Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I expected this would happen but I have to laugh at the advanced name. Time will tell which side ends up with a better USB loader. Hopefully they will each continue to do well and spur each other to new heights. Me, I'm sticking with Wiiflow-mod AKA WiiFlow since it has the enhanced categories that I asked for some time ago.
What's to laugh about? Have you seen the last changelog? Have you used r425+? If you're not being biased then I think you should see how well it runs since Wiiflow-Advanced will perform like a completely different beast, with sections of code ultimately being completely re-written for efficiency and where some already have.
Advanced to me means more features and WiiFlow-Advanced has some catching up to do with WiiFlow-mod. I have used r425 and it didn't seem any faster to me than r230 and r230 has more to offer right now. I hope that mugoto can continue to advance his branch and that we all benefit from the competition.
My apologies for calling you biased, it was uncalled for and I got caught up in the heat of something else.
No worries :)

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that Wiiflow and Wiiflow Adv. use different folders on SD for settings and themes to allow simultaneous testing.

You can do that yourself by changing the defines in source, i currenly have both side by side using their own resources, wiiflow and wiiflow-mod, it only takes a second but all varients of any app should use respective folders and names.

Sent from my GT-I9100

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I hope that Wiiflow and Wiiflow Adv. use different folders on SD for settings and themes to allow simultaneous testing.

You can do that yourself by changing the defines in source, i currenly have both side by side using their own resources, wiiflow and wiiflow-mod, it only takes a second but all varients of any app should use respective folders and names.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Thanks Pep, I know we can change the source but I meant by default for the masses.
Just checked and found that advanced using its own folder already.

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States

Sent from my GT-I9100
Thanks Pep, I know we can change the source but I meant by default for the masses.

That's already done, but I do think that in the next few revs the name may be changing to "WiiFlow+" since wiiflow_advanced.ini (and the matching foldername) are kinda aesthetically challenged. Thus the now named wiiflow_advanced folder and matching folders/files will become /apps/WiiFlowPlus. I knew the importance of having clear distinction between each app and side by side seperation for compatibility. .

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: I have been working on 3tb drives compatibility. You can find a link to a test dol on the first post of [post='324332']Wiiflow-Advanced[/post] (under the test versions spoiler), or in the topic of #wiiflow-advanced on irc.abjects.net

Kovani

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPDATE: I have been working on 3tb drives compatibility. You can find a link to a test dol on the first post of [post='324332']Wiiflow-Advanced[/post] (under the test versions spoiler), or in the topic of #wiiflow-advanced on irc.abjects.net
You have created your own thread for your own project, so use it. Your project has nothing to do with the official one and I'm afraid you're adding confusion to this situation.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just had a cool idea although I assume it would be for later on down the line since I'm guessing it would take quite a bit of work.

I was looking at the Cover Mods for the emulators SNES9x-GX, VBA-GX and FCE Ultra-GX and I thought "Wouldn't this be cool it if had the same gui as wiiflow?"
So I thought I'd mention it ... How hard would it be to add those and/or other emulators to wiiflow?
I don't know if any of them support any direct loading arguments or anything but would it be possible to just look through the games in coverflow and then pass control over to the existing emulator to play the game?

Edit : Actually, any emulators would be cool. I'd love to have all my games in the same place and what better place than WiiFlow.

Reactions: 1 person

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
You have created your own thread for your own project, so use it. Your project has nothing to do with the official one and I'm afraid you're adding confusion to this situation.
I find it more than fair to let people know that the developer of the (EDIT:)WiiFlow for the past 3yrs or so, has moved onto developing Wiiflow-Advanced/Plus and give everyone a chance to acclimate to the changes.

Reactions: 2 people

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
I just had a cool idea although I assume it would be for later on down the line since I'm guessing it would take quite a bit of work.

I was looking at the Cover Mods for the emulators SNES9x-GX, VBA-GX and FCE Ultra-GX and I thought "Wouldn't this be cool it if had the same gui as wiiflow?"
So I thought I'd mention it ... How hard would it be to add those and/or other emulators to wiiflow?
I don't know if any of them support any direct loading arguments or anything but would it be possible to just look through the games in coverflow and then pass control over to the existing emulator to play the game?

