Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

2lux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
this message was not specially for you ..
it was for the dev of wiiflow
smile.gif

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Allright, so I've fixed the ehcmodule of Hermes rev5 to include FAT/NTFS support. I'm not sure if savegame emulation will work, because the memory that is required for libfat in ARM is already used by the fraglist, which is used by FAT/NTFS support.

About the .ciso format, it can be done using a fraglist. I've talked to oggzee about it, and we'll support it sometimes. It doesn't have priority now. Priorities for now are FAT/NTFS support and rev5 support.

djbubba is testing this thing for me, and we're getting some strange crashes using NTFS drives. When those are fixed, we might make a public beta available for download and test.

xabby666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
r-win said:
Allright, so I've fixed the ehcmodule of Hermes rev5 to include FAT/NTFS support. I'm not sure if savegame emulation will work, because the memory that is required for libfat in ARM is already used by the fraglist, which is used by FAT/NTFS support.

About the .ciso format, it can be done using a fraglist. I've talked to oggzee about it, and we'll support it sometimes. It doesn't have priority now. Priorities for now are FAT/NTFS support and rev5 support.

djbubba is testing this thing for me, and we're getting some strange crashes using NTFS drives. When those are fixed, we might make a public beta available for download and test.

Very Very good news :-) Thank you very much

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
r-win said:

That's good news ! When I read that Usbloader GX added rev5 support last night, I was so disapointed to see that my favorite loader was late. Good news !

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Tetram said:
That's good news ! When I read that Usbloader GX added rev5 support last night, I was so disapointed to see that my favorite loader was late. Good news !
I suppose your favorite loader is Wiiflow? In that case, it'll always be late, since I'm coding stuff on GX also
smile.gif
When I've added new things to USB GX, I'll add it to Wiiflow. That means more people have been testing it (USB GX users), resulting in more stable releases of Wiiflow.

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
r-win said:
Tetram said:
I suppose your favorite loader is Wiiflow? In that case, it'll always be late, since I'm coding stuff on GX also
smile.gif
When I've added new things to USB GX, I'll add it to Wiiflow. That means more people have been testing it (USB GX users), resulting in more stable releases of Wiiflow.

good strategy
wink.gif

leemufc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spidy1000 said:
r-win said:
Tetram said:
smile.gif

good strategy
wink.gif
+1

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
r-win said:

I absolutely love the sound of that.

Also please consider whether WiiFlow would benefit from the new stuff, as it really shouldn't be competing with GX for all the features.

It is an amazing user interface, which is very customisable, and as long as that is kept as functional as possible I'm sure it's users will be delighted.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fluffykiwi said:
r-win said:

I absolutely love the sound of that.

Also please consider whether WiiFlow would benefit from the new stuff, as it really shouldn't be competing with GX for all the features.

It is an amazing user interface, which is very customisable, and as long as that is kept as functional as possible I'm sure it's users will be delighted.
This is another reason why I hope if anything has to be kept intact, its all the WiiFlow themes.
tongue.gif
If people wanted specific customizations, then there is always USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader.

However, that doesn't mean that WiiFlow could not be updated for certain things like supporting new cIOSes.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all r-win and others involved.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
jservs7 said:
This is another reason why I hope if anything has to be kept intact, its all the WiiFlow themes.
tongue.gif
If people wanted specific customizations, then there is always USB Loader GX or Configurable USB Loader.

However, that doesn't mean that WiiFlow could not be updated for certain things like supporting new cIOSes.
biggrin.gif

Couldnt agree more.

Firstly thanks to those continuing the development.

Next, please keep the themes working with future revisions, without forcing the theme makers to update their themes repeatedly for every release. Please nurture some support from the themers, by standardising the theme layouts quickly. They will not be able to continually keep up if additional buttons mess up the themes, and eventually only the default theme will remain. Oh and I do use the default theme myself, having helped design the cover flows included to my own personal taste.
biggrin.gif
I'm not just thinking of myself here.

Finally, of course adding support for updated CIOS, NTSC/FAT, game compatability, error fixing, bugs, full cheat support, etc. would be amazing. Also if new features allows the loader to do more, play additional games, etc then great

BUT adding delays to show spinning disks, extra fan art layers, multiple ways to sort games, stats pages, game descriptions, rating systems, etc sound as if they are just throwing bells and whistles on to complicate things unnecessarily.

Just my opinion of course, and none of these added features sound bad, sorry to anyone if I picked one of your must have features, I just feel they are a bit unnecessary, and aimed for a very small audience.

btw I personally have difficulty with my own projects in practising what I preach and do tend to over complicate things. i have a tendency to do things because I've figured out how to do it, rather than because it adds to the project.

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fluffykiwi said:
BUT adding delays to show spinning disks, extra fan art layers, multiple ways to sort games, stats pages, game descriptions, rating systems, etc sound as if they are just throwing bells and whistles on to complicate things unnecessarily.

God, I hope spinning discs aren't implemented. The ones that people have made (and are on the cover databases) looks atrocious and designed by someone who had their first go at Photoshop. I wouldn't mind if they're the ACTUAL discs.

I can do without fan art, stats, descriptions and rating. A fade-in, fade-out background music implementation is welcomed so our games music doesn't clash when clicked on.

Banner loading, though... that's something I haven't seen done yet and would be an awesome addition to making themes look good.

But all of this is fluff. I'm sure the current developers knows how to prioritize. xD

Pabuffspo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I still think that making Wiiflow and GX a single loader would be a great idea...

Great GUI + Constant updates + Many great functions = Amazing loader

Spidy1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pabuffspo said:
I still think that making Wiiflow and GX a single loader would be a great idea...

Great GUI + Constant updates + Many great functions = Amazing loader

NO WAY, That will never happen, GX has a total different look and feel. There is a reason that people who like wiiflow choose it over GX. I for onde dont like GX at all, I chose Wiiflow because it looks beautiful and has no unneeded stuff in it.

The only option besides ntfs/fat support i would like to see added is banner loading, but this will be extremely difficult to code (if it is possible at all).

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
fluffykiwi said:
jservs7 said:
tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Couldnt agree more.

Next, please keep the themes working with future revisions, without forcing the theme makers to update their themes repeatedly for every release. Please nurture some support from the themers, by standardising the theme layouts quickly. They will not be able to continually keep up if additional buttons mess up the themes, and eventually only the default theme will remain. Oh and I do use the default theme myself, having helped design the cover flows included to my own personal taste.
biggrin.gif
I'm not just thinking of myself here.

Agreed, though Hibern choose to let every button and setting menu use it's own theming stuff. I've added a new menu already, which isn't themed by default. I can, of course, remove the fact that you have to specify a background for every menu, but I'm not sure if that will make the themers happy. So, for now, the themers will have to adjust their themes (Themers, respond
smile.gif
)

QUOTE(fluffykiwi @ Feb 24 2010, 10:43 PM)
Finally, of course adding support for updated CIOS, NTSC/FAT, game compatability, error fixing, bugs, full cheat support, etc. would be amazing. Also if new features allows the loader to do more, play additional games, etc then great

Well, that is easy enough. I have enough on my hands with one feature rich loader, so it's not my intension to make another one. Wiiflow is a nice and clean loader, and I'd like it to stay that way. Only bugfixing, and adding support for newer cios-es and fs-es at the moment.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
r-win said:
fluffykiwi said:

BUT adding delays to show, extra fan art layers, multiple ways to sort games, stats pages, game descriptions, rating systems, etc sound as if they are just throwing bells and whistles on to complicate things unnecessarily.
Well, that is easy enough. I have enough on my hands with one feature rich loader, so it's not my intension to make another one. Wiiflow is a nice and clean loader, and I'd like it to stay that way. Only bugfixing, and adding support for newer cios-es and fs-es at the moment.
I'm pretty happy with WiiFlow in general right now, if the Cheat Menu get's fixed, and if it's updated for newer cIOS/FS (and maybe the new Gecko-Engine), I'm happy. So I agree on nearly everything...besides the Fanarts
tongue.gif
. I think it would realy help the look, make it even more shiny
smile.gif
. It also looks like the code needed for this is already there, and for shure it could be made optional. The only problem I could think of is that there isn't enough Memory left. Though, you could only display the Pic when you select the game, which shouldn't need that much memory...please, if Fanart gets integrated, I'll have a BIG motivation to finish my/Gitkuas awesome theme
tongue.gif

Btw, @r-win: I have two questions:

-Someone posted a MOD of WiiFlow, which allows it to play .ogg AND .mp3. Is that MOD already integrated (in R28 or later)?
-Also, everytime I select a game (with R25, R27 and R28), no Music is played, and if I want to go back or launch it, I get the Error that it can't read the disc or something like that. Though everything works fawlessly in CFG-Loader...so WiiFlow must have a problem. I don't have any Idea...maybe because Wiimms WBFS-Tool set the WBFS Version to 2?

r-win

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Blue-K said:
-Someone posted a MOD of WiiFlow, which allows it to play .ogg AND .mp3. Is that MOD already integrated (in R28 or later)?
No, I didn't get the mod. I could, of course, implement that later on. It'll get a lower priority though.

QUOTE(Blue-K @ Feb 25 2010, 10:43 AM) -Also, everytime I select a game (with R25, R27 and R28), no Music is played, and if I want to go back or launch it, I get the Error that it can't read the disc or something like that. Though everything works fawlessly in CFG-Loader...so WiiFlow must have a problem. I don't have any Idea...maybe because Wiimms WBFS-Tool set the WBFS Version to 2?
Hm...I don't think the version is being checked. I've send you a PM.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
r-win said:
No, I didn't get the mod. I could, of course, implement that later on. It'll get a lower priority though.
The Mod is on the Googlecode-Page
smile.gif
. I was just asking, because this would probably be a Copy-Paste Job if the Code is alright, and a nice little addition.

Hm...I don't think the version is being checked. I've send you a PM.
Thanks, I'll test when I'm at home
smile.gif
-Blue-K

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
r-win said:
I can, of course, remove the fact that you have to specify a background for every menu, but I'm not sure if that will make the themers happy. So, for now, the themers will have to adjust their themes (Themers, respond
smile.gif
)

No keep it like it is , much more flexible if we can choose each background.
About my themes update , for those who are waiting for it ^^ , i'll do it when a next stable revision is out , including new cioses and fs-es.
Promised
wink.gif

@Blue-K : i would find very nice too to get fanarts.

Btw , when i've created my "Green" theme , i've met a problem with the memory left.
I wanted to add too much pictures , and it resulted in corrupted covers displayed.
I had to modify the theme to delete some pictures.
So i assume there's not enough memory left to work with , and fanarts could be hard to implement......

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Benjay said:
@Blue-K : i would find very nice too to get fanarts.

Btw , when i've created my "Green" theme , i've met a problem with the memory left.
I wanted to add too much pictures , and it resulted in corrupted covers displayed.
I had to modify the theme to delete some pictures.
So i assume there's not enough memory left to work with , and fanarts could be hard to implement......
Mhm, interessting...looks like we realy don't have much memory left...sad
frown.gif
. Though, doesn't WiiFlow compress the covers, and saves them in the cache-Folder? Maybe this would work here too (since the theme images don't get compressed...). Oh well...guess we'll wait for an answer of r-win/another dev...until then I'll work on the theme...

@r-win: You got a PM
smile.gif
. Thanks again for looking into this!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/OUPRttnIyio?si=bm-9qNqiusvshBAz