time to start, as a fellow forum member (not sure who he is) said.

As a tip for those who want to test their games, if you see the loading bar appear (it is white and appears briefly) and then the game doesn't start immediately, that game almost certainly needs to activate neek2o.
The waiting time also depends on the storage device (SD, USB, HDD).

And well, I'm not bothering anymore and I hope that some of the above will help someone.

Well, I have achieved my goal, I hope this is useful and if I can help in any way, I'll be here.;)
so jett rocket (usa) and world of goo (usa) work for me without neek2o. my experience with games that need neek2o is they start to run but then freeze on certain screen. such n64 games say 'you need classic controller' and then freeze. toki tori loads but as soon as i select play game it freezes. if you don't see the white loading bar my guess is you have to force a video mode since you are using PAL games. also keep in mind certain cIOS are made to work with emunand and others don't. and i still don't know why you need bootmii for emunand unless you are using it launch neek2o.

Reactions: Jate

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like neek2o is bypassing an issue with his realnand (CIOS?) setup. A fully updated Wii softmod should perform in line with the compatibility list at https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List for CIOS emunand but @Jate is relying on it for a wider selection of games.

Of course, @fledge68 is right: if none of the games you were interested in required neek2o it is unnecessary. But at least it's a workaround for now, since in neek2o you're bypassing your realnand CIOS.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like neek2o is bypassing an issue with his realnand (CIOS?) setup. A fully updated Wii softmod should perform in line with the compatibility list at https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List for CIOS emunand but @Jate is relying on it for a wider selection of games.

Of course, @fledge68 is right: if none of the games you were interested in required neek2o it is unnecessary. But at least it's a workaround for now, since in neek2o you're bypassing your realnand CIOS.
Thanks for the compatibility list. It does show that some of the games on his 'require neek2o list' should work if you have the right cIOS installed and the game set to use that cIOS. but if he's happy with his setup i guess that's all that matters.

Reactions: XFlak

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
so jett rocket (usa) and world of goo (usa) work for me without neek2o. my experience with games that need neek2o is they start to run but then freeze on certain screen. such n64 games say 'you need classic controller' and then freeze. toki tori loads but as soon as i select play game it freezes. if you don't see the white loading bar my guess is you have to force a video mode since you are using PAL games. also keep in mind certain cIOS are made to work with emunand and others don't. and i still don't know why you need bootmii for emunand unless you are using it launch neek2o.
Well, I hadn't thought about what you say, I've tested that the games started but I haven't played any of them. And after your comments I think it's best to use games from another region and if better if I avoid activating neek2o. In case I have to activate it, I'll try the game for a while.

I did some tests with a game forcing the video mode but it didn't work, but maybe I didn't try any mode...:blush:

And about bootmii being necessary to use emunand, that's my mistake and I correct it now. I meant that you need to have bootmii installed as IOS so you can activate neek2o in the games, at least in my case it was like that. When I checked that the games worked with neek2o, I uninstalled bootmii as IOS and only with bootmii as boot2 the games that use neek2o didn't work and when I reinstalled bootmii as IOS they worked again.
Also, in the first test I did (several posts ago) when I only had bootmii installed as boot2, Contra ReBirth and TV Show King worked fine from the emunand (without having installed NEEK or bootmii as IOS).

Thanks for the compatibility list, I hadn't seen it. I will check it out y si evito el neek2o tal vez sea lo mejor.
Besides, I'm not interested in many games. Maybe I can install them on the real Nand of the console and avoid problems, right?

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just want to admit when i'm wrong. after studying wiiflow and usb loader gx neek/neek2o bootup process. It appears that wiiflow does use IOS254 (which is bootmii IOS) and usb loader gx seems to use some new code by crediar that doesn't use IOS254 but seems to patch Boot2 in memory.

So for now if I understand things correctly it appears you do need bootmii IOS254 to launch games with neek2o. i may try adding the crediar way to wiiflow.

Jate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
just want to admit when i'm wrong. after studying wiiflow and usb loader gx neek/neek2o bootup process. It appears that wiiflow does use IOS254 (which is bootmii IOS) and usb loader gx seems to use some new code by crediar that doesn't use IOS254 but seems to patch Boot2 in memory.

So for now if I understand things correctly it appears you do need bootmii IOS254 to launch games with neek2o. i may try adding the crediar way to wiiflow.
I guess it depends on whether there can be problems with having bootmii installed both ways.

Looking for information I've seen that most people have bootmii as IOS and few consoles are compatible with boot2. If this is true, I don't think it will be necessary to change the way to launch neek, although there will be problems for those who only have bootmii installed as boot2, as it was my case.

Last edited by Jate,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1