Edit : Actually, any emulators would be cool. I'd love to have all my games in the same place and what better place than WiiFlow.
Yes, this has been a plan of mine for the past year or so, I might just do that before I add DML even.
I find it more than fair to let people know that the developer of the official WiiFlow has moved onto developing Wiiflow-Advanced/Plus and give everyone a chance to acclimate to the changes.
Agreed, they insisted on using this thread for their support and release information and spam, and insisted they be the "wiiflow" project. I have included a link to this thread in my first post of the Advanced thread, and here should do the same for my project since as of this point neither project is any less valid than the other. Until the entire userbase is aware of the situation I will continue to post updates here as well, and redirect support for my fork to my thread.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Agreed, they insisted on using this thread for their support and release information and spam, and insisted they be the "wiiflow" project. "so who is spamming who? looks to me your spamming this thread. you have your own thread,named what you wanted an also stickied.(this i don't agree with,seeing that another great app, has never been sticked, that should be,"postloader")
i'm not a mod so it's not my call.. but i still don't see why your insisting on beating a dead horse.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I find it more than fair to let people know that the developer of the official WiiFlow has moved onto developing Wiiflow-Advanced/Plus and give everyone a chance to acclimate to the changes.
Has Hibernatus joined the Wiiflow-Advanced/Plus "team"?

People need to stop using the word "official" when referring to either of these wiiflow mod projects. Judging by the following post I think even Miigotu\Mugotu would agree.
neither project is any less valid than the other.

On a side note...
Until the entire userbase is aware of the situation I will continue to post updates here as well, and redirect support for my fork to my thread.
This is just a little unrealistic to expect to ever happen, you may as well say "until pigs fly". I don't think you really need to "hijack" this thread (for lack of a better term), both projects will develop their own fan base naturally over time. I think by posting comments like that here you're just stirring up trouble.

Perhaps a fair compromise would be to close this thread entirely and edit the first post with links to both projects. Then there should be no motivation for anyone to post info about WiiFlow Mod A in the WiiFlow Mod B thread and vice versa.

Reactions: 4 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
There have been many others commenting in this thread about other loaders. Usually, they mention features that they would like to see in WiiFlow, though. There are those who post versions here they have personally modded, too, with features they would like to see in one of the mainstream versions.

You could try to take his post as something like that (use your imagination if you have to) but the point is BOTH sides in this just really need to C.H.I.L.L. .O.U.T ! ! !

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps a fair compromise would be to close this thread entirely and edit the first post with links to both projects. Then there should be no motivation for anyone to post info about WiiFlow Mod A in the WiiFlow Mod B thread and vice versa.
I agree with your fair solution at the end, but until something like that happens, or until the transition is common knowledge, I still think its necessary to keep everyone informed of progress. Huge/drastic changes like the swapping of projects like this take more than 1 day to transition. Its not really hijacking a thread considering it was the thread for the project I have been the sole developer on for over a year (since r-win left), and where I was co-lead dev for the year before that, and junior/second in command for the year before that.

That compromise was what I wanted to happen since this controversy started, disallow further commits to wiiflow.googlecode.com, close this thread with the first and last post having links to both of our threads, and we each set out on our own under our own names. ("The basic "Wiiflow" being retired/shelved). Then after 6 months or so maybe after both projects have matured on their own, and the heat between both camps has cooled, we could submit patches back to r-win and both projects, and maybe r-win if he has time, can review those changes before they are added. Hell maybe even one day the split can be rejoined and we can work together, it is just not an option at the current crossroads. "3 projects?" you might ask, but I do not mean for 3 projects, I mean to lock down the current main SVN and let it be both projects' base. There was a time when I wanted to work together with FIX94 to bring you all one project to use. I don't think its truly that both of us aren't able to work with others its simply that I'm a little too aggressive and he may be a little to sensitive for a good working relationship, or some other reason IDK, we just don't mesh.

I mean, if the plan was to turn the svn over to them why would they wait until I did so much work after I returned only to boot me from the project? Now I don't mean that in an attacking way, these are just the questions I ask myself. One of many that fuel my irritation with it.
I really think an outside player needs to discuss with both sides to mediate, and be unbiased. This means disregarding all of the hate spam that has gone around, from myself as well. Both sides also should respect the decision of the mediator.

This is indeed the only fully fair compromise/solution in my oppinion, but my feelings will not be hurt if noone agrees. I'm perfectly happy making a stand of my own as you all have seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